Campers swarmed by coyotes near Baddeck, N.S.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Campers, dog rescued by coast guard boat

A group of campers and a dog had a scare Friday night when a group of coyotes surrounded their tent near Baddeck, N.S.

The coyotes attempted to get into the tent, according to the RCMP.

Cpl. Andrew Joyce says the area is remote and inaccessible by all-terrain vehicles.

"When there is wildlife involved, as you can imagine, they're very unpredictable," Joyce said.

The campers were found and rescued from their Fairy Hole campsite by boat with the help of the coast guard.

One of the campers sustained minor injuries during an attempt to climb into the boat.

Numerous RCMP and other government agencies helped with the rescue, including Antigonish police dog services, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the provincial department of natural resources, Coast Guard Halifax and Coast Guard Reserve.

"So in this situation, given the circumstances, we gave it the highest priority as we were fearing extreme risk of safety for those who were in that situation," Joyce said.

The number of coyotes isn't known, Joyce said, because the campers were in the tent and it was dark at the time.

"I believe we were within contact physically within an hour of the event, and it was somewhat — without sounding dramatic —heroic of the persons that did make contact.

"It was quite a way to go, and at the time of the day, under darkness," he added. "But because of the urgency, the rescuers did make contact fairly fast, and that in itself is a credit to those members who achieved that."

Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old Toronto folk singer, was killed in 2009 when she was attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

RCMP advise campers to always bring a fully charged cellphone in case of an emergency and to consider bringing noisemakers to scare off wildlife that may be aggressive.

source: Campers swarmed by coyotes near Baddeck, N.S. - Nova Scotia - CBC News

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Never go outside your cities without a full contingent of emergency response teams. The foregoing has been a public service announcement from the Darwin group.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Tests have proven that they are dog or wolf cross from a stock of western Coyotes.

Actually, that is incorrect.

Eastern coyotes are a hybrid of coyotes and red and grey wolves.....they are mostly coyote, but the dog aspect is largely mythical. They are mostly coyote.

The eastern coyote is a coywolf, a canid hybrid, which, despite having a majority of coyote (Canis latrans) ancestry, also descends from wolves, either the Gray wolf (Canis lupus) or the Red wolf (Canis lupus rufus, formerly Canis rufus), which is on balance more coyote than wolf. They come from a constantly evolving gene pool and are viewed by some scientists as an emerging species.
A study showed that of 100 coyotes collected in Maine, 22 had half or more wolf ancestry, and one was 89 percent wolf. A theory has been proposed that the large eastern coyotes in Canada are actually hybrids of the smaller western coyotes and wolves that met and mated decades ago as the coyotes moved toward New England from their earlier western ranges.
Coywolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coywolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The unfortunate part is they are much larger than western coyotes and have adopted pack hunting, like wolves, and have little fear of man, like coyotes.....

In other words, as lethal as wolves, without that species' manners......

They badly need an education.

Shoot on sight.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I was born in Cape Breton and I still have property there. A large rural lot near
the ocean. When we went into that woodlot or small forest we took rifles with
us. The other problem is the Coyotes are a breed that is different and they are
very aggressive. Over the decades coyotes have become more of a problem.
Cape Breton is a huge Island and before the causeway there were no coyotes on
the island. The problem has become more serious and the hiking trails more
dangerous. Unfortunate but true.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Quote:
A study showed that of 100 coyotes collected in Maine, 22 had half or more wolf ancestry, and one was 89 percent wolf. A theory has been proposed that the large eastern coyotes in Canada are actually hybrids of the smaller western coyotes and wolves that met and mated decades ago as the coyotes moved toward New England from their earlier western ranges.

It is said that the smaller Red Wolf has interbred with Coyotes but from where? The Red Wolf's range was the southern/south eastern US with North Carolina being the nearest viable population group to the Maritimes and they are down to approx 100 after being brought back in Captivity.
Numerous "Coydogs" have been found across western Canada over the years in areas that are many hundreds of miles away from Wolf populations. Some were intentionally bred that i have seen with my own eyes so i don't accept the "myth" aspect. They were terminated when the breeder found out that the cross never lost it's taste for chickens and such along with the sneakiness that came with it.
I believe it possible that they crossed with Gray Wolves at some point.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
...Numerous "Coydogs" have been found across western Canada over the years in areas that are many hundreds of miles away from Wolf populations. Some were intentionally bred that i have seen with my own eyes so i don't accept the "myth" aspect. They were terminated when the breeder found out that the cross never lost it's taste for chickens and such along with the sneakiness that came with it.
I believe it possible that they crossed with Gray Wolves at some point.

Coydogs can be Coyote/dog crosses...which shouldn't make a good companion
(cancels out countless gererations of selective breeding towards what we call
dogs)...but with time and attention, they (some, anyway) can fit into a household.

One of my Sister's four dogs is a Coydog.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Here in Minnesota we easily got rid of yotes when bounties were put on them, something like $20 per dead yote. It worked real fast too (prolly cause some farm folks are out of work and needed the money). Does Canada use bounty incentives?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Here in Minnesota we easily got rid of yotes when bounties were put on them, something like $20 per dead yote. It worked real fast too (prolly cause some farm folks are out of work and needed the money). Does Canada use bounty incentives?

No bounties here but the fur used to be worth decent money. Through the 70's -80's i hunted Coyotes and often averaged 100 bucks a pelt. Then the euro trash with the help of hollyweird took away an entire industry between bites of Japanese sushi.
Now the Coyote population has exploded and more of them die a lingering and horrible death from mange than were harvested prior to.
Anyone who has ever seen a Coyote with no fur from it's belly back, hind legs frozen to the point where it can only drag itself forward by the front legs would have chosen a bullet for the poor critter 4 months previously.
But then, logic does not work with idiots.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
There is a $20 bounty on the critters, but in true NS fashion, you have to be a qualified and licensed trapper to partake, and of course it only educates one critter at a time. Another detatchement from reality, "RCMP advise campers to bring a fully charged cell phone in case of an emergency", for what? Maybe you could throw it hard enough to scare something off. Once off the beaten path cell coverage is spotty at best, and that's with Bell, if you're with Rogers you might as well forget it, these folks were just lucky. I agree with the noise maker suggestion though, mine propels a 230 grain chunk of jacketed lead at 950 fps, slow, but packs a helluva whollop.