B.C. town silences its ice cream trucks with ban on mobile ‘noise’

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Aww...who doesn't love those tunes they play eh? :lol:

The tinny music of the ice cream truck — an icon of summertime that provokes parents and children alike, but in very different ways — has been banned in West Kelowna, B.C.

The fast-growing Okanagan district has fielded numerous residents’ complaints about the “noise,” and this week banned music as it enacted a new policy on mobile vendors.

It didn’t come without debate. At least one councillor reportedly feared the music lures children into running in front of traffic; another councillor feared for the district’s image if it bans ice-cream truck music.

more

West Kelowna, B.C. silences its ice cream trucks with ban on mobile 'noise' | News | National Post

I suppose the ice cream truck rights' lobby groups will make an appearance soon. ;-)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Aww...who doesn't love those tunes they play eh? :lol:

Um, no one loves it, lol, but banning it is a whole different kettle of fish altogether.

It didn’t come without debate.
Well that's good to hear, except...

At least one councillor reportedly feared the music lures children into running in front of traffic;
this makes this Good Humour Man sound like the Pied Piper.

another councillor feared for the district’s image if it bans ice-cream truck music.
This fear seems entirely more realistic to me.

This is right up there with banning bouncing balls on school property. If the noise is too loud, then decibel level restrictions should take care of that. But come on, it's the middle of the day. It's not like the ice cream truck is trolling through the neighbourhoods at 3am. Just suck it up and expect some noise if you live in the city.

I suppose the ice cream truck rights' lobby groups will make an appearance soon. ;-)
I disagree with this by-law but I disavow any connection to the ice cream trucks rights lobby group. ;)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

“I wonder if that stick cures diabetes?”