New York plans to ban super-sized fizzy drinks

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

NEW York’s mayor Michael Bloomberg wants to restrict sales of large sized sugary soft drinks in public venues, a move likely to revive accusations he is creating a nanny state.

The move would outlaw sales drinks of 473 ml (16 oz) and over in restaurants, cinemas, stadiums and arenas.

Cups over that size at self-service fountains would also disappear, although refills will still be allowed and customers would not be prevented from buying more than one drink at a time of a medium size or lower.

The ban would apply to any drink that contains more than 25 calories per 235 ml (8 ounces), and less than 51% milk or milk substitute by volume as an ingredient, meaning Americans’ beloved milk shakes would be given a reprieve.

The move is the latest of several anti-obesity and nutrition initiatives undertaken by Mr Bloomberg to tackle the incidence of obesity-related conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the US, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible',” Mr Bloomberg told the New York Times.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands. It’s about doing something. I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

During his ten years in office, Mr Bloomberg has blocked the sale of sugary beverages from vending machines in schools, and banned artery-clogging trans-fats from restaurants and prepared foods.

In 2008, the city required restaurant chains to display the calorie-counts of their menu items.

He has also unsuccessfully lobbied for a state soda tax and tried to stop the purchase of soft drinks with food stamps.

The move will effectively be passed by mayoral fiat, bypassing the city council and requiring only the approval of the health board that recommended it, after a three-month consultation period.

Restaurants and other outlets would have six months from the date of adoption to comply or face fines.

Stefan Friedman, spokesman for the New York City Beverage Association, accused the mayor and the health board of a misplaced fixation with sweet drinks.

"There they go again. The New York City Health Department's unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top," he said.

"The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates."

He cited national data that calories from sugar-sweetened beverages are a small and declining part of the American diet.

According to the mayor’s aides, sugary drinks are however a major cause of obesity.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh great. Now there won't be any overweight people in NYC. (see sarcasm)

Good grief. See what happens when US Liberals have complete control in an area?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I would agree to this if it could be objectively shown that there is a significant harm to everyone else as a direct result of the sale of this product.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Cups over that size at self-service fountains would also disappear, although refills will still be allowed and customers would not be prevented from buying more than one drink at a time of a medium size or lower.

Customers would not be prevented. Oh aren't they so nice.

Baby steps though. They'll probably have the first refill at double the price once the law settles in... or no free refills in places that offer them.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why should the government care if I have a large soft drink? Are they going to make it illegal to sit on your couch too (you must excercise!)?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Why should the government care if I have a large soft drink? Are they going to make it illegal to sit on your couch too (you must excercise!)?

If it can be shown that sitting on your ass causes serious harm to everyone else, sure.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It would only cause harm if you were under my ass.

How would drinking a large drink or sitting on my couch cause harm to anybody else?

I agree with you. That's why I said "if". :)

For this example, a couple of things would need to be shown..

1.) The sale of large fizzy drinks directly causes a substantial increase in obesity rates
2.) Obesity is causing significant harm to the general population

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They don't need to legislate consumption, they need to legislate brain washing.

Convincing people that health can be consumed, or happiness swallowed, is what should be made illegal.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I agree with you. That's why I said "if". :)

For this example, a couple of things would need to be shown..

1.) The sale of large fizzy drinks directly causes a substantial increase in obesity rates
2.) Obesity is causing significant harm to the general population

I think you might be able suggest #1 but I don't think you (or anybody) could every prove #2.

They don't need to legislate consumption, they need to legislate brain washing.

Convincing people that health can be consumed, or happiness swallowed, is what should be made illegal.

I am going to go have a coke and a smile. In addition, everybody knows if you drink coke you save polar bears and prevent global warming.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Uh oh Boston.. looks like NY City is trying to "Out Nanny" you. Lets make another stupid restrictive law fast!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Oh great. Now there won't be any overweight people in NYC. (see sarcasm)

Good grief. See what happens when US Liberals have complete control in an area?

Thank God!!:roll:

That will sure as hell help the
drug
gang
violence
etc.
problems.

Like banning pablum...........WTF's the point?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Does that apply to quarts of beer?

What about whole cheesecakes? Surely we must limit the purchase to one slice TOPS and reduce the size of the slice.

And let's not forget cupcakes from Magnolia's Bakery. You can get a whole dozen of those delights!