Motorcyclist's "beanie" helmuts finally banned

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In British Columbia motorcyclists are now banned from wearing so called "beanie"

or "skullcap" helmets. Violators will risk a $138 ticket.

G.F. Strong Hospital in Vancouver, houses hundreds of paraplegic and quadriplegic

motorcyclists who didn't think it was "manly" to use a proper helmet.

Who pays for their medical care? We do. I think the fine is too low considering

what the medical costs could be.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
In British Columbia motorcyclists are now banned from wearing so called "beanie"

G.F. Strong Hospital in Vancouver, houses hundreds of paraplegic and quadriplegic

It is, after all, THEIR head.

Medicare should not be used as a bludgeon to force societal norms on people.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

thumbs up! :smile:

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006

A great first step towards a safer society.
I am looking forward to the day that skydiving, rockclimbing, all contact sports, motor vehicles, and any food that exceeds recommended daily calorie intake are also banned.

Freedom is a small price to pay to increase our life span by 2.1%

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If I throw myself at the ground and miss, hug a rock, body check or get body checked into bliss or eat myself into blimphood, how am I making society less safe - unless I don't miss and society happens to be in my landing zone?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A great first step towards a safer society.
I am looking forward to the day that skydiving, rockclimbing, all contact sports, motor vehicles, and any food that exceeds recommended daily calorie intake are also banned.

Freedom is a small price to pay to increase our life span by 2.1%

For real?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It is, after all, THEIR head.

Medicare should not be used as a bludgeon to force societal norms on people.

Societal norms??? Ever seen G.F. Strong hospital? Their large parking lot is usually full
of motorcycles. I think it could be said that these turkeys are using the medical system to
bludgeon the rest of us. The high cost of their surgeries and rehab treatment is made even
higher because few of these people pay any medicare premiums. My wife and I pay around
$180.00 per month and we don't drive a bloody motor bike. If you can't afford to pay medical
premiums you shouldn't ride a motorcycle.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Societal norms??? Ever seen G.F. Strong hospital? Their large parking lot is usually full
of motorcycles. I think it could be said that these turkeys are using the medical system to
bludgeon the rest of us. The high cost of their surgeries and rehab treatment is made even
higher because few of these people pay any medicare premiums. My wife and I pay around
$180.00 per month and we don't drive a bloody motor bike. If you can't afford to pay medical
Price of gas? Maybe that's how they can afford theirs....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

$197.15 a month here.......but that is private medical insurance, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the debate......

The problem is that socialized medicine can (and is) used as an excuse for ever-increasing government intervention in our lives: first motorcycle helmet laws, then seat belt laws, then bicycle helmets, then helmets for skiing, then laws against salt, trans-fats, unhealthy snacks, then sugar, then the private possession of firearms, then fast cars, and motorcycles themselves.......and don't laugh, I have seen medical costs used as an argument for government regulation for ALL the above.

One wonders how long it will be before the gov't is forcing us to take part in morning calisthenics, a la Orwell's 1984. After all, it would radically lower medical expenses.....

Personally, I don't think the gov't has any legitimate role in personal risk assessment.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

People smoke.
People eat poorly.
People drive motorcycles.
People go rock climbing.
People swim in pools.
People get pregnant and have kids.

What would you like to outlaw for the sake of lower medicare costs?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
People smoke.
People eat poorly.
People go rock climbing.
People swim in pools.

Good Lord! I forgot the ridiculous smoking laws.........see how insidious this stuff is??? How easily government control of our lives creeps in, and becomes the accepted norm, always for the good of society??

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
People smoke.
People eat poorly.
People go rock climbing.
People swim in pools.

Well said. When is swimming going to be banned? Or sports in general. Sport and fitness injuries simply have to be a drain.

My son has done the following while playing sports..

1. Broken Finger (football)
2. Concussion (football)
3. Broken Hand (football)
4. Sprained Wrist (baseball)

The other son
1. Broken arm (monkey bars)
2.Twisted ankle (track)

I suppose they should have stayed inside playing video games

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
People smoke.
People eat poorly.
People go rock climbing.
People swim in pools.

If a person volunteers to increase their risk by rock climbing, driving motorcycles, etc.
they shouldn't expect the rest of us to pay when they are turned into a cripple....or a vegetable...:roll:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If a person volunteers to increase their risk by rock climbing, driving motorcycles, etc.
they shouldn't expect the rest of us to pay when they are turned into a cripple....or a vegetable...:roll:

People volunteer to play hockey, mow lawns, walk down the street, eat fatty food, drive on congested highways, use sharp knives to cut up food, use power tools, etc etc.

Which of these things should result in non-coverage by medicare?

Don't forget that getting pregnant is, for the most part, voluntary as well.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
People volunteer to play hockey, mow lawns, walk down the street, eat fatty food, drive on congested highways, use sharp knives to cut up food, use power tools, etc etc.

Which of these things should result in non-coverage by medicare?

Don't forget that getting pregnant is, for the most part, voluntary as well.

Let me guess, you don't want hockey players to have to wear helmets either..

There is some danger to getting pregnant as well......not the least of which is the
threat of fathering another turkey who wants everything free and easy and uncontrolled.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Let me guess, you don't want hockey players to have to wear helmets either..

I didn't say that. I want hockey players to wear helmets, and the league enforces those rules. Not our government.

There's a difference. You want to use medicare as a bludgeon to control what people are allowed to do. What is the limit? Will you allow people to get pregnant? Should people be allowed to engage in dangerous activities such as shovelling snow in winter?