Sheesh, a guy gives Harpo a present..........and

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ya I saw that too.

I don't see the necessity of the charge, unless someone in the CPC wants to get in on the free advertising, or bilk a little sympathy from the whole nightmare.

Teows comments smack of exploitation as well...

On Friday, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said his so-called Internet snooping bill would help police investigate the shocking murder and dismemberment of a man in Montreal.

"Certainly, that's what the police have told me - that the powers in Bill C-30 are very relevant to this type of investigation in terms of either determining who the individual is, or determining the whereabouts of an individual," said Toews on Friday in Winnipeg.

Bill C-30 would force Internet service providers and cellphone companies to give police information about customers' online activity on request, creating a storm of privacy concerns that have left the bill stalled in the Commons.
I haven't heard of any site not cooperating with law enforcement as best they can on this.

Hell, when Toronto Police Services were contacted early on in this, and notified that a video had been uploaded, they dismissed it.

Toews offered his condolences to Lin's family.
That wouldn't come across as hollow as it does, had he not taken the opportunity to push his ridiculous bill.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So can we all get in on the action if we say we fear for our safety? ;)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
AH that,on other boards,some suspect these type of laws are imagined not to protect us from criminal,but as an excuse to go after the allege movie pirate,yeah someone who doesn't make a dime froma sharing his collection of movies that can't be found in any stores is bad.
I wouldn't doubt that at all.

Although I'm not going to go running to the hills if this legislation gets implemented, but it is a disturbing trend in internet travels and regulating.

I think the reactions of certain sites to what was posted on their servers, is pretty telling. In that they are more than willing to aid law enforcement when a serious crime has been committed. Without force or coercion.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think a lot of the law makers don't really have a good grasp of just how the internet works. Either that or there is someone pushing certain laws for a specific purpose that has nothing to do with security or safety.