Public service abuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Thing is, if they're allowed 1.5 sick days a month, they take them. I'd allow them 1 sick day/month with some written explanation. And the idea of taking a 'stress day' because they want to is crazy. Civil servants don't know the meaning of stress.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thing is, if they're allowed 1.5 sick days a month, they take them. I'd allow them 1 sick day/month with some written explanation. And the idea of taking a 'stress day' because they want to is crazy. Civil servants don't know the meaning of stress.

What they allow is good for things like appendicitis or meningitis..................not for a f**kin' hangover!

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Saved government sick time has been around for years because it is negotiated by both parties and they seem to be happy

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Saved government sick time has been around for years because it is negotiated by both parties and they seem to be happy

I would think some of the "they" should be the taxpayer who is being ripped off. In the old days we were allowed 15 days a year which we could bank up to 250 days and at retirement we got paid for 1/2 of the accumulated up to 125 days. Later we got less .......... .75 days for each day sick, but better extended sick leave plan but couldn't bank anything.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I would think some of the "they" should be the taxpayer who is being ripped off. In the old days we were allowed 15 days a year which we could bank up to 250 days and at retirement we got paid for 1/2 of the accumulated up to 125 days. Later we got less .......... .75 days for each day sick, but better extended sick leave plan but couldn't bank anything.

You had it good! I get 7 days per year where none are bankable. Which seems to be par for the course in the private sector. Even 7 days though is more then enough, I have used maybe 3 days in the last 10 years.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Locally it is a wink-wink nod-nod deal. You keep our party in office and we'll keep the gravy train rolling along.

Why do you think they flipped out in Wisconsin?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Locally it is a wink-wink nod-nod deal. You keep our party in office and we'll keep the gravy train rolling along.

Why do you think they flipped out in Wisconsin?

They had more then just their sick days taken away though, they had their right to collective bargaining stripped, no?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Collective bargaining and obviously various administrations have approved and signed off on them for the previous fifty years or so. How are contracts decided now?

Exactly... that is why I said wink-wink and nod-nod. Here in Massachusetts public unions are so strong and we are lock solid Democrat. Vote for the Dems and the gravy train will continue. Not just the Public Unions... but the state workers and elected officials that make these deals. You scratch our back... we'll scratch yours.

State workers and Public Union employees retiring with six figure kisses in the mail... selling their sick time to the tunes of tens of thousands. All legal and approved from collective bargaining in sweet deals with the Government.

Oh here in Massachusetts you don't lose your sick time. No no... you save em' all up and sell em' back the day you retire. Retire young and come back on Monday as a consultant.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
EagleSmack;1608374 Oh here in Massachusetts you don't lose your sick time. No no... you save em' all up and sell em' back the day you retire. Retire young and come back on Monday as a consultant.[/QUOTE said:
That's not exclusive to Mass I'm pretty sure.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Status
Not open for further replies.