Private trash collection begins in part of T.O. today

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Private trash collectors are taking over garbage collection duties between Yonge Street and the Humber River, starting Tuesday.

The move to privatize garbage collection in Toronto was one of Mayor Rob Ford’s campaign promises, and city officials believe the switch will save city hall $11 million a year.

The mayor will be on hand Tuesday morning to officially launch the collection by Green for Life, the company that won the contract.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Another area where government employees have priced themselves right out of the market. Now if they could just do something about the $25/hr lawn mowers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Lol.

You got that right since the bulk of the news includes massacres, muggings, extortion, plane bombings, car jackings, child molestations and various skulduggery by our trusted politicians. :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I knew this was coming. My neighbour is GFL's head of safety.

Toronto, from Younge St. to the Humber, are finally going to receive trash collection at the same level of service, for a competitive price, as us up here in the hinterlands.

Enjoy.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
How the private sector ruined Olivia Chow’s mom’s whole day

:(

On Tuesday, a large section of Toronto began having its trash picked up by a private-sector company. Outsourcing the pick up of trash for parts of the city west of Yonge St. was a major victory for the administration of Rob Ford, who has pledged to outsource trash collection east of Yonge St. in his next term. The outsourcing is expected to save the city $11-million a year.

It was bitterly fought by council’s left-wing faction and their supporters beyond, of course. They worry that the company, Green for Life (GFL) won’t be able to deliver the same kind of service for the relatively low amount they’re charging, compared to city of Toronto employees. They’re worried the workers won’t be paid enough. They’re worried the service won’t be responsible.

And, according to NDP MP Olivia Chow, there are also concerns that the mornings of old ladies might be just totally ruined, man.

more heartbreaking news:

Toronto garbage collection: Olivia Chow meets the private sector | Full Comment | National Post

:lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How the private sector ruined Olivia Chow’s mom’s whole day
There contract with the city states that all routes must be done by 5/5:30. Unless mitigating circumstances arise.

Unlike the city, GFL has a hotline she could have called, 311. This is being encouraged by CUPE, lol.

The union is mad, lol.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Private trash collecting? We've had it here for years. I don't bother with it as the municpal service works well enough and the private firms cost more.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Private trash collecting? We've had it here for years. I don't bother with it as the municpal service works well enough and the private firms cost more.
Completely different situation Bar.

Maybe you should read the OP, and/or do a little research.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Completely different situation Bar.

Maybe you should read the OP, and/or do a little research.

I am somewhat confused by your comment; a not unusual state of events considering how garbled your comments frequently are. The Thread is about private trash collecting and my post commented on that. Perhaps it is you who who is having reading problems.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nice dodge.
Yes your post was.

Hell you even dodged Ten Penny's, lol.

You know, you can just say "Oops, I made a mistake", and move on. You don't have to try and throw this back on me, like last time. Or now run around the board trying to insult me.

I wish I understood you people with fragile egos.

Last edited: