Lifeguard gets bill after ocean rescue

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Good call. Very good.

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- Seventeen-year-old John Clark, a senior at Hudson's Bay, says he didn't think twice about running into the ocean to save a drowning 12-year-old.

But what he hasn't stopped thinking about, is the bill he received as a result of his effort.

The guardian angel is busy this week teaching Boy Scouts to tie knots. It's a far cry from the sand at Rockaway Beach nearly a month ago -- when John Clark heard screams for help from a 12-year-old swept out to sea.

The call for help came just five days after Clark had been certified as a lifeguard.

"He had to do something," said Dan Clark, John's dad.

So John Clark dove in -- through the breakers and heavy swells -- to reach the boy in the ocean. Then he calmed the boy down, and kept him afloat.

"I don't know exactly how big the swells were," Clark said, "but they were big enough to push both of us underwater -- all the way down to where we were touching sand."

Jet skis arrived and pulled both of them to shore.

John had a headache, and the 12-year-old was wrapped in a blanket to warm up. Into the ambulance they both went.

Clark thought the trip to Tillamook General Hospital was standard procedure; he didn't give it a second thought until several weeks later ... when the bill arrived.

"I am extremely proud of him," his dad tells KOIN. "When we got the bill it was a shock."

The emergency room bill came to $449. The physician's bill was $227. The 15-mile ride in the ambulance to Tillamook: $1,907. The total bill for saving a young man's life? Nearly $2,600.

"I had a feeling there would be a bill," Clark said. "But I didn't know how much it would be, and I kind of feel bad for the fact that it's so expensive. But I couldn't just let the kid go -- I had to do something."

John Clark is a lifeguard at the Firstenburg Community Center pool and the Marshall Community Center in Vancouver. He's the youngest of nine kids; his family is trying to make arrangements to get the bill paid.

Lifeguard gets bill after ocean rescue - Koinlocal6.com

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Proof that no good deed goes unpunished.
$60 a mile is pretty steep for an ambulance ride. Chopper would have been cheaper.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Good call. Very good.

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- Seventeen-year-old John Clark, a senior at Hudson's Bay, says he didn't think twice about running into the ocean to save a drowning 12-year-old.

But what he hasn't stopped thinking about, is the bill he received as a result of his effort.

The guardian angel is busy this week teaching Boy Scouts to tie knots. It's a far cry from the sand at Rockaway Beach nearly a month ago -- when John Clark heard screams for help from a 12-year-old swept out to sea.

The call for help came just five days after Clark had been certified as a lifeguard.

"He had to do something," said Dan Clark, John's dad.

So John Clark dove in -- through the breakers and heavy swells -- to reach the boy in the ocean. Then he calmed the boy down, and kept him afloat.

"I don't know exactly how big the swells were," Clark said, "but they were big enough to push both of us underwater -- all the way down to where we were touching sand."

Jet skis arrived and pulled both of them to shore.

John had a headache, and the 12-year-old was wrapped in a blanket to warm up. Into the ambulance they both went.

Clark thought the trip to Tillamook General Hospital was standard procedure; he didn't give it a second thought until several weeks later ... when the bill arrived.

"I am extremely proud of him," his dad tells KOIN. "When we got the bill it was a shock."

The emergency room bill came to $449. The physician's bill was $227. The 15-mile ride in the ambulance to Tillamook: $1,907. The total bill for saving a young man's life? Nearly $2,600.

"I had a feeling there would be a bill," Clark said. "But I didn't know how much it would be, and I kind of feel bad for the fact that it's so expensive. But I couldn't just let the kid go -- I had to do something."

John Clark is a lifeguard at the Firstenburg Community Center pool and the Marshall Community Center in Vancouver. He's the youngest of nine kids; his family is trying to make arrangements to get the bill paid.

Lifeguard gets bill after ocean rescue - Koinlocal6.com

Crats- lots of dumb ones- They should email Christ=y and ask about taking care of this xxx of a bill for saving a life. Opps wrong country

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'd have been very surprised if no one had stepped forward to help with the bill in this situation. Apparently two have so far.

Lifeguard gets $2,600 bill after rescuing boy from surf | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

From an updated story by KOIN-TV:
Dan Clark, John Clark's dad, said that although the bill has not yet been paid two people have stepped forward to pay it in full.
"I've been in contact with them [the donors], and they're going to present my son with a check for the hospital," Dan Clark said. "They want to remain anonymous."
As it turns out, the full donation comes as a huge blessing to John's family—who had run into problems setting up an account for viewers to make individual donations.​