Man catches homemade bomb while fishing south of Saskatoon

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'll do a better job next time.

RCMP are attempting to determine how a homemade explosive device came to be caught by a fisherman in a Saskatchewan.
Saskatoon RCMP were contacted Sunday night around 7:20 p.m. by a man who had been fishing at the Brightwater Reservoir near Hanley, approximately 72 kilometres south of Saskatoon. The fisherman had caught and removed from the water what he believed to be a homemade bomb, say RCMP.

Officers responded to the call, clearing and securing the area before calling in the RCMP explosives disposal unit. The object was confirmed to be “some type of homemade explosive device,” say police. The device was neutralized at the scene and the area was then declared safe for the public.

The incident remains under investigation. Saskatchewan RCMP say it is the first time such a device has been found in a body of water.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Like the time an explosion was heard north of Rankin and folks thought a russian sub was in the vicinity,it was just some Innuit with a few sticks of dynamite doing some good old redneck fishing.
I heard this yesterday and fishing was the first thing that comes to mind,My old 30-30 used to work quite well in some pools.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
When I was stationed in Germany, we would go out on field problems for 2-3 weeks at a time. We would get tired of eating Army food, so we would find a small lake, toss in a few grenades, and collect the fish as they floated up to the top.

It worked very well, and was a good way to vary our diet.