Baby dies after 'babysitters inject him with heroin and cocaine

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

As he worked on the naked body of Milton Galarza-Rojas, Philadelphia paramedic Dale Schroeder said he recognized something he'd seen many times before: "track marks," the small bruises that mark the bodies of regular injection drug users.
Problem was that little Milton, all 171/2 pounds of him, was just 9 months old.

On Tuesday, almost 12 months after the Hunting Park child was declared dead, a Philadelphia judge ordered Milton's aunt and her boyfriend to stand trial for murder for overdosing Milton with cocaine and heroin.

Lawyers for Oscar Sanchez-Rivera, 24, and Viameri Santana-Berrios, 27, strenuously contested the charges during a five-hour preliminary hearing before Municipal Court Judge James M. DeLeon.

"There is nothing to indicate that my client ever injected this child with anything at any time," said F. Michael Medway, the attorney for Sanchez-Rivera.

Though Sanchez-Rivera is an admitted heroin user, Medway argued that it made no sense for him to inject and kill a child who was not his and whom he and his girlfriend were only watching. "Why? Because the kid is too much of a pain?" Medway asked.

Santana-Berrios' attorney, Rania M. Major-Trunfio, made a similar argument, telling the judge that neither the autopsy nor any witnesses could show that Santana-Berrios injected drugs into the infant she was watching for her cousin.

But Assistant District Attorney Bridget Kirn cited the testimony of Assistant Philadelphia Medical Examiner Edwin Lieberman, who said the drugs in Milton's body had to have been ingested or injected within six hours of death.

"For 391/2 hours, this baby was in the care of these two people," Kirn argued. "Take a look at the math and at the level of care and how they acted. The body has track marks. Track marks on a baby."

DeLeon agreed with Kirn: "It comes down to the six hours before the child died."

DeLeon ordered Sanchez-Rivera held on a general charge of murder, conspiracy, child endangerment, and related counts.

The judge held Santana-Berrios on third-degree murder and related charges. The lesser homicide charge made the mother of two - an 8-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl - eligible for bail, and DeLeon set bail at $150,000.

Schroeder, the paramedic, testified that he and his partner responded to a 911 call at 2:36 a.m. on July 26, 2011, at an apartment in the 4500 block of North Seventh Street.

more

Couple must stand trial in death of 9-month-old - Philly.com

Nine-month-old dies after 'babysitters injected his 17lb body with heroin and cocaine to his feet and hands' | Mail Online

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There are no words to describe how disgusting these two individuals are, I loathe to refer to them as people as there is something inherently non-human about their actions. Do they actually expect people to believe that someone else randomly came in and injected a baby in their care with heroin and cocaine?

And what kind of a mother leaves a 9 month old baby in the care of two junkies? She and/or the father should be facing charges as well!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's events like this that provide support for the notion that the pair ought to be placed in general public and allow the rest of the inmates full knowledge of their actions.

With any luck, their brief incarceration would be rife with pain and terror

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There are no words to describe how disgusting these two individuals are, I loathe to refer to them as people as there is something inherently non-human about their actions. Do they actually expect people to believe that someone else randomly came in and injected a baby in their care with heroin and cocaine?

And what kind of a mother leaves a 9 month old baby in the care of two junkies? She and/or the father should be facing charges as well!

The perpetrators here should also get some more "track marks".............................from a lethal injection!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yee haw, git the rope. Don't bother none with some expensive trial. They is obviously guilty. String em up.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I suppose that the autopsy will be the smoking gun (or not) on this one... If the toddler did actually die of a drug overdose, then the only real alibi the pair might have is that a stranger broke into the house and injected the kid... Pretty doubtful IF the autopsy confirms the suspicions

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I suppose the only way to convict them will be that the kid was in their care when the injection happened, so they were responsible for the well being of the child, and while under their care, 'somebody' injected the kid, so at the very least, they would seem to be guilty of negligence causing death.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's events like this that provide support for the notion that the pair ought to be placed in general public and allow the rest of the inmates full knowledge of their actions.

With any luck, their brief incarceration would be rife with pain and terror
Agreed - with the stipulation that he go to a womens prison and she with the boyz....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Agreed - with the stipulation that he go to a womens prison and she with the boyz....

I can't think of a more disgusting crime than injecting a tiny baby with heroin and cocaine, presumably to ease their
"babysitting" duties. I can't think of a suitable punishment for these animals.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I can't think of a more disgusting crime than injecting a tiny baby with heroin and cocaine, presumably to ease their
"babysitting" duties. I can't think of a suitable punishment for these animals.
That's why I'm thinking a little "feeding frenzy" might be in order....

Failing that.... May their next fix be baby powder....

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I loathe to refer to them as people as there is something inherently non-human about their actions.

I'm not a fan of that line of thinking. No matter what a person does it doesnt alter their DNA. People have been doing stuff like this and worse for all of human history. "Humans" doesnt just cover the good people.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

The "dingo" injected the baby.

right.:roll:

Yee haw, git the rope. Don't bother none with some expensive trial. They is obviously guilty. String em up.

Purple ink, Gerry, purple ink

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Is heroin and cocaine really so cheap that you can afford to waste it on a baby on a lark?

I thought thefts by drug addicts to pay for their habits was supposed to be a big concern?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What, do those two idiots think the baby injected itself with the drugs?

If that was my baby that this happened to, I would probably end up in jail for two counts of murder. These two scumsuckers need to be locked away and the key thrown away.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm not a fan of that line of thinking. No matter what a person does it doesnt alter their DNA. People have been doing stuff like this and worse for all of human history. "Humans" doesnt just cover the good people.

I'm not advocating for them to be strung up or not to have due process. On principal that needs to happen and I'm personally very glad that there are those amongst us that can do that, I cannot muster up enough, or any, sympathy for them.

Right is right and wrong is wrong, I have nothing but contempt for these two. Human beings are supposed to have higher reasoning, but they don't seem to have any. Animals behave better, even those that eat their young, or in the case of lions where the male will kill all offspring of another male, they are doing so for a purpose. There was no purpose for this to happen!

What, do those two idiots think the baby injected itself with the drugs?

If that was my baby that this happened to, I would probably end up in jail for two counts of murder. These two scumsuckers need to be locked away and the key thrown away.

If that was your baby you wouldn't have left him in the care of two strung out addicts. The parents have a big responsibility in this situation I think.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If that was your baby you wouldn't have left him in the care of two strung out addicts. The parents have a big responsibility in this situation I think.

That's true. However, if circumstances caused the above scenario to occur, I would be filled with a huge amount of rage.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's true. However, if circumstances caused the above scenario to occur, I would be filled with a huge amount of rage.

Oh of course! Not even knowing the people involved I feel a certain amount of rage. Babies are just so helpless and, to me, it is just so antithetical to human nature to not have any kind of over riding protective instinct towards them.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Oh of course! Not even knowing the people involved I feel a certain amount of rage. Babies are just so helpless and, to me, it is just so antithetical to human nature to not have any kind of over riding protective instinct towards them.

That's true. It's just unfortunate that there are people out there that do not have that protective instinct.:(

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The "facts" in this case don't add up. As Niflmir observed, drugs cost money:
Is heroin and cocaine really so cheap that you can afford to waste it on a baby on a lark?

I thought thefts by drug addicts to pay for their habits was supposed to be a big concern?
But these people could be wealthy enough that the cost of the drugs weren't an issue and money was not their motivation for babysitting.

Another point that doesn't make sense... cocaine is a stimulant and wouldn't be the drug of choice to settle someone down. Heroin (a depressant) would probably be a better choice, but the baby had both in its system. But I suppose its possible these people are just sadistic SOBs and were experimenting on the baby.

Also "track marks" suggest long term chronic use... The baby wouldn't get track marks in 40 hours.

What would make sense is if the baby was born to a drug user mom and was born an addict. The baby has track marks because its Mom has been giving the baby drugs since birth to settle the child down and prevent the child from suffering withdrawal symptoms. Now the presence of both cocaine and heroin make sense. It also explains the drug addict baby sitters. Mom wanted someone who would inject her baby with drugs....

I suspect the parents of this child are guiltier than above pair... who I suspect were following the parent's instructions. The death resulted when the baby sitters gave the baby an adult size dose, rather than a baby size maintenance dose to stave off drug withdrawal symptoms.

Last edited: