First Nations leaders mum on Innu company salaries

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Where does this private company get its money to pay a CEO over $1 million over two years? If you check out their web site, they don't seem to do much except have partnerships. Innu Dev They do some training. A red flag lately. The Innu want answers too, it says they are outraged. They will likely get answers, but due to tribal dictatorships, they will never get accountability. They need democracy for that, and for that, they will have to become Canadians.

First Nations leaders mum on Innu company salaries | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

First Nations leaders mum on Innu company salaries

BY KRISTY KIRKUP ,PARLIAMENTARY BUREAU

FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, JULY 17, 2012 09:28 PM EDT | UPDATED: TUESDAY, JULY 17, 2012 09:36 PM EDT

Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs (AMC). (Ross Romaniuk/QMI Agency)

Several First Nations chiefs gathered for an Assembly of First Nations (AFN) meeting were mum when questioned about reports on a former Newfoundland Innu Chief who collected a salary of more than $600,000.

Innu community members of Natuashish and Sheshatshui have expressed outrage in recent days because Paul Rich, former CEO of Innu Development Limited Partnership (IDLP), was paid $658,847 in 2011. He also made more than $1 million over the last two years as CEO.

The IDLP was established to spark community business and developments. Community members held a weekend protest outside IDLP office to demand transparency.

But First Nations chiefs gathered in Toronto to name the next national chief of the AFN would not comment Tuesday on Rich's salary or on the community's anger.

The leaders also suggested financial accountability stories perpetuate false stereotypes about First Nations.

"I can't speak on the specific incident because I'm not familiar with it ... but I can speak for the chiefs that I know that are accountable to their people back home," Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of Manitoba said.

NDP MP Romeo Saganash also avoided commenting on the issue. He served as deputy grand chief of the James Bay Crees of Northern Quebec in the 1990s.

"It is really hard to say" if Rich's salary is inappropriate, he said, citing that context is needed.

IDLP is a private company which doesn't receive money from the federal government. A spokesman for the ministry of aboriginal affairs said "IDLP is an independent company" and it can determine its internal salaries.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Where does this private company get its money to pay a CEO over $1 million over two years? If you check out their web site, they don't seem to do much except have partnerships. Innu Dev They do some training. A red flag lately. The Innu want answers too, it says they are outraged. They will likely get answers, but due to tribal dictatorships, they will never get accountability. They need democracy for that, and for that, they will have to become Canadians.
I always love examples of contrast and/or irony...

"I can't speak on the specific incident because I'm not familiar with it ... but I can speak for the chiefs that I know that are accountable to their people back home," Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of Manitoba said.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The leaders also suggested financial accountability stories perpetuate false stereotypes about First Nations. "I can't speak on the specific incident because I'm not familiar with it ... but I can speak for the chiefs that I know that are accountable to their people back home," Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of Manitoba said.

NDP MP Romeo Saganash also avoided commenting on the issue. He served as deputy grand chief of the James Bay Crees of Northern Quebec in the 1990s.

"It is really hard to say" if Rich's salary is inappropriate, he said, citing that context is needed.

Regarding the NDP MP and First Nations Chiefs:

Well please give us some context then. Instead of tossing out the race card.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Where does this private company get its money to pay a CEO over $1 million over two years? .
While respecting Innu rights, territory and culture, Innu Development Limited Partnership represents the economic interests of the Mushuau and Sheshatshiu Innu communities by creating and managing equity through ownership and partnerships in strategic industries; by creating opportunities for employment and Innu private businesses; and by encouraging the development of Innu economic capacity through training and education.
Identify joint economic development opportunities for the Natuashish and Sheshastshiu Innu communities; Establish, operate and manage economic development initiatives in the interests of the Innu, both in Nitassinan (Labrador) and wherever possible outside Nitassinan; Promote rights/interests of Mushuau Innu and Sheshatshiu Innu communities in business development; Design and carry out economic development initiatives to minimize conflict with Innu traditions and way of life; Raise numbers of trained, gainfully employed persons in Natuashish and Sheshatshiu.
Innu Dev
Sounds to me like it's mostly by investments, development, and employment creation. The fed gov't, FBDB, and quite a few companies also do the same thing.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I can't see the bitch here. If a private company is following laws n regs, it doesn't make any difference how it makes its money nor what it pays its CEOs, CFOs, etc.

It's cause they is injuns, and injuns just ain't allowed to make that kinda money.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
actually, when it comes to dumpthemonarchy, he complains about First Nations not doing anything and living off of the "taxpayer" on the one hand, and then complains about First Nations that are successful. The definition of a racist.