Not enough for kids to do in city of 25,000!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are thy buying all the kids bicycles and sandboxes? I'm starting another thread for this, Petros. Just heard on C.B.C. news that Cranbrook is getting a $100000 injection so the kids aren't so bored. What is happening? When we were kids if we had some flat ground, some sloped ground and some water we were busy and content from dawn to dusk. What's happening? Doesn't anyone shoot marbles any more? build forts? fly kites?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Those activities all present hazards to the kids and should be banned. Marbles can be swallowed. Flying kites can be hazardous around powerlines. And you can fall out of a fort. Not to mention building a tree fort without holding a union card can be extremely dangerous.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Guess they're bored cause they have too much things [X-Box Playstation Crapple's toys and more] and they do not know what to do,imagine what it would be if they had to live a week with what we had back then.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Cranbrook is getting a $100000 injection so the kids aren't so bored. What is happening? When we were kids if we had some flat ground, some sloped ground and some water we were busy and content from dawn to dusk. What's happening?
They lack creativity.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If I were a kid in Cranbrook I'd be knee deep in the Wild Horse River earnng a buck with my wash pan.

No, if you were a kid in Cranbrook you'd be screaming about wanting to play X-Box. You can't take your years of life experience and put that on a nine or ten year old. Doesn't work that way.

This is the reason adults have to teach kids, we are the ones who are supposed to know better, not them.

Starts with adults, that's all I'm saying.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The playground across the street used to sit empty evenings and weekends (except for underage hookers at in the late eve), now it's active but it's all E. Indian immigrant kids.

Culture might be playing a role too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do they lack it or are we, as a society, stifling it?

I think you might be on to something there. Many parents do too much for their kids, but in the wrong way, they throw money at them so they can appease the pressures placed by the corporate sector so they can sell more junk. I remember as a kid my dad building sleds and wagons etc. for us, but he never gave us more than a quarter. Of course all the stuff he built was from odds and ends of junk or from a chunk of cedar he brought in out of the bush. The problem today is we'll never get back to that sort of thing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Come to think of it...after doing my chores to earn my keep, I was too pooped to play or stare at the toob.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Those activities all present hazards to the kids and should be banned. Marbles can be swallowed. Flying kites can be hazardous around powerlines. And you can fall out of a fort. Not to mention building a tree fort without holding a union card can be extremely dangerous.

Me and the wee platoon could play outside for hours with a friggin' stick. A sh!tty banana bike wannabe with Gump Worsley clothes-pinned to the spokes, goddamn bat and a tennis ball.

I don't even think the word 'device' was in the dictionary back then.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I remember many rainy days just being busy with a comic book collection, reading them and trading them back and forth. Stamp collecting was another favourite past time.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The playground across the street used to sit empty evenings and weekends (except for underage hookers at in the late eve), now it's active but it's all E. Indian immigrant kids.

Culture might be playing a role too.

At least there are kids are playing in the playground. That is what is was designed for after all. The kids will play if we just let them, lol.

I think you might be on to something there. Many parents do too much for their kids, but in the wrong way, they throw money at them so they can appease the pressures placed by the corporate sector so they can sell more junk. I remember as a kid my dad building sleds and wagons etc. for us, but he never gave us more than a quarter. Of course all the stuff he built was from odds and ends of junk or from a chunk of cedar he brought in out of the bush. The problem today is we'll never get back to that sort of thing.

The parents of today are not the offspring of depression era children so a lot of these parents have not learned how to 'make do'. Everything has always been "right there" when you need it. Where there is no need, there is no creativity. Don't they say that necessity is the mother of invention? So if there's no necessity, why bother having to be creative?

But the impulse to make something/give something to your kids was the same.

Me and the wee platoon could play outside for hours with a friggin' stick. A sh!tty banana bike wannabe with Gump Worsley clothes-pinned to the spokes, goddamn bat and a tennis ball.

I don't even think the word 'device' was in the dictionary back then.

We had to play outside even if it was raining. My mother used to say "You're not made of sugar, you won't melt". Kept the house cleaner, for sure.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I 'read' the lingerie section of the Sears catalog if that's any help.

If, if ya know what I mean.