'Apocalyptic' floating island of waste in the Maldives

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
There may be some of you that have never been to a garbage dump of any real size.

The one my dad would take us (to see bears pawing thru the garbage) to as kids (near Burks Falls Ont.) was small but I can still recall the smell.

Anywho, have a go at this one in the Maldives. Video on the page:

The Maldives are known as an unspoilt, paradise island destination for upmarket tourists but the BBC's Simon Reeve has paid a visit to a part of the Maldives that tourists do not see - a huge floating island waste dump.

He was accompanied by local conservationist Marie Celine who explained how the country struggles with waste management.
The Maldives' government told the BBC they were looking at ways to tackle their waste problem.

Indian Ocean with Simon Reeve continues on Sunday 20 May at 20:00 BST on BBC Two. Catch up online at BBC iPlayer (UK only) or watch more clips at the above link.

BBC News - 'Apocalyptic' floating island of waste in the Maldives

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Just awesome.

Can someone tell me why a theory, based on models that some scientist disagree with takes more precedence than that f!cking ecological disaster?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Where are the ego-nuts?

Where is the outrage from the so called forum green thinkers?
They haven't been whipping into a fear frenzy yet. The headlines needs more: 'Apocalyptic' floating island of waste in the Maldives threatens west coast blind bigfoot population.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They haven't been whipping into a fear frenzy yet. The headlines needs more: 'Apocalyptic' floating island of waste in the Maldives threatens west coast blind bigfoot population.

But things like this, and the gyre, are acutely affecting the ecosystem. No theory, simple, direct affect.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have a solution for the Maldives, if they're going to burn the trash, follow some European nations and burn the trash to make energy. The local conservationist was right, just dumping it on an island is no solution. Sweden only sends 4% of their household waste to landfills.

As for which environmental problems get more attention, one that's global in nature will always receive more attention than local ones. And as far as media is concerned, it fits their model better if they can present the story with two contrary opinions. Most people would agree that this dump site on the Maldives is horrendous and a problem that should be solved.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As for which environmental problems get more attention, one that's global in nature will always receive more attention than local ones.
That isn't local. The dump maybe, but the Indian Ocean isn't.

Most people would agree that this dump site on the Maldives is horrendous and a problem that should be solved.
Yet here we are, the only member that supports the AGW 100%, you. BTW; You're environmental credibility, isn't in question.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That isn't local. The dump maybe, but the Indian Ocean isn't.

So regional...point is the scale is different. By the way, landfills like that one produce a lot of methane.

Yet here we are, the only member that supports the AGW 100%, you.

I'm not quite sure what that means. When someone blames warm weather on global warming I don't support statements like that.

Though it's funny, just the other day there were a few posters that even opposed fees meant to send less plastic bags to our own landfills. And then we have posters who deny deleterious impacts of heavy metals going into rivers and oceans from industrial processes. No theories, an obvious outcome, yet...

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Mayhaps we'll become involved more intensely when that tide of crap from Japan creates a reason for us to be outraged at the cost of cleaning our shoreline of stuff that's everything from a biohazard to radioactive?

Maybe then?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So regional...point is the scale is different.
I don't place much stock in that type of thinking. Damage to environment, is damage to the environment.

Some forms of damage are acute.

I'm not quite sure what that means.
It means to me, you are the only member that has ANY credibility when it comes to the environment. The rest are bobbleheads, parroting/shilling a political agenda.

Though it's funny, just the other day there were a few posters that even opposed fees meant to send less plastic bags to our own landfills.
No, this member pointed out that a tax imposed by Tdot, was going into the pockets of big businesses. When it should have gone into green policy in the city.

While the Usual Suspect, shilled for the last Mayor, towed the NDP line, Ford bad. While erroneously supporting the enforced profits reaped by big business.
And then we have posters who deny deleterious impacts of heavy metals going into rivers and oceans from industrial processes.
We do?

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't place much stock in that type of thinking. Damage to environment, is damage to the environment.

Sure, but there are many who do. Think back to our discussion about charities. Local versus international. Who get's more attention? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but for some people that's just the way it is.
Some forms of damage are acute.

Yep, acute is often easier to treat than something that is chronic. There are many solutions the Maldives could go with that would easilly address the issue.
It means to me, you are the only member that has ANY credibility when it comes to the environment.

Oh, well that's nice of you to say.

No, this member pointed out that a tax imposed by Tdot, was going into the pockets of big businesses. When it should have gone into green policy in the city.

I don't know where the money ended up going, but that sounds likely. There was more than one member talking about collecting dog poop or replacing kitchen garbage. Your waste policy does seem a bit askew. Waste destined for the landfill doesn't need to be placed in a bag. It's unnecessary.

Yep.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yep, acute is often easier to treat than something that is chronic.
I look at it like triage.

I don't know where the money ended up going, but that sounds likely.
It ended up in the accounts of companies like Oshawa Food Group.

Your waste policy does seem a bit askew. Waste destined for the landfill doesn't need to be placed in a bag. It's unnecessary.
You're preaching to the choir bud.

I hadn't noticed. Likely buried by the countless posts on punitive taxation and green initiatives that will cost the ratepayers more.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This problem is connected to every other problem on this planet.
There are parts of the world who are well informed and doing
something to stay ahead of the advancement of mankind and there
are places in the world like this that haven't even come to the
realization that the filth beneath their feet has the potential to
do them serious harm. The wide spread of advancement or non
advancement of the worlds civilizations are beginning to clearly
demonstrate how we can be affected by these parts of the world.
No I am not talking about mounting a crusade with billions of dollars
in expenses. I am talking about lending the real rational scientific
findings to those in parts of the world who don't have the resources
to clean up or even plan a system for proper waste disposal. Having
them do it themselves and learn is more important than going in and
paying for it and managing a cleanup.
The first incentive would be no cleanup no tourists and no income.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Yea but the greenies are against it here. I think they are afraid someone will make money off it.
Place where I grew up outgrew it's garbage dump, put in a burner which ran for about 15 years. Never worked proper that I know of mostly because there was never enough to burn long and hot. Meanwhile they could not get an environmental permit to run it through the local pulp mill boiler so now all the waste is compacted and barged to somewhere in Washington for disposal. Smart or what?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
BBC News - 'Apocalyptic' floating island of waste in the Maldives

First I heard of this one. It's a baby compared to the floating garbage patches in the north and south Pacific, north and south Atlantic, and the Indian ocean. Not sure about the others, but the one in the north Pacific is about 1.5 times the size of BC and the one in the south Pacific is even bigger.
Not only that but 90% of the garbage in the oceans is sunken.