Mall roof collapse injures at least 4 in N. Ontario

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Part of the roof of a shopping mall in Elliot Lake, Ont., has collapsed, injuring at least four people and apparently sending cars crashing to a concourse below.
East Algoma OPP said they received an emergency call at 2:19 p.m. ET on Saturday. The incident occurred at the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake, which is about 150 kilometres west of Sudbury.

Mall roof cave-in injures at least 4 in N. Ontario - Sudbury - CBC News

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That place scared me the first time I saw it - about 7 years ago - a huge parking lot with one structure the size of a Photohut booth (the escalator and stairs down into the mall)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Glad no one was killed or even seriously injured.

They don't get a lot of excitement there anymore, so they used the opportunity to declare a state of emergency.

One of my favourite Northern towns.

Probably not the best place in the world to put parking.

Guess some firm will be hiring a new engineer.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wow! I just called my mom to let her know, we had some family up there a few years back and family all over the area. She hadn't heard about it but is going to make some calls. What a horrible situation!

My aunt & uncle, who are both in their 70s and do still live there (I was mistaken earlier, I had thought they moved), were fortunately not there at the time but locally it's been reported that there are still people missing.

This was just updated about 20 minutes ago.

Toronto News: Elliot Lake mall roof collapse: Toronto search team called in as one person trapped - thestar.com

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Mall rescue called off, then ordered back on
Province intervenes in search for survivors

...Earlier in the day, personal vigils gave way to outraged protests after officials announced they were halting efforts to rescue possible survivors. Dozens of angry community members gathered outside city hall to express their disgust that officials had walked away from a rescue effort they deemed too dangerous. "Rescue missions never end, save our families, save our friends," chanted the protesters, adding efforts to recover survivors had gone on for days in the wake of high-profile tragedies.
Residents of the former mining hub said abandoning trapped comrades would be unthinkable in miners' culture, speculating volunteer mineworkers should take up the rescue themselves....

Mall rescue called off, then ordered back on - Winnipeg Free Press

This makes me so angry, even I feel like lynching someone and I have no personal involvement in this tragedy. I can only imagine how angry friends and family must feel for this obscenely gross incompetence. I can understand why the rescue effort might need to regroup or call in additional resources due to extreme danger... but to call off a rescue and knowing that at least one person was alive under the rubble.... That's... I'm not sure what words can adequately describe the anger I feel.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Mall rescue called off, then ordered back on
Province intervenes in search for survivors

...Earlier in the day, personal vigils gave way to outraged protests after officials announced they were halting efforts to rescue possible survivors. Dozens of angry community members gathered outside city hall to express their disgust that officials had walked away from a rescue effort they deemed too dangerous. "Rescue missions never end, save our families, save our friends," chanted the protesters, adding efforts to recover survivors had gone on for days in the wake of high-profile tragedies.
Residents of the former mining hub said abandoning trapped comrades would be unthinkable in miners' culture, speculating volunteer mineworkers should take up the rescue themselves....

Mall rescue called off, then ordered back on - Winnipeg Free Press

This makes me so angry, even I feel like lynching someone and I have no personal involvement in this tragedy. I can only imagine how angry friends and family must feel for this obscenely gross incompetence. I can understand why the rescue effort might need to regroup or call in additional resources due to extreme danger... but to call off a rescue and knowing that at least one person was alive under the rubble.... That's... I'm not sure what words can adequately describe the anger I feel.

You are as stupid as the spectators there. The first rule of rescuing is don't become another victim. It is highly unlikely in a community that size that there is either the equipment or technical expertise to conduct a rescue in a SAFE manner.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
obscenely gross incompetence. I can understand why the rescue effort might need to regroup or call in additional resources due to extreme danger... but to call off a rescue and knowing that at least one person was alive under the rubble.... That's... I'm not sure what words can adequately describe the anger I feel.
Definitely the high of gross incompetence!! Stupidity at an all time high!!
You never give up if there is sign of life.

The resurers probably got tired and wanted to go home and watch the CBC!!! Fools !!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
You are as stupid as the spectators there. The first rule of rescuing is don't become another victim. It is highly unlikely in a community that size that there is either the equipment or technical expertise to conduct a rescue in a SAFE manner.

You mean friends and family who know that someone was alive under the rubble? Is that who you mean by "spectators"?

I doubt I feel as angry as they do, knowing that some was alive under the pile of rubble and they've been abandonned.

If the one rescue team lacks the equipment or expertise to mount a rescue effort, that doesn't mean the rescue effort stops, that means that another team with the people and resources is brought in. There is always a way to mount a rescue. It may be slow or inefficient, but a way always exists. If they have to, they should tear that building apart brick by brick.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The first thing you do in any rescue is to assess the skills and resources you'll need to mount the rescue.
Something was missing here, lack of intellegence ??

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
From what I understand, it was the ministry of labour that ordered the rescue halted; what's next, firefighters halted to prevent smoke inhalation? Sure, the building is unsafe....that's why it fell down, and people need to be rescued.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From what I understand, it was the ministry of labour that ordered the rescue halted; what's next, firefighters halted to prevent smoke inhalation? Sure, the building is unsafe....that's why it fell down, and people need to be rescued.

An extremely difficult situation, by the same token the risk of having even more people killed can not be taken. I realize if it was my loved one trapped I would probably be prepared to take the risk.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It went back into rescue mode last night on orders from the Head Cheese and "How would you like it?..." reasoning - following some heated debate between local rescuers and Provincial bureaucracy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It went back into rescue mode last night on orders from the Head Cheese and "How would you like it?..." reasoning - following some heated debate between local rescuers and Provincial bureaucraccy

As long as no rescuer is killed or seriously injured.