Greenbelt community to vote on smoking ban option

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From Fark:

Greenbelt, MD set to become the first town to ban smoking, even in your own home, if 4 out of 5 of your neighbors agree

Greenbelt Homes Inc., a cooperative that owns about 1,600 row houses in historic Greenbelt, is considering a rule that would allow residents to ban smoking in the properties if all of those living in a row of four to five homes are in agreement. The ban would then be written into their mutual ownership contract, a document that outlines what members can and cannot do to their homes.

After a petition seeking an option to ban smoking, signed by 52 of the more than 1,600 co-op members, was submitted to the GHI board of directors in May, a committee headed by board president Susan Ready was formed to address the issue. The committee is working with legal advisers to draft a proposal that members could vote on at the annual meeting in May, Ready said.

more

Greenbelt community to vote on smoking ban option - The Washington Post

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
52 out of 1600? That's hardly a majority, and while I don't smoke myself, if people want to do so in their own homes, then they should be allowed to. Freaking ridiculous!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
52 out of 1600? That's hardly a majority, and while I don't smoke myself, if people want to do so in their own homes, then they should be allowed to. Freaking ridiculous!

Speaking as an apartment dweller, if the homes are connected (common wall) or vertically connected or close together, smoke from one home can drift into another.

While I support the 'smokers right' to smoke in their own home, it should be their responsibility that their smoke stays there. Problem with smokers is they assume their right to smoke should trump other's right to smoke-free air. This is much like the rules for backyard pools. You can have one but its your responsibility to make sure its fenced in.

And nothing pisses me off more than being stuck behind some a-sshole smoker with his cig haning out his driver's window so I can smell his cancer stick while he keeps his own stink out of his own car. If its so great, keep it in your own car a-sshole!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
.... And nothing pisses me off more than being stuck behind some a-sshole smoker with his cig haning out his driver's window so I can smell his cancer stick while he keeps his own stink out of his own car. If its so great, keep it in your own car a-sshole!

Guess you became accustomed to the stink & fumes from all the surrounding vehicles spewing exhaust all around you while driving.... cuz that's so much better for you & so much less smoke passing through your lungs.

I'd rather sniff someone's cigarette from their car up ahead than be stuck behind some old jalopy Diesel truck with a dirty filter.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Guess you became accustomed to the stink & fumes from all the surrounding vehicles spewing exhaust all around you while driving.... cuz that's so much better for you & so much less smoke passing through your lungs.

I'd rather sniff someone's cigarette from their car up ahead than be stuck behind some old jalopy Diesel truck with a dirty filter.

So if someone smokes the spew and fumes from the vehicles disappears?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think a line has been crossed here. Where does common sense, minding ones own business, freedom to enjoy yourself on your own problem fit into the equation? Next it will be drinking on your deck and then having sex in your own bedroom! :lol:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Oh, there already ARE people who whine about howlers....

Seems that type always find something to complain about. If there was nothing to gripe about ... they'd gripe about it

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Oh JLM where have you been,it is ill eagle to drink on your deck,if you can be seen by someone that might be offended,and we know there is no shortage of them. On the other point,I'll bet good money there are laws on the books somewhere,likely a lot of somewheres,that can put you in jail for having sex in anything other than the missionairy position,with anybody other than your wife and for any reason other than procreation.
Just because it's not quite '84,doesn't mean it's not on it's way,and some of you are playing right into their hands."We're all ****ed!"

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
But if you're part of a 'co op community', you don't really own your own home.

That may be true, but 56 out of 1600 people shouldn't be allowed to determine what everyone else is forced to do. It's not like they have to smoke in their own residence, right? Not directed at you, of course.