Icebound Iqaluit!

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Look well O Wolves (of Google);-)

IQALUIT, Nunavut -- The Canadian Coast Guard helped an Arctic expedition called "Students on Ice" get on its way this weekend after the students ended up with a lot more ice than anticipated.
Over 100 students, teachers and guides had planned to board their educational ship in Iqaluit on August 1, but couldn't because the harbour was choked with ice from Frobisher Bay.
After days of waiting, the Coast Guard ship Des Groseilliers agreed to help.
Students On Ice operations manager Reina Lahtinen said a Coast Guard barge was able to navigate between the ice and bring the students to the Des Groseilliers late Friday.
The students were then transferred ship-to-ship in groups on Zodiac rafts to their own vessel, which was waiting outside in a part of the bay that was ice-free.
"We were lucky last night because the tides were high because it was a full moon, and winds were low," Lahtinen said Saturday, noting that the transfer was tricky.
"Obviously in those conditions, there is some risk," she explained. "We didn't really have any other options at that point."
Lahtinen said the amount of ice in Iqaluit is unusual for this time of year, and is due to unusual winds and currents.
Students On Ice is a Gatineau, Que.-based educational organization that leads expeditions for high school and university students to the Arctic and Antarctic. The expeditions focus on issues of culture, environment, politics of the polar regions.
Most of the students on the two-week trip are Canadian, Lahtinen said, although some are from other countries.
Lahtinen said the operation to get them from the shore and onto their own ship took about three hours.
Keith Ashfield, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, and Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency, issued a statement Saturday congratulating the Coast Guard for the successful operation.
The statement noted the North can be a dangerous and unpredictable place with extreme weather and ice conditions that can make travel treacherous.
"We are so pleased that the Canadian Coast Guard could assist these stranded students in getting safely to their research vessel," the joint statement read.
"People in the North are well-served by Canada's Coast Guard who go above and beyond the call of duty to help with humanitarian incidents such as this."
Lahtinen said the group had been in Iqaluit after flying from Ottawa on July 30. They had completed their planned pre-expedition programs while staying in the student residences at Arctic College, but due to the delays had a lot of extra time to fill.
Luckily, Lahtinen said, many community members in Iqaluit stepped forward to provide extra presentations and entertainment.
"It really added to the experience of these students. They got to spend an extra couple of days in Iqaluit and to really have a sense of what it's like to live in the north and befriend these people in the community and other youth in Iqaluit," Lahtinen said.
Lahtinen said the ice itself even provided some entertainment.
"When the tides were out, the students were able to walk out into Frobisher Bay and walk amongst the bergy bits and the pieces of iceberg. So we literally had students walking on ice."
The group will eventually sail to Greenland where they will board a flight back to Canada.

Coast Guard help students in ice-bound Iqaluit | CTVNews

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It is doing that, Walter. The Arctic is now on track to have the lowest minimum in the record. Very close to 2007, the previous lowest at present but showing signs of a longer melt.

Reason the ice is there is the wind,happens all over the arctic,you have to understand spring breakup on permafrost to understand why the ice breaks free so easily and starts drifting with the wind.
One day you got beach,the next day you got ten foot ice chunks depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Spring breakup in the arctic cant be compared to spring breakup in the south.
2 totally different things.
Let me know if you want me to explain the difference once again.

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So much for the claim that all researchers do in the Arctic is sit in their camps with the computers. lol
Glad to hear they are safe.
Their students,not fearmongers writing research papers in the comfort of a hotel room funded by a government grant.

Who made that claim?
I know very few that made it farther then the hotel.

The sun starts spring break on permafrost,not warmer temps of a couple degrees.
It's really quite simple how it happens.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Their students,not fearmongers writing research papers in the comfort of a hotel room funded by a government grant.
Science students are researchers, as well.

Who made that claim?
You.
I know very few that made it farther then the hotel.
So?

The sun starts spring break on permafrost,not warmer temps of a couple degrees.
It's really quite simple how it happens.
Explain the science then, Einstein.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Science students are researchers, as well.

You.
So?

Explain the science then, Einstein.

First show me where I made that claim,I said most and that's because they wont let southern noobs into a chopper to go out to the tundra alone and especially with poor winter gear.They arent allowed in our camps and if they were out on the tundra I would have known about it.I flew north many times seated next to these guys,allmost allways alone,something you dont do in the arctic if your doing real research.

When you start scouring all my posts looking for this supposed claim then pay attention as I have mentioned the difference between spring break here in the south and near the arctic circle many times and have explained it dozens of times.It's not rocket science and anyone who has been there knows what I'm talking about.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
First show me where I made that claim, I said most and that's because they wont let southern noobs into a chopper to go out to the tundra alone and especially with poor winter gear.They arent allowed in our camps and if they were out on the tundra I would have known about it. I flew north many times seated next to these guys,allmost allways alone,something you dont do in the arctic if your doing real research.
What makes you think I was referring to you?
But, as I was referring to you, it's a waste of time dragging out your past posts anyway. You simply wiggle and dodge around avoiding it..

When you start scouring all my posts looking for this supposed claim then pay attention as I have mentioned the difference between spring break here in the south and near the arctic circle many times and have explained it dozens of times.It's not rocket science and anyone who has been there knows what I'm talking about.
You constantly make blanket claims. Here's another one:
"There's no spelling in inuktitut,I can speak it,you obviously cant,it's the hardest in the world to master".
I doubt you have any idea how many languages there are on the planet to begin with, let alone speak them all, yet you claim that Inuktitut is the hardest.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Nice link,I remember you dirtieing up that topic but nowhere did I make that claim.Maybe you could quote it for me?

What makes you think I was referring to you?
But, as I was referring to you, it's a waste of time dragging out your past posts anyway. You simply wiggle and dodge around avoiding it..

You constantly make blanket claims. Here's another one:
"There's no spelling in inuktitut,I can speak it,you obviously cant,it's the hardest in the world to master".
I doubt you have any idea how many languages there are on the planet to begin with, let alone speak them all, yet you claim that Inuktitut is the hardest.

There is no spelling in Inuktitut.
You spell it as it sounds as how 5 words can become one word when describing something then the spelling is irrelevant,especially since most hamlets have their own dialect anyways and their own version of how something is spelled.

If your just trolling then move along,I see you guys travel in pairs.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Either way, you still haven't shown anything accepting the fact that science students are researchers and you haven't explained the science behind the sun's effects on breeakup vs. temperature effects on it.

And you dodged the fact that you said that Inuktitut is the hardest language to learn in spite of the fact that you have no idea what it's like to learn any other language besides Inuktitut.

Again, you're just showing yourself to be a blowhard.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nice link,I remember you dirtieing up that topic but nowhere did I make that claim.Maybe you could quote it for me?
I'm not L Gilbert. Nor did I say anything about claims, other than to point out that you make all sorts of erroneous claims. That link exposing an excellent example thereof.

Have a nice day.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Either way, you still haven't shown anything accepting the fact that science students are researchers and you haven't explained the science behind the sun's effects on breeakup vs. temperature effects on it.

And you dodged the fact that you said that Inuktitut is the hardest language to learn in spite of the fact that you have no idea what it's like to learn any other language besides Inuktitut.

Again, you're just showing yourself to be a blowhard.

I'm waiting for you to show me this claim you say "someone" made and then I'll let you in on the arctic spring break secret.

Untill then,looks like your the blowhard and ya got a buds too! :)

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Why should I? You don't back up your claims.

Only to a bubblehead like you. I don't blow about much of anything. You are constantly at it.

So then I guess that means you retract that claim? Niiiiiice!
I hate it when people make **** up they cant back up.

The mars folks on Devon island were researchers,real ones.
I used to chat with them every night on fb when in the north.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So then I guess that means you retract that claim? Niiiiiice!
I hate it when people make **** up they cant back up.
Actually I did look it up in all your posts. The history of them only goes back 10 pages. The issue is moot. (That means unproveable one way or the other).
So, no, I don't retract anything.
But stick to your delusions and keep bragging and making foolish claims anyway. It's funny.

hehehe And thanks for the reddie. I'll cherish it as a compliment.