Should public school be subject to public school rules?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
One would think the answer ought to be obvious, yet some seem to be suggesting that some public schools ought to be exempt from public school rules.

While we can certainly see private schools being exempt from public school rules, should any public school be exempt from them?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
One would think the answer ought to be obvious, yet some seem to be suggesting that some public schools ought to be exempt from public school rules.

While we can certainly see private schools being exempt from public school rules, should any public school be exempt from them?
What broken rule is it you are upset about now?

Why do I smell a Catholic bent coming.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I support anti bullying initiatives. I was bullied all the way through junior high, being referred to as a "faggot", "gay", "nancy". What I don't support is government trying to change religious teachings. It's possible to have "anti bullying clubs" without specific reference to "gay" or "homosexual". While I do not support the Catholic stance on homosexuality, I believe that it should be changed from within by those that it concerns.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
What I don't support is government trying to change religious teachings. It's possible to have "anti bullying clubs" without specific reference to "gay" or "homosexual".

These clubs wouldnt change the religious teachings. Also, seeing as they would be started by students themselves let them decide whether or not to use the words "gay" or "homosexual."

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And what public schools are those?

I think they happen to be Catholic. But I'd say the same regardless of the religion. Not my fault they happen to be Catholic.

In my opinion even private schools shouldnt be exempt from them.

Perhaps. But it would seem that this should apply especially to public schools. I could see certain rules applyting to public schools but not private schools in some cases at least.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Ok, well those happen to be Separate schools. Not public schools.

They're separate public schools in that they are established by the state. Some people are not aware of this, but there are private Catholic schools in Ontario, separate from the Separate schools and not at all public schools. I am not referring to those schools.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nope. They're established by the Separate School Board and the local Diocese.

So what's the difference between a separate school and private Catholic schools in Ontario?

Private Catholic Schools

I like this clip from the site linked to above (bolding mine for emphasis):

"The advantage in going to a private school that is also a Catholic school is that you get the smaller class sizes that you would associate with a private school along with less government influence than is found in publicly funded Catholic schools. Among our private Catholic schools, you can find Montessori Catholic schools, Catholic boarding schools, boys' Catholic schools, girls' Catholic schools and other types. "

So if you want less government influence in your school, you know what to do.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Tuition and level of faith indoctrination.

What does that have to do with your original claim?

The original claim being whether public schools ought to be bound to the same rules. Separate schools are stilll public schools by definition in that they are established by the state.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Partially funded by separate taxation. Making it unique and separate.

But still under government auspices. It's not like any Jewish community could establish the same thing. So it's still supported by taxes that would otherwise have gone to a secular school system, and which Jews are not granted for example.

So in that sense, it's still public in that teh two are linked. If you pay taxes to one, you don't to the other, and that is still set up by the government, thus public by definition.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As are all schools.

The difference is though that if your child goes to a Separate school, you can chose not to pay taxes into the public school system, whereas if you chose to send your child to a private Catholic, Jewish, secular, or other school you still have to pay into either the secularor Separate system.

So from that point of view, it's still taxes supporting the public school, whetehr secular or Separate, whereas far fewer taxes if any support the private system. Certainly if it's taxes paying for it, then the government has more of a say in how it's run than if it's private.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The difference is though that if your child goes to a Separate school, you can chose not to pay taxes into the public school system, whereas if you chose to send your child to a private Catholic, Jewish, secular, or other school you still have to pay into either the secularor Separate system.
With the ability to deduct the tuition I believe. Thus negating the taxation.

So from that point of view, it's still taxes supporting the public school, whetehr secular or Separate, whereas far fewer taxes if any support the private system.
Actually, we've been over this before. Captain and I both, showed you the Education Act, where funding per student is applied, regardless of what school one goes to.

Certainly if it's taxes paying for it, then the government has more of a say in how it's run than if it's private.
Not according to the Education Act. All schools are subject to it.

With the ability to deduct the tuition I believe. Thus negating the taxation.
Nope, not deductible.