Ontario offers electricity deal

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, well, well. Looky here: Large industries looking to expand or set up in Ontario will be able to qualify for lower electricity prices next year. Eligible companies could qualify for a reduced rate if they create jobs and bring new investment to Ontario. Companies that make a minimum investment of $250 million will be eligible for long term contracts at the wholesale market price, about 30 per cent less than current electricity rates. If the new jobs a company creates disappear, so will its lower rate. The Liberal government says lower rates will make it easier for large firms to expand.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
BS. If you want to raise my rates, go right ahead; but don't then turn around and have my rates subsidize someone else's.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Of course they do. Everybody wants to pay more taxes.

I don't mind paying more taxes; I recognize that someone has to pay our federal and provincial debts. My issue is with my taxes being spent irrisponsibly or subsidizing those who don't need the subsidy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is. For business it makes sense to set up shop in a Province with a low debt ratio. It removes some of the risk of high taxation coming down the pipe.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It is. For business it makes sense to set up shop in a Province with a low debt ratio. It removes some of the risk of high taxation coming down the pipe.

Plus, if you raise taxes now and pay off the debt with it, you avoid paying interest later.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How far does it go when you are paying more taxes and subsidizing industry?

In the long run it goes farther if I pay more taxes now to pay off the debt than later to pay off the debt plus interest.

On the other hand, it does nothing if it just goes to subsidize inductry. Sure it might bring prices down for sertain products and services, but then what's the point of taxing me more just to subsidize industry to bring the cost of goods down. Seems overcomplicated when you could just then lower my taxes and not subsidize industry.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
BS. If you want to raise my rates, go right ahead; but don't then turn around and have my rates subsidize someone else's.

Actually, the province has been subsidizing residential electricity by 15% for the past couple years which is due to expire in the near future.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Actually, the province has been subsidizing residential electricity by 15% for the past couple years which is due to expire in the near future.

Then a responsible government would raise rates by 15% and I'd be for that, as long as you don't make an exception for anyone. By the sound of the OP, it's looking as subsidizing some even more with the rest footing the bill.

Why is the government subsidizing my electricity? And why does it want to sobsidize others' even more!