Bombardier -- we give them money why?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I saw on the news this morning that Bombardier is planning on closing one of its Canadian plants and relocating it to Mexico. This is the same Bombardier which takes millions of Canadian taxpayer bailouts and loans. Why are we subsidising a company which employs Mexicans?

We should immediatly call all our loans. A bankrupt Bombardier will employ the same amount of Canadian employees as a Mexican one.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Which division is heading to Mexico? One that does make high tech weapons systems?

P.S. It's because of the oil sands.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) was spun off in 2004 and is no longer affiliated with Bombardier Inc

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I saw on the news this morning that Bombardier is planning on closing one of its Canadian plants and relocating it to Mexico. This is the same Bombardier which takes millions of Canadian taxpayer bailouts and loans. Why are we subsidising a company which employs Mexicans?

We should immediatly call all our loans. A bankrupt Bombardier will employ the same amount of Canadian employees as a Mexican one.

This same company received 65 million in the 80's and moved their plant to Europe- they sold the Canadian Military- Iltis jeeps- 65 k a copy - we bought 10 ton all terrain heavy left trucks for 50 K a copy from a German company. Of course everything was on the up and up on the Iltis and other corporate welfare they received. .

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Here's a thought; regardless of who owns the damn thing why can't the Canadian taxpayer recoup SOME of their contributions to Bombardier who presumably reaped some profit from this divisions sale to Polaris.

Every time we turned around in the 80's and 90's, we heard how the gov't was giving one grant or another to that company. One of their little donations was to offset costs for Bombardier to develope "green" lawnmowers (failed by the way) fer chrissake! They want to develope something FOOT THE DAMN COSTS THEMSELVES! Sheesh.

Rant over.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Because this is Canada and that's the way we roll.

Here's a thought; regardless of who owns the damn thing why can't the Canadian taxpayer recoup SOME of their contributions to Bombardier who presumably reaped some profit from this divisions sale to Polaris.

Every time we turned around in the 80's and 90's, we heard how the gov't was giving one grant or another to that company. One of their little donations was to offset costs for Bombardier to develope "green" lawnmowers (failed by the way) fer chrissake! They want to develope something FOOT THE DAMN COSTS THEMSELVES! Sheesh.

Rant over.

Good rant.

Seems a rather obvious thing that investor's should see some sort of return on their investment doesn't it? No wonder they call it corporate welfare.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Well I am glad this thread attracted some attention. The identical thread I started yesterday didn't. I'll repost my original comment here.

After years of corporate tax cuts we have Bombardier laying off 3000 employees and tranferring the jobs to Mexico. And that is entirely the problem with across the board tax cuts that make no distinction between businesses that actually create jobs and those that don't.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that some of the many tax cuts handed out to big business in Canada have not served to create a few jobs, but in this case they certainly did not . Developments like this certainly tend to weaken the claim that lower taxes act as an incentive to big business to create jobs, unless those in favour of such policies intend that the jobs be created in some other country.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

But....but all the cool kids...I mean companies...are doing it!