Record Lotto MAX prize attracts ticket buyers — or are they suckers?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The chance of winning a piece of the largest prize total in Lotto MAX history had last-minute ticket buyers hitting up convenience stores across Windsor, Essex County and the rest of the country on Friday.

But would they have been so eager if they realized just how slim their chances were?

“This is not my quote, but I’ve heard it said: Lottery tickets are a tax on those people that don’t know mathematics,” said Dr. Myron Hlynka, a math and statistics professor at the University of Windsor.

“I don’t buy lottery tickets. I’m paying enough taxes.”

Friday night’s Lotto MAX draw boasted the most prize money the game has ever offered: $100 million, comprised of a $50-million jackpot and 50 $1-million individual prizes.

Even as the sales deadline approached (6 p.m. Pacific / 9 p.m. Eastern), hopeful players continued to fork over their cash for the mere possibility of overnight riches.

But not Hlynka.

According to his calculations — and the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation’s own admission — the numerical probability of winning the $50-million jackpot was a paltry one in 28,633,528.

That’s one shot against more than 28.6 million.

In contrast, Hlynka pointed out that the probability of being struck by lightning is frequently reported as one in 576,000.

So you were about 49 times more likely to be electrocuted from the sky on Friday night than you were to win the jackpot.

“And it’s much more likely that you’ll be in a traffic accident on your way to either buy your lottery ticket or redeem your lottery ticket,” Hlynka added.

Indeed, Hlynka said a negative return should be expected in light of such odds. “The way I figure it out, I lose money by buying lottery tickets.”

But Hlynka knows none of that will dissuade loyal Windsor lottery players when the next monstrous jackpot comes around.

“I’m not a psychologist, but I think people play for the excitement, the camaraderie … the nice conversation,” Hlynka said.

“I’ve known people that actually claim this is the way they donate money,” he added with a laugh.

And there’s no arguing against those who’ve won at least something playing the lottery — even if it wasn’t the $50-million grand prize.

The Star has compiled a list of 91 lottery winners in our area since the beginning of May, with prize payouts ranging from $1,000 to $649,000.

No matter your reasons for buying lottery tickets, Hlynka offers two parting words of advice: “Good luck.”

Lotto Fever: Are you buying a ticket or taking a pass? | Windsor Star

---------------------------------------------
Source: Record Lotto MAX prize attracts ticket buyers — or are they suckers? | Windsor Star

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
My mother has been obsessed with lottery tickets for about a year now. She's been sending me messages every week telling me to buy a ticket. I dont have money to throw away on this stuff. I believe that Mark Twain quote "The lottery is a tax for the stupid" or words to that effect.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Who cares about the odds I buy them every now and then why not.
I don't like the fifty million max out though, I would prefer a winner
take all for say a hundred and fifty million tax free. Yes I am greedy
why not?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
@ Boomer:

Mark Twain: The lottery is a government institution & the poor its best patrons.

True enough, but, from time to time I indulge in a Lotto Max or 6/49...........Best so far is about 500.00...........Figure it over many years; I'm a loser............:-(............oh woe be me.

The bills have never gone unpaid nor the freezer emptied to support a "lottery habit"..........5 or 6 bucks a few times a year ain't gonna break me. If times get that tough, simply will quit buying lottos, beer, fishin equipment, etc.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Way I look at it is someone is going to win and if you don't have a ticket I guarantee it won't be you.

Whenever I say that to someone they come back at me with the odds!

I don't want to hear that! LOL.

Like was said earlier, every now and then it's nice to just be able to close your eyes and dream. So the cost of a buck or two every now and again, is well worth it! When you start getting into consistently buying or compulsively buying lotto tickets, then you're into the realm of "idiot tax".

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Like was said earlier, every now and then it's nice to just be able to close your eyes and dream. So the cost of a buck or two every now and again, is well worth it!

Im able to do that without a ticket. Its free.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Im able to do that without a ticket. Its free.

Lol, of course you can, but for the price of a $1.00 every once in a while you give that dream a small hint of possibility. Not probability, but possibility. That's all I'm saying.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Of course we are suckers. But at least the money I don't win is usually spent on something useful. I look upon it as my high risk investment plan. However, I never buy more than one ticket a week at the most.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
My mom and myself each purchase a $6 ticket, once a week, for a total of $12. Regardless of the odds against winning, it's not like I'm going to go broke buying those tickets.

I just wish the payouts were a little evenly skewed. The top prize is $50 million, yet if you get 5 numbers you win $120? How about a little more for 5 numbers or more? 5 out of 7 numbers is still hard to get!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
@ Boomer:

Mark Twain: The lottery is a government institution & the poor its best patrons.

True enough, but, from time to time I indulge in a Lotto Max or 6/49...........Best so far is about 500.00...........Figure it over many years; I'm a loser............:-(............oh woe be me.

The bills have never gone unpaid nor the freezer emptied to support a "lottery habit"..........5 or 6 bucks a few times a year ain't gonna break me. If times get that tough, simply will quit buying lottos, beer, fishin equipment, etc.

Even beer? Times never get that tough.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
My mom and myself each purchase a $6 ticket, once a week, for a total of $12. Regardless of the odds against winning, it's not like I'm going to go broke buying those tickets.

I just wish the payouts were a little evenly skewed. The top prize is $50 million, yet if you get 5 numbers you win $120? How about a little more for 5 numbers or more? 5 out of 7 numbers is still hard to get!

Only a $120?!? I'm never going to get my Royale with Cheese that Way. ;)

Lol.

Even beer? Times never get that tough.

I agree. If one can't dig up a little 2-4 money, then you're just not Canadian enough. Lol

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I buy the dream, if I win anything it's a bonus.

That's the way my wife and I look at it too: we don't expect to/plan on winning, but its fun to play the "what if..." game sometimes and for $5 or whatever we spend every once in a while, its less than what many people spend on Starbucks or Tim's.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's the way my wife and I look at it too: we don't expect to/plan on winning, but its fun to play the "what if..." game sometimes and for $5 or whatever we spend every once in a while, its less than what many people spend on Starbucks or Tim's.

It, like everything else, is about not going overboard.

One thing I've always done is, if I've ever been in a work situation where they've had a lottery pool, I have always participated! It seems as though groups like that win more frequently. Also, can you imagine how gut wrenching it would be if you didn't participate and the group won?

Toro

Senate Member
The statistician in me says that whenever the jackpot is above the dollar-weighted odds of buying a ticket, you should buy a lottery ticket. So, for example, if the lottery is $60 million, the odds of winning 15,000,000:1, and a ticket costs $2, the dollar-weighted odds are 30,000,000:1, which is less than the $60 million lottery jackpot. IOW, if you could buy every single ticket combination - there are 15 million of them - it would cost you $30 million, you would be guaranteed to win the $60 million jackpot, and you would create a certain profit of $30 million. Or, your "expected" return is $2 for every $1 spent, or 2:1. Whenever it is above 1:1, it is rational to play the lottery.

Or at least that's what I tell myself every time I plunk down $10 to buy a Powerball mega-jackpot ticket.