Is this guy an A$$hole or what?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Which guy? The one saying don't call the cops, the one who called the cops about a dog in the shaded car in a parking garage, or the one who left the dog in the car?

Call the mall cops. They've gotta be useful for something....

For the record, I have introduced tire iron to unshaded and closed side window (with security on its way) for a dog who didn't make it to the end of the day.

Mine stays in the car - with windows fully down - plugged into the restraint and pretending to drive. Friendly or not, there's just something about a big dog that keeps n'er-do-wells at bay

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Which guy? The one saying don't call the cops, the one who called the cops about a dog in the shaded car in a parking garage, or the one who left the dog in the car?

Call the mall cops. They've gotta be useful for something....

For the record, I have introduced tire iron to unshaded and closed side window (with security on its way) for a dog who didn't make it to the end of the day.

Mine stays in the car - with windows fully down - plugged into the restraint and pretending to drive. Friendly or not, there's just something about a big dog that keeps n'er-do-wells at bay

The cops, even if they can't respond they can certainly forward the message to one who can!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ahhh.. it's nice to see a dumb cop thread to balance out all the dumb teacher threads.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Story...

One very hot day some friends were at a boardwalk, and found a Yukon in the parking lot with a Golden Retriever in the back seat obviously in distress.....they smashed out the window, got some water for the dog....and the owners arrived outraged!!!! A very pronounced discussion took place, attracting the RCMP. The Yukon owners demanded my friends be charged. The officer said "Okay, but if I charge them for damage, I charge you for failing to provide the necessities of life for an animal. The latter is by far the more serious charge. Your call."

Kudos to the RCMP on this one.

Everybody walked away, including the dog.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Story...

One very hot day some friends were at a boardwalk, and found a Yukon in the parking lot with a Golden Retriever in the back seat obviously in distress.....they smashed out the window, got some water for the dog....and the owners arrived outraged!!!! A very pronounced discussion took place, attracting the RCMP. The Yukon owners demanded my friends be charged. The officer said "Okay, but if I charge them for damage, I charge you for failing to provide the necessities of life for an animal. The latter is by far the more serious charge. Your call."

Kudos to the RCMP on this one.

Everybody walked away, including the dog.

I love accounts like that. I'm sure for every cop who is an a$$hole there are three who manage situations wisely through patience, gumption and sagacity! :smile:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
They need to give SPCA stronger powers and have Cruelty Investigator Investigators that go out an deal with these problems..

When the police are called about an animal problem, they can refer it to these SPCA investigators..

Canada is in the dark ages when it comes to animal rights and protecting our best friends, our pets.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/animal-cops/houston/

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Is this guy an A$$hole or what?

he is one of many. it would appear that as the temperature increases the percentage of a$$holes increases as well. ;)

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
While the OP references an obvious a$$hole, I can understand why the police would believe they have bigger fish to fry. Police resources are stretched and given a choice between responding to a shooting, a car accident with injuries and a dog locked in a car... I would hope the police responded to the dog in a car last.

I enjoyed Colpy's story.

I agree with boomer. The SPCA or some other group should be the designated responders to animal cruelty and endangerment calls to 911. They should be able to break into cars, execute search warrants of suspected puppy mills and other related acts of animal cruelty.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The OSPCA, doesn't deserve a single red cent. The powers they have now, are far more than they should have already.