CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Toronto council to consider ‘bullet ban’ plan

Matthew Coutts, CTV Toronto
Published Thursday, Jul. 12, 2012 9:28AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, Jul. 12, 2012 10:05AM EDT

City council is expected to debate banning bullets in Toronto during the second day of an epic council session on Thursday.

Coun. Adam Vaughan is expected to put forward a motion that would make it illegal to sell, store or use ammunition inside city limits, and request the federal government to make a similar move against handguns.

Vaughan, who represents the Trinity-Spadina ward, says he believes that by getting rid of ammunition, the city will ultimately be safer.

Vaughan's ban would include bullets used in all guns, not just handguns.

Toronto council rejects ‘bullet ban’ plan | Toronto

FFS Toronto, why do you keep electing these nutters?

I've heard him speak about this three times now. Each time he mentions, suicides and domestic violence. No mention of gangbagers.

What a goof.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

If we Canadians typically tend to vote to elect the best of the worst, can you just imagine who was running opposite? 8O

I've heard him speak about this three times now. Each time he mentions, suicides and domestic violence. No mention of gangbagers.

What a goof.

This whole idea is so beyond ridiculous. Even if, by some miracle of miracles, they were able to get guns completely out of the hands of criminals, what's next? Knives, fists even? Suppose strangulation was the number one cause of domestic murder, what the hell would they ban then?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I totally agree we should ban bullets. Having said that, i think we should also ban
some of the following to make the community safe from all evil.

1 steak knives and butter knives
2 scissors
3 box cutters
4 butcher knives
5 metal rulers
6 hammers
7 axe's
8 baseball bats
9 crowbars
10 pruning sheers

There are more things to add but we can do that later, come to think of it
chopsticks are dangerous too.
Don't ya feel a lot safer now that we got rid of everything that might be used to
harm someone?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I totally agree we should ban bullets. Having said that, i think we should also ban

2 scissors
3 box cutters
4 butcher knives
5 metal rulers
6 hammers
7 axe's
8 baseball bats
9 crowbars
10 pruning sheers

Don't ya feel a lot safer now that we got rid of everything that might be used to
harm someone?

Ban Scissors!!!

NEVER!

"I'm running with scissors!" - YouTube

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

2 scissors
3 box cutters
4 butcher knives
5 metal rulers
6 hammers
7 axe's
8 baseball bats
9 crowbars
10 pruning sheers
And ELAX

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Toronto city council....rare moment of sanity

Matt Gurney: Rare outbreak of sanity sees Toronto vote against banning bullets

Matt Gurney Jul 13, 2012 – 12:51 PM ET | Last Updated: Jul 13, 2012 12:56 PM ET
Jeff Topping/REUTERS
Toronto

On Thursday, Toronto City Council voted 28-13 against having an emergency debate to discuss banning the sale and storage of handgun ammunition within the confines of the City of Toronto. While there would have been some exemptions for police officers, Armed Forces personnel and a few other very narrow categories, those who legally own handguns in Toronto — something determined by federal law, not city code — would have had to find another place for their bullets.
The bullet ban was the brainchild of Adam Vaughan, an outspoken member of the council’s left wing. And the vote doesn’t kill the motion entirely, as it now defaults to Mayor Rob Ford’s executive committee, which generally, but not always, votes as he’d like. (Even Adam Vaughan bizarrely voted against his own motion, saying he would prefer the motion be seen by the committee.) But it’s still welcome news. Ford’s executive committee will most likely send the proposed bullet ban directly into the trash bin, where it belongs.
Vaughan insists that if it was properly reviewed, people would be swayed by the evidence and logic of his bullet ban. But there’s no evidence or logic behind it at all. Set aside the fact that ammunition and firearms are already both heavily regulated in Canada. Set aside the fact that Toronto is, by any big-city standard, tremendously safe. The fact remains, as the evidence shows, that the city of Toronto is not an island. Cutting off legal access to bullets within the 416 area code would do absolutely nothing to stop bullets from being sold and stored in the 905 region that surrounds Toronto. Unless Vaughan intended to recreate the Berlin Wall along Steeles Avenue, his plan was going nowhere.
And even that step would be unlikely to accomplish anything. The overwhelming majority of firearms used in crimes in Toronto are believed by Toronto Police to be smuggled into the city across the U.S. border for use in the drug trade. The drug trade, note. IE: A trade in a commodity that is already banned. But since that’s gone so well, obviously, imposing an additional ban ought to straighten things right out, right? Because Toronto’s criminal elements are just one municipal code away from going clean.

Toronto Bullet Ban: Rare outbreak of sanity sees Toronto vote against banning bullets | Full Comment | National Post

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

2 scissors
3 box cutters
4 butcher knives
5 metal rulers
6 hammers
7 axe's
8 baseball bats
9 crowbars
10 pruning sheers

harm someone?

Yes, that is a very nice hypothetical. Here is the reality in Canada.

You can legally possess a handgun (with some difficult) but you cannot ever legally possess:
  1. automatic knives such as switchblades;
  2. centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
  3. gravity knives;
  4. mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
  5. nunchaku sticks;
  6. shuriken (throwing stars);
  7. manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
  8. finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
  9. Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
  10. crossbows designed for one-handed use;
  11. crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
  12. Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
  13. push daggers;
  14. devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
  15. spiked wristbands;
  16. blowguns;
  17. Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
  18. spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
  19. morning stars; and
  20. brass knuckles.

People love to complain about the government trampling on their rights when it comes to gun registration, but nobody bats an eye at the fact you can go to jail for up to 2 years simply for possessing nunchaku.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

City council is expected to debate banning bullets in Toronto during the second day of an epic council session on Thursday.

Coun. Adam Vaughan is expected to put forward a motion that would make it illegal to sell, store or use ammunition inside city limits, and request the federal government to make a similar move against handguns.

Vaughan, who represents the Trinity-Spadina ward, says he believes that by getting rid of ammunition, the city will ultimately be safer.

What a goof.
roflmao

I just love it when some wingnut comes up with inane ideas like that.

2 scissors
3 box cutters
4 butcher knives
5 metal rulers
6 hammers
7 axe's
8 baseball bats
9 crowbars
10 pruning sheers

harm someone?
You forgot the lowly pencil. Imagine how devastating a pencil can be when inserted to a good length inside an ear.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

What a goof.

This is plain idiocy. Do they think the freaking gangbangers get their bullets legally? This won't curtail the violence at all!

mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;

Aren't people allowed to carry pepper spray? Is it not less potent than mace? I'm sorry, but I think that if people want to carry some pepper spray for protection then they should be allowed to. Is a freaking whistle going to prevent a rape from occurring? There's a slim chance of that happening, but I would think the pepper spray could be a far greater deterent.

Merged the threads.