Tuition protesters threaten Grand Prix as talks resume with Quebec government

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Were talking a hundred million here folks, identify them and promise to SUE THEM!

Tuition protesters could target Grand Prix as talks resume with Quebec government | News | National Post

One student association is now threatening to target the extremely popular Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal’s most profitable weekend.
The weekend generates an estimated $100 million in revenues to the city as more than 300,000 spectators flock to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve race track.
Crescent Street, an important artery in the heart of downtown, is home to a large number of merchants who benefit from the June 8 to 10 Grand Prix weekend.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Blame Charest.

While Charest has obviously mishandled the situation, the blame should still fall on arrogant entitled children whose "education" is only beginning and think that a degree in Arts, Drama, or basket weaving entitles them to run an already deeply indebted province. Apparently universities do not care much for teaching economics.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
People only go to the Grand Prix in hope of seeing spectacular crashes. These races are about as useful as an oil slick on a pond.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The event generates almost $100 million in revenue for the city.

I can understand why people would want to hinder that cash stream.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yea, I'm sure missing Grand Prix for a year will be fine while Quebec sorts out EDUCATION.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yea, I'm sure missing Grand Prix for a year will be fine while Quebec sorts out EDUCATION.
Although the sentiment is not lost on me. I have always endorsed free higher education.

But we aren't talking about your paycheque.

We're talking about a $100 million revenue stream. Peoples employment, peoples businesses, will all be negatively affected.

Any attempt to impede that, is not only contemptible, but violates the rights of others.

You may advocate that sort of thing, well, actually you don't, do you. You've been quite vocal about the impediment of peoples rights during the unrest in Quebec.

Why are the students rights more important to you, than those of people how have done nothing to warrant such an abuse of their ability to earn a living and impediment of their fundamental rights?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Glad we agree.
Did you just come to this realization?

Or did the question in my post make you to uncomfortable to answer it?

Maybe you missed it, here it is again...

Why are the students rights more important to you, than those of people how have done nothing to warrant such an abuse of their ability to earn a living and impediment of their fundamental rights?

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
People only go to the Grand Prix in hope of seeing spectacular crashes. These races are about as useful as an oil slick on a pond.

Pretty much.

Hopefully Charest doesn't screw this up any more than he already has.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

The main thing about it is, Montreal was dropped from the circuit a year or two ago, and only re-instated after a lot of lobbying and work. So this could well kill it off again, for good, and that will be a big blow to the Montreal economy.

I know the students want to make a point, but they might make their point too well.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The main thing about it is, Montreal was dropped from the circuit a year or two ago, and only re-instated after a lot of lobbying and work. So this could well kill it off again, for good, and that will be a big blow to the Montreal economy.

I see your point, but it would depend on whether it would kill it off for good. And if so, it would be on Charest's head for not being able to do his job properly. He's had quite a bit of time and the only response was draconian legislation which made things worse.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I see your point, but it would depend on whether it would kill it off for good. And if so, it would be on Charest's head for not being able to do his job properly. He's had quite a bit of time and the only response was draconian legislation which made things worse.
I won't argue that Charest bears some responsibility, but you completely negate the responsibility of the protesters.

I see my question made you too uncomfortable to answer it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

That's a great way to deflect any responsibility. It's not my fault, Charest made me do it. Of course, he was instrumental in brining the race back to Montreal. So maybe it really is his fault, because if he hadn't helped bring the race back, the students wouldn't be able to protest at it, ruining a huge revenue stream for the city.

You have no idea how much money is spent in the city that week.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I won't argue that Charest bears some responsibility, but you completely negate the responsibility of the protesters.

Their responsibility is on the streets.

The economic fortunes of the city is not their responsibility as long as they protest peacefully.

In any event, I'm sure they are aware that the burden for any economic problems will be shared if it affects everyone involved.

But when I talk about responsibility, I'm referring to the proximate cause which sets off this sequence of events, and that is coming from the actions of the government.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

The economic fortunes of the city is not their responsibility as long as they protest peacefully.

In any event, I'm sure they are aware that the burden for any economic problems will be shared if it affects everyone involved.

Peaceful protest can be just as disruptive as violent protest. Apparently you support the rights of protestors over any other groups rights, most specifically those who have spent a lifetime building a career or business and in that time did not trample rights to get there.
Quite the dogma.

Gee there used to be such a thing as a ballot box and obvious warnings about how it would be used if a large group was unhappy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Peaceful protest can be just as disruptive as violent protest. Apparently you support the rights of protestors over any other groups rights, most specifically those who have spent a lifetime building a career or business and in that time did not trample rights to get there.

Quite the dogma.

How do you determine which rights are more important?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Yes, all that has been glaringly apparent.

But when I talk about responsibility, I'm referring to the proximate cause which sets off this sequence of events, and that is coming from the actions of the government.
Peaceful protest, is more than acceptable, it's our right to do so.

To willfully, and purposely attempt to shut down the livelihoods of others, is a strike at their fundamental rights.

If the examples set by the previous weeks events, are a preview of things to come. Your prediction is based on something other than reality.

That's a great question.

Why didn't you answer it when I asked you?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

I believe i clearly indicated my preference when i referred to everyday people, commerce that makes the world go round, the ballot box and majorities. The minority here are not being discriminated against due to being expected to pay a reasonable amount of tuition IMO.