Ring of Fire under fire

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Cliffy I 'm with you on this one. It is time for these companies to understand
Canadian interests and First Nations interests come before their interests.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Local politicians were patting themselves on the backs like it was a done deal. I hope it's a wake-up call to them. Ring of Fire will go through only if the People get a fair shake.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Cliffy I 'm with you on this one. It is time for these companies to understand
Canadian interests and First Nations interests come before their interests.

It's not just the companies though. Government is complicit in these activities, issuing permits and waiting for court challenges, which take forever and a day, from First Nations who should have been consulted in the first place. Meanwhile companies, permits in hand, begin work on whatever it is the permit gives them permission to do and the only recourse left for the party that wasn't consulted with is to stage some sort of protest or blockade and generally that's when things will get really out of hand. And which part gets reported in the media? This is the cycle that continues over and over again, it's pretty much as regular as the seasons.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's not just the companies though. Government is complicit in these activities, issuing permits and waiting for court challenges, which take forever and a day, from First Nations who should have been consulted in the first place. Meanwhile companies, permits in hand, begin work on whatever it is the permit gives them permission to do and the only recourse left for the party that wasn't consulted with is to stage some sort of protest or blockade and generally that's when things will get really out of hand. And which part gets reported in the media? This is the cycle that continues over and over again, it's pretty much as regular as the seasons.
The reason it's done that way is, protesting Natives hit the evening news. The uneducated viewer sees sound bite of just another native protest, and become disinterested, turn the channel or throw their arms up in disgust and frustration while uttering "Oh now what the hell are they protesting?".

I hate to sound like a nutter, but it seems calculated to me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The reason it's done that way is, protesting Natives hit the evening news. The uneducated viewer sees sound bite of just another native protest, and become disinterested, turn the channel or throw their arms up in disgust and frustration while uttering "Oh now what the hell are they protesting?".

I hate to sound like a nutter, but it seems calculated to me.

It is calculated. It's calculated P.R. and the government (of the day) is always at the heart of it. That the government can continually deflect their own part in it over and over again to either the First Nations groups or, to a lessor extent the companies themselves, is almost machiavellian and completely baffling how they get away with it. I suppose it just all gets buried in the bureaucratic mess of the long periods of time it takes the government to do anything (people have short memories), or at least the public perception of the time it takes. (Funny how it takes decades to decide these matters but when they want to implement a new tax they can do that in three months.)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It is calculated. It's calculated P.R. and the government (of the day) is always at the heart of it. That the government can continually deflect their own part in it over and over again to either the First Nations groups or, to a lessor extent the companies themselves, is almost machiavellian and completely baffling how they get away with it. I suppose it just all gets buried in the bureaucratic mess of the long periods of time it takes the government to do anything (people have short memories), or at least the public perception of the time it takes. (Funny how it takes decades to decide these matters but when they want to implement a new tax they can do that in three months.)
The dragging of feet, IMHO, is to frustrate the First Nations and interested parties, to the point where protests arise. Become common place, and the focus of media attention.

Thus moving the spotlight from the Plaintiff to the Complainant. But not in the good way, lol.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is common practice, but is not just relegated to conflicts with aboriginal groups. It seems to be just the way business is done, period.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I think it boils down to it's easier to settle up and apologize after the fact than it is to get permission, permits, approvals.... The Ford Pinto was a great example

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This is common practice, but is not just relegated to conflicts with aboriginal groups. It seems to be just the way business is done, period.

To a certain extent yes but it's not as bad as some places where the 'corruption' is just accepted practice. At least we have some laws in place, it's just a matter of holding everyone to the same standards.

I think it boils down to it's easier to settle up and apologize after the fact than it is to get permission, permits, approvals.... The Ford Pinto was a great example

It is always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission. It's often more costly though.