Aboriginals block their own treay vote

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Not a group that believes in democracy. It's good enough for us, but not for them. The police tend to be quite confused as these crown people break the law, so they idly complain how busy they are at Timmy's.

The BC govt always has a weak mandate regarding treaties because they never get mentioned in election campaigns or, say, now. Christie Clark will never talk about treaties except in the vaguest fashion of justice blah blah blah. Gordon Campbell had great fun on the topic, wearing their clothes, and even putting an aboriginal symbol at the front of his desk. The public watches, much amused at it all.

Canada's aboriginal affairs minister expresses disappoinment at blocked treaty vote

Canada's aboriginal affairs minister expresses disappointment at blocked treaty vote

OTTAWA - Federal Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan - using much more measured language Monday than his West Coast counterparts - joined the B.C. governments and the B.C. Treaty Commission in expressing disappointment with the weekend postponement of a treaty ratification vote involving B.C.'s Tla'amin First Nation.

The vote was put off Saturday after a group of protesters used their vehicles to block access to the polling station at the community near Powell River, about 130 kilometres northwest of Vancouver.

"It is disappointing that the vote was disrupted due to these actions," Duncan said in a statement.

"Our government believes that a person's right to vote should not be denied and we hope that community members use the democratic process to express their agreement or disagreement with the proposed treaty."

Duncan's B.C. counterpart, Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation Minister Mary Polak, and B.C. Treaty Commission chief commissioner Sophie Pierre, both said voting rights had been "trampled upon" by the protesters.

"This is not a first nations issue. This is about democracy," Polack said in a statement Saturday that described the vote as a "theft" of democratic rights.

"I am extremely disappointed the community was not allowed to express its wishes regarding this treaty. However, the far greater issue is that the basic right to vote, that all Canadians possess, was denied today.

"All Canadians should be concerned about this direct attack on one of our most fundamental rights."

Polak also complained that the RCMP witnessed the protest and didn't take action.
"It is deeply regrettable that this theft of democratic rights happened in plain view of authorities, who took no conclusive actions."

Pierre was also critical of the protesters.

"These Tla'amin members who blocked the doors to the polling stations claim to speak for the many," Pierre said.

"They are saying they know what is best for Tla'amin. But the decision to accept or reject the treaty is a decision that each Tla'amin member has the right to make on their own."

The treaty, which was initiated last October by the first nation and the two levels of government, has caused division within the community that says it has a population of about 1,000 people.

The deal, the subject of 18 years of negotiations, would provide 8,322 hectares of land, of which 6,405 is provincial Crown land and the rest existing reserve land, as well as $30 million over 10 years.

The Tla'amin would also get $6.9 million in economic development funds and a $250,000 "Fishing Vessel Fund."

Duncan said in his statement that Ottawa is confident the first nation's ratification committee will be able to set up another vote in the "near future."

The federal and B.C. government and first nations have had only a handful of successes over roughly two decades of negotiations since the comprehensive treaty process was launched.

A Senate committee has been told that the barriers to success include overlapping claims of B.C. first nations and an unclear and weak mandate by government negotiators.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Another case of one society imposing its beliefs and political system on a people who beliefs and traditions are foreign to ours. Aboriginal people in BC were traditionally governed by consensus and a council of elder women. The government is having trouble imposing its will on the people because their tradition is to buy votes in their so-called democratic system. Might work in some cases but obviously their is not consensus in this case. But good ol' Whitey always knows best when trying to impose their will on minorities.

Oh, and Dumpy, shove your racist crap!

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Glad to have other views on my channel. Although one vote per human being is not negotiable, because democracy may seem like a terrible system, but its far better than all the other systems out there. It's also called freedom, freedom to take on the power, the man, the patriarchy. Our system is never going to change, thems the facts.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Glad to have other views on my channel. Although one vote per human being is not negotiable, because democracy may seem like a terrible system, but its far better than all the other systems out there. It's also called freedom, freedom to take on the power, the man, the patriarchy. Our system is never going to change, thems the facts.
It is already disintegrating in corruption. Why do you think so few people participate in your wonderful system? It doesn't represent the will or the needs of citizens. What we have in a corporate dictatorship. But that's alright because I know you live in your own little bigoted world and really don't know what is going on outside the four walls of your little box.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Don't you know that Cliffy is FORCED to collect a pension and free health care paid for by working taxpayers. Life is tough when you are a freeloader.

Yup, as I lay unconscious on an ice covered road at -30 degrees after having my body crushed by a logging truck, I thought to myself, "I'm finally going to get me some of that free medical care I deserve."

Who is forcing you to be an asshole?

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It is already disintegrating in corruption. Why do you think so few people participate in your wonderful system? It doesn't represent the will or the needs of citizens. What we have in a corporate dictatorship. But that's alright because I know you live in your own little bigoted world and really don't know what is going on outside the four walls of your little box.

What kind of system would you endorse to alleviate the current corporate dictatorship?

Yup, as I lay unconscious on an ice covered road at -30 degrees after having my body crushed by a logging truck, I thought to myself, "I'm finally going to get me some of that free medical care I deserve."

Tell me again, exactly what were you doing on this road that was constructed and primarily used to service logging trucks?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What kind of system would you endorse to alleviate the current corporate dictatorship?

How about a real democracy with no parties and laws passed by consensus.

Tell me again, exactly what were you doing on this road that was constructed and primarily used to service logging trucks?
I owned a farm at the 30 mile marker on that road. It was a public access road because of all the farmers living up there as well as a fishing resort.

Does that settle it once and for all, or are you going to continue to write false accusations like taxslave?

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Instead of imposing the "White Man's" method, how about actually letting this band of Natives work it out their own way?

Of course, that won't sit well wityh those that automatically believe that anything "European in Origin" is automatically superior to all other ways

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I've always wondered how you and I got made responsible for what our great-grandfathers may have done to each other. We can't know that which we haven't touched, walked, lived ... so how can we know that thing we lost?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Instead of imposing the "White Man's" method, how about actually letting this band of Natives work it out their own way?

Of course, that won't sit well wityh those that automatically believe that anything "European in Origin" is automatically superior to all other ways

'cause I can't claim this land or that land with views of traditional ownership. The days of a vast landscape with few people on it is over. It's a bit crowded now, even in Canada. Many red men like the white man's ways, going back to the old ways is a fantasy.