Canada to be put on UN human rights watchlist

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Press Release

GENEVA, June 17 – Canada will be put in the company of some of the world’s worst abusers of human rights tomorrow when the UN’s highest human rights official expresses “alarm” over Quebec’s new law on demonstrations during her opening address to a meeting of the 47-nation UN Human Rights Council, revealed the Geneva-based monitoring group UN Watch, which obtained an advance copy of her speech. Other states on the UN watchlist include Syria, Pakistan and Zimbabwe.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Just a heads-up for you..... You spelled 'UN' wrong

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Canada has been cited, repeatedly, for Human Rights violations, by the United Nations. So this is NOT a joking matter.

This has occurred several times since 1950, which is one of the reasons why this new invasion of rights by Quebec is putting the country on the Watch List.

Politically correct "Free Speech" is NOT freedom of speech. Nor is limitations on the ability to demonstrate against your government.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Freedom expression isn't the same as free speech. You can express yourself all you want, how you want, just be prepared to face the consequences of the content.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I hope so.

That would be the final nail in the coffin for the CPC.

Greenie was by accident.

1. Although I dislike Quebec's bill, and I think it is unconstitutional, the very idea that it would put us on the UN's list of bad boys is soooo ludicrous.....it simply points out how ridiculous, useless, and irrelevant the UN really is.....

2. WHAT does this have to do with the Federal Conservative Party???

Although if I were PM, I'd have disallowed it.....along with Bill 101 and a few dozen other provincial stupidities......

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think the despots at the UN get a kick out of putting western nations on these Human Rights "Watch Lists".

Think of it as juvenile humor.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The CPC had nothing to do with QUEBEC passing the law.....the CPC has very little influence in Quebec.

You are are starting to stink of desperation.

I was talking federally not provincially.