Gas under graveyards raises moral, money questions

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) – Cemeteries are joining parks, playgrounds, churches and backyards as targets of the U.S. shale drilling boom, and that's an uncomfortable idea for some.

Opponents say cemeteries shouldn't be disturbed by drilling they worry will be noisy, smelly and unsightly. Defenders say the drilling is too deep to cause such problems and can generate revenue to enhance the grounds.

In rural Ohio, trustees in Poland Township received a proposal this year to lease cemetery mineral rights for $140,000, plus 16 percent of any royalties, for any oil and gas. Similar offers followed at two other area cemeteries.

more

Gas under graveyards raises moral, money questions

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We've been planting people for how many millenia and not a single damn person has grown back?

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Cemeteries shouldn't exist as I see it. Preserving dead bodies under the ground is vain. We should be returned to the life cycle like any other animal.

Glad someone agrees with me on that. I usually get called some nasty names for suggesting that we are wasting valuable real estate planting things that don't grow. This odd behavior is associated with various religious cults that don't share the same beliefs about nature and recycling as me.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
With all due respect here, if we have a shred of decency or respect its
time to draw the line somewhere. To me its the image of having a
brothel next to a kindergarten.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With all due respect here, if we have a shred of decency or respect its
time to draw the line somewhere. To me its the image of having a
brothel next to a kindergarten.
Decency? I live across from a school and was propositioned by grade 8ers while they were having recess.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So what's wrong with diagonal drilling? The well does not have to be in the cemetery.

Why do we need diagonal drilling if the world is swimming in oil? Judging from past threads, I thought we had so much oil still underground that we didn't know what to do with it? If that's the case, why are we looking at drilling under houses, parks and graveyards?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why do we need diagonal drilling if the world is swimming in oil? Judging from past threads, I thought we had so much oil still underground that we didn't know what to do with it? If that's the case, why are we looking at drilling under houses, parks and graveyards?
Money!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Spread the wealth? How about the more suppliers the better for consumers?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Maybe we could use ashes from the crematorium in the recipe when they go to frac the well.
Kill two birds with one stone.

We've been planting people for how many millenia and not a single damn person has grown back?
I grew up in between a Catholic and protestant graveyard,nothing ever grew back.
I could see the moonlight reflecting off the headstones every night through the window in my bedroom so I thought stuff was going on out there at night.
The people we bought the place from told us kids that sometimes bones would come out in the tapwater.
It was kind of neat,our little farm with a pool smack dab in between these two graveyards.
On Saturdays we had to have a no music and no diving rule in the backyard when they had the weekly funerals.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Cemeteries shouldn't exist as I see it. Preserving dead bodies under the ground is vain. We should be returned to the life cycle like any other animal.

So we should show no respect for what was once a vessel for the human spirit?

Spread the wealth? How about the more suppliers the better for consumers?

Right downtown?

My point was, if we are drowning in oil, can't we not drill outside the downtown area?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Hmmmm,I have a small jar with some of one of my best friends ashes in it sitting in my living room.
He told me to spread them in our secret fishing hole,or let them go off the top of the Livingstone mountain range,or blow them out the barrel of a 12 gauge.(He was a risk taker)
I wonder how he would like getting blown out the bottom of a well 1000 feet underground?
I think he would give me a big thumbs up!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
So we should show no respect for what was once a vessel for the human spirit?

Right downtown?

My point was, if we are drowning in oil, can't we not drill outside the downtown area?

To me the corpse is not the person. Your mileage may vary, but I like to respect the memory of the person not their dead body. I receive no comfort from their dessicated, embalmed remnants hidden under ground.

A picture of them in life is worth so much more to me than any tomb or grave. The finality of death makes the impact they had on my life so much more meaningful. Their preserved body in the ground takes away from that.

Given the importance people place on cemeteries, I understand the insensitivity of destroying one. I really wish we would leave this disturbing (to me and Taxslave at least) custom behind.