Dogs get ‘Prozac’ to control their behaviour

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Heerree we go...:roll:

Up to 80 per cent of our eight million mutts would benefit from similar products to human antidepressants, a study found.

Traditional behaviour by dogs such as barking at strangers, cowering from fireworks or howling when left alone is now being reinterpreted.

Previously assumed to be natural reactions, the responses are now diagnosed as "hyperactivity", "phobic behaviour" and "separation anxiety".

Other conditions assessed by vets include sleeping problems, anxiety, anorexia, "self-mutilation", stress and depression.

The most common dog issue was hyperactivity, with 60 per cent of pets exhibiting this behaviour "frequently", "sometimes" or "all the time".

more

Dogs get ‘Prozac’ to control their behaviour | The Sun |News

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
Hyperactivity is code for : the stupid lazy owner doesn't take them for enough walks.
If you're cooped up in the house all day, except for two 10 minute pee walks, you're going to be a little stir crazy.

I like how they have to diagnose the dog with a problem, and prescribe drugs.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wow! Prozac, this is an interesting development for pets.

And here I'd thought neuticles were the weirdest thing I'd ever heard of for dogs.

Neuticles.com

I may have to adjust that opinion.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
That's it medicate your dogs just like we are medicating our children.

When a dog has a behavioral problem it is the human's fault. Regarding children some really do need it but now with intense neuro testing, but many schools demand that a problem child be medicated and plenty of family doctors prescribe the medication on demand. A lot of adults also get prescribed anti-depressors by their family doctors when they don't need them. It seems to be a blanket solution for many things instead of looking for the problem.