Ralph Klein to finally get Order of Canada

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Finally, after all the requests the easterners finally relented..

Good for Ralphy, he usually gets things done in the end !!!

Copy
--------
*After several years of delay, former Premier Ralph Klein will be awarded the Order of Canada, the country’s highest honor.

Several sources confirm Klein’s family has recently been notified. The people directly involved aren’t allowed to comment under strict secrecy rules imposed by Rideau Hall.

But the sources say official confirmation will come soon. Traditionally, the summer list of new OCs is released on or around Canada Day.

Klein’s friends were increasingly alarmed as he was passed over several times. The Order can’t be awarded posthumously, and he is very ill with with a severe form of frontal lobe dementia.

It would be most unusual for an ex-premier of Klein’s stature and long tenure to miss out on the Order of Canada.

“I’m in a way relieved,” says former Premier Don Getty, who became an Officer of the Order in 1999. He also heard recently that Klein will be honored.

“I’m also sorry that health problems are making the award of an Order of Canada a problem for Ralph and his family.

“I feel though, without a doubt, that he deserves it,” added Getty, who was premier before Klein.

“He made such a contribution while he was healthy to Alberta and Canada. He caused certain things to happen in a way that was different and he was mainly successful at it.”

Given Klein’s current condition, it would likely be impossible for him to attend any ceremony. His family will presumably accept the award for him.

Klein was nominated by friends and colleagues as long ago as 2008.

Delays in accepting an Order of Canada nominee aren’t unusual; Getty left office in 1992 and wasn’t invested until 1999.

But among Klein loyalists, there was a growing feeling that he was passed over because his controversial populist style didn’t fit the Ottawa notion of Canadian heroes.

He was Calgary’s mayor for the 1988 Olympics. In 1982, he caused an uproar by advising “bums and creeps” to stay home.

He was talking about crooks, not the vast majority of decent migrants, but the CBC instantly branded him “anti-eastern.”

After becoming premier in 1992, he reshaped the province with spending cuts that were controversial but eliminated $23 billion in accumulated debt by 2004.

By the time Klein left office in 2006, he was the best-known provincial politician in Canada, his agenda both emulated and condemned across the country.

Often, though, the most critical people were also the most envious of Alberta’s debt-free status.

Klein is also remembered for his inebriated outburst at a man in a homeless shelter. Afterward, he acknowledged his long-standing problem with alcohol and vowed to quit.

To many Albertans his very flaws and frankness made him even more admirable. For others, the shelter episode remains unforgivable to this day.

Klein was, and remains, an indelible Alberta and Canadian character who overcame long odds to become a great national figure.

Read it on Global News: Former Premier Ralph Klein will be awarded the Order of Canada, the country’s highest honour. Several sources confirm Klein’s family has recently been notified.

-----------

Former Premier Ralph Klein will be awarded the Order of Canada, the country

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I am sure there is an eastener or two who hasn't gotten one yet so obviously somebody at Rideau hall is slacking off if they have to stoop to giving it to a westerner.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He also contributed to the booze industry and he was at time ignorant and
classless. He was the opposite of everything Pete Lougheed was.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He also contributed to the booze industry and he was at time ignorant and
classless. He was the opposite of everything Pete Lougheed was.

Ralph was for the working man and got things done. I suppose he could be considered classless by those he didn't take any crap from. :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Ah, you guys and your alcoholic premier. You're just pretenders in this game.

We had a premier who was caught with marijuana in his luggage WHILE HE ACCOMPANIED THE QUEEN ON A ROYAL TOUR. Being a drunk is just a pale imitation.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Way to go Ralph Klein!!!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I didn't know Mulroney was the greatest PM this country ever had.

Yep, Mulroney was the greatest PM, introduced some of the biggest changes this country has ever seen.
Harper is probably set to beat him tho.., after he retires of course!!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Kind of like old Winston Churchill eh?

Lots of get her done take no ****e guys were tipplers.

That's like comparing gold to horsesh it, and Klein ain't the gold.

He must have done some serious blowjobbin to get the order.

If I had one now, I'd give it back.,,,,,,,,,,The Odour of Canada that is

Yep, Mulroney was the greatest PM, introduced some of the biggest changes this country has ever seen.
Harper is probably set to beat him tho.., after he retires of course!!

You should trade that eagle in for a clown suit, Durry.

Or a troll suit

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
That's like comparing gold to horsesh it, and Klein ain't the gold.

He must have done some serious blowjobbin to get the order.

If I had one now, I'd give it back.,,,,,,,,,,The Odour of Canada that is

You should trade that eagle in for a clown suit, Durry.

Or a troll suit

He told the east where to go,most of them have not gotten over that yet which I find hilarious.

Be thankfull he did'nt turn off the taps.