Apache finds massive Canadian shale-gas field

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Protesters can start gearing up and riding their bikes to the Laird area........

Company finds 48 tcf gas field in northern British Columbia
* Test well in field most prolific ever
* No rush to develop while prices low
* One of several high-potential regions for company
* Shares rise 1.3 pct
CALGARY, Alberta, June 15 (Reuters) - Apache Corp has made what it believes may be one of the world's largest shale-gas discoveries in a remote corner of northeastern British Columbia, a massive field containing as much as 48 trillion cubic feet of recoverable natural gas.
The company has drilled three wells into its holdings in the Liard Basin in British Columbia, just south of where the province's northern border meets the borders of the Yukon and Northwest Territories. Those wells tapped into a massive shale-gas reservoir that alone could supply U.S. needs for almost two years.
"This is probably the best shale gas reservoir in the world," John Bedingfield, the company's vice president of worldwide exploration, said at a company presentation on Thursday.
Only one of the three wells drilled in the region was treated with the multiple-stage hydraulic fracturing process that has been key to unlocking North America' prolific shale-gas reserves. That well, which was "fracked" six times, delivered 21.3 million cubic feet of gas per day over its first thirty days of production, which Apache said was the most prolific shale-gas test well ever drilled.

Apache finds massive Canadian shale-gas field | Reuters

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I just wish they would put enough research money into dispelling the doom and
gloom about fracking. If we had some had facts on fracks the controversy would
dwindle to a trickle. I don't understand the corporate science end of things. They
just go ahead and announce they are doing what ever without doing the science
first. If they did that first they could start off saying here are the facts and from
there reasonable people could make a decision without wading through five years
of bull.
I am not against the practice if I know the science is safe. At present they are saying
underground water is affected and if so that requires a re-think.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Niiiice! Hope the price rises a bit soon.
Not too much though.
The price is so low their shutting down the Devon plant here and all related pipelines to it,some will remember it as the sulpher plant you would see coming into Alberta from BC on highway #3.

Pretty big blow to our community as far as jobs.
The Coseka sour gas field has now ceased to be producing and they just did a 20 million upgrade to it a few years ago.

Last edited:

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
dwindle to a trickle. I don't understand the corporate science end of things. They
first. If they did that first they could start off saying here are the facts and from
of bull.
I am not against the practice if I know the science is safe. At present they are saying
The corporations have the information, which they collect as a matter of course because if they don't they might get slammed by the almighty-seeing-eye of shareholder-ownership, and it's this: It seriously messes up deep-ground water-flow.

At first glance that's a big "so what". Most people only think about shallow-ground water-flow, like why you don't build an outhouse too close to a well, but deep-ground waterflow is the source of springs.

If you go wild with fracking, then every spring-source of water you've got gets erased from the map.

At that point, lots of people living in places like Toronto, Monteal, Vancouver and Calgary think "so what?". They think springs are cute little two-meter wide pools flowing out as little brooks a foot-wide.

Many don't know that some major sources of fresh water start as springs gushing tens of thousands of gallons of water per day, and they don't know that springs come from fresh water seeping through underground fissuers in the rock coming from sources hundreds of miles away.

Tell the corps they must replace, or pay for the cost of replacement, of fresh water lost to fracking if existing people and businesses depend on the spring-water lost.

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The corporations have the information, which they collect as a matter of course because if they don't they might get slammed by the almighty-seeing-eye of shareholder-ownership, and it's this: It seriously messes up deep-ground water-flow.

At first glance that's a big "so what". Most people only think about shallow-ground water-flow, like why you don't build an outhouse too close to a well, but deep-ground waterflow is the source of springs.

If you go wild with fracking, then every spring-source of water you've got gets erased from the map.

At that point, lots of people living in places like Toronto, Monteal, Vancouver and Calgary think "so what?". They think springs are cute little two-meter wide pools flowing out as little brooks a foot-wide.

Many don't know that some major sources of fresh water start as springs gushing tens of thousands of gallons of water per day, and they don't know that springs come from fresh water seeping through underground fissuers in the rock coming from sources hundreds of miles away.

The obvious simple way if Joe-schmoe doesn't want to hurt his braincells thinking about it when the corporate advertizing is so feel-good would be to pass a law telling the corps that they're free to frack to their hearts content, but if there's any disruption in spring-flow anywhere along the line they are blasting, then they pay the cost of what people lost when the spring stopped flowing.
Your water well will never get close to the depth of a gas or oil well and if it does you sure wouldnt be drinking the water from it.

It can cost 1 to 2 million to drill a gas or oil well,Do you really think anyones going to drill that deep for water?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Your water well will never get close to the depth of a gas or oil well and if it does you sure wouldnt be drinking the water from it.
You're thinking shallow ground-flow water. That's when you worry about how far from a well you build an outhouse. That's not how it works for deep ground-flow water, which can result in springs pushing tens of thousands of gallons per hour or day.
It can cost 1 to 2 million to drill a gas or oil well,Do you really think anyones going to drill that deep for water?
You're only saying that because you don't know how deep spring-water fissuers go.

How far down do you think the water from the other side of the range the waters in Banff seep down before they come up the other side as hot-water at Banff Springs?

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You're only saying that because you don't know how deep spring-water fissuers go.

How far down do you think the water from the other side of the range the waters in Banff seep down before they come up the other side as hot-water at Banff Springs?
Whaaaaa? You dont want to drink that water bud.
I spent a few years on an exploration drill,you dont have to go that deep for fresh water.For sure not even close to a gas deposit.

Banff has lots of coal seams so as water will not go through a coal seam but travel on top of it you open up a whole can of worms.

Theres anywhere from 6 coal seams in that area.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Whaaaaa? You dont want to drink that water bud.
I spent a few years on an exploration drill,you dont have to go that deep for fresh water.For sure not even close to a gas deposit.

Oh... and you think that *one* example of a spring is the only spring in the country?

And you also didn't answer the question of how far down deep-flow spring-water can go.

The answer is, as deep or deeper than humans drill for oil.

So... you're a shareholder in a fracking operation, eh?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Oh... and you think that *one* example of a spring is the only spring in the country?

And you also didn't answer the question of how far down deep-flow spring-water can go.

The answer is, as deep or deeper than humans drill for oil.

So... you're a shareholder in a fracking operation, eh?
No,I'm a private contractor and you mention a spring now,a spring comes from below,not from up above.
They dont usually drill wells on the top of mountains like in Banff.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
They have been fracking wells for decades.

Amazing were all still alive.

Untill the price of gas go's up you wont have to worry anyways and it will go up,their drilling very few gas wells right now.

All the rigs are in SK right now drilling for oil.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
of bull.

According to my son who has been working in the patch for 25 years and is involved with fracking constantly, it is a pretty brutal procedure as far as the environment is concerned.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's ueless to BC. Nobody will allow it to be piped anywhere. People could be ice cubes in Kamloops but weenies wouldn't give a **** because some marmoset might have to dig a new hole.

What a quandry....tsk tsk tsk.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do you know what this the issue is with the evil chemical formula and why it's kept hush hush? Govt knows what is in it, don't kid yourselves. I know exactly what those chems do and why companies won't go public. Do you cabbagefartknocker?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Here is a pretty thorough critique of fracking and shale gas. A negative one and I don't know of any positive analyses that are not industry generated. It is not only water quality that is in question, though that is a biggy.

From methane leaks to Earthquakes, there is reason to slow down development until we know far more about it.
I couldn't agree more.

Although I would go so far as to place a moratorium on it, until such time as the industry produces the recipe for fracking fluid, a plan that will ensure the integrity of ground water, and finally a bond to be held in trust for the life of the well. To help cover the costs of ANY negative changes to the water quality or level in the surrounding area.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Here is a pretty thorough critique of fracking and shale gas. A negative one and I don't know of any positive analyses that are not industry generated. It is not only water quality that is in question, though that is a biggy.

From methane leaks to Earthquakes, there is reason to slow down development until we know far more about it.

http://www.desmogblog.com/fracking-the-future/desmog-fracking-the-future.pdf

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001477...#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=fracking problems&gsc.page=1
Do you know where methane comes from bud? Decomposing organic material,so thats pretty well anywhere in Alberta or BC and it's au natural.I think you better read up on your geology a little bit if your going to be discussing rocks and water tables or aquifers.

Do you know what this the issue is with the evil chemical formula and why it's kept hush hush? Govt knows what is in it, don't kid yourselves. I know exactly what those chems do and why companies won't go public. Do you cabbagefartknocker?
I googled it but it's not exactly a secret whats in the fluid.