Scumbag kills cop on dashcam - will get death penalty

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Story with graphic unedited video so be warned.

'Please don't shoot me again': Desperate moment cop begs for his life before being killed during routine traffic stop is caught on dashcam

An Arkansas police officer who was fatally shot during a traffic stop last year can be heard pleading for his life with his attacker in dashboard video released yesterday.
The 20-minute video, shot from Trumann police officer Jonathan Schmidt's squad car, shows how quickly the April 2011 night traffic stop turned deadly.

Jerry Lard, who was a passenger in the back seat of the stopped car, was convicted last month of capital murder for killing Schmidt. He has been sentenced to death.

Trumann Police Chief Chad Henson said he wanted his officers to learn from the incident and he planned to increase training for night traffic stops.

Chief Henson said: "[Schmidt] will be our greatest teacher and our trainer. He's pushing us forward, so with that we'll be better for it.'
The video shows Schmidt carrying out a routine check on a vehicle he suspected was uninsured.

After handcuffing and questioning the driver for an unrelated warrant, Schmidt asks Lard for his name and date of birth. A little over a minute later, as Schmidt opens the back passenger door, a hand can be seen reaching out and firing at the officer's face.

Lard runs from the car and continues firing at Schmidt and officer Corey Overstreet, who was also at the scene.
The video also shows Schmidt helping Overstreet to his feet as Lard fires at the two of them.

As Lard fires at the officers, he can be heard yelling: 'What you got, b****?'

Later, Schmidt can be heard pleading with Lard off-camera: 'Please don't shoot me. Please don't shoot me again.'

Later, Overstreet can be heard talking to Schmidt as they wait for ambulances to arrive. 'We've got help coming, buddy,' Overstreet can be heard saying.

Lard was also wounded in the shootout and was arrested at the scene.

A medical examiner told jurors Schmidt was shot four times - in the chin, neck, right wrist and chest, though a protective vest blocked the chest shot.

Prosecutor Scott Ellington praised Schmidt as a hero and said he was grateful to the jury for convicting Lard.

Donald Schmidt, Jonathan's father, told reporters that he hoped officers learned from the shooting, but he didn't want to have to watch the video again because he was constantly reminded of the shooting even without the images.

He said: 'If you would like to lie down every night when you go to bed and see someone murdering your son, and then wake up every morning and see someone murdering your son, you can imagine what our life is like.'

Taunting his victims: After the initial shooting, Lard can be seen strutting around the crime scene, yelling 'What you got, biatch' to the stricken officer

Video in this link
:

Jonathan Schmidt - 'Please don't shoot me again': Police release shocking video of officer pleading with gunman Jerry Lard after fatal roadside shooting | Mail Online

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/video-released-of-fatal-a_0_n_1755305.html

Edited, less graphic video:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/videos/2012/aug/07/6592/

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This useless piece of **** deserves nothing less. Too bad that just before he is to get his just desserts that the Warden walks over to him and whispers in his ear "THIS is what we have for you, biatch."

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
In cases like this where it's totally clear it was murder, I'm all for the death penalty. The sooner the better. Then again, I'd love to see this SOB suffer, too, for the arrogance he showed in this video. He knew what he was doing and was damned proud of it, too.