N.J. man jailed after bank teller accidentally gives him an extra $2,700

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Burlington County man was put in jail after he didn't return money mistakenly given to him by a teller while cashing a check at a bank, according to a report on PhillyBurbs.com

Felipe S. DePadula, 27, of Riverside is charged with receiving stolen property after a teller at Delanco Federal Savings Bank on Route 130 in Cinnaminson gave him $3,000 when he went to cash a $300 check.

The bank contacted DePadula about the error a few days later but he said he lost the envelope that had the cash, the report said.
He was charged Wednesday after police examined the bank's security footage. DePadula was held on $2,500 bail. The construction worker has been unemployed since being injured, according to 6abc.com.

N.J. man jailed after bank teller accidentally gives him an extra $2,700 | NJ.com

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
When was the last time a Banker was jailed for anything? (let alone a mistake that small, guess that is the new boundary for the pound of flesh price)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
For one to be the receiver of stolen goods wouldn't that make the person who handed it to you an accomplice?

...though saying he lost it sort of screws up a good "screw you" line....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
For one to be the receiver of stolen goods wouldn't that make the person who handed it to you an accomplice?

...though saying he lost it sort of screws up a good "screw you" line....

Well panic after you've already spent the money and they ask for it back is not really conducive to thinking up good excuses.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If he is going through all the crap I went through after being hurt (and I'm assuming on the job) three hots and a cot are a lot better option than what he had.

Bank robbers rate highly in prison society....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh don't get me wrong. I understand why he would keep it. Hell, I can even empathize with him. But I can't believe that he, or anyone else with a conscience, wouldn't know what they were doing was wrong from the get go.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yeah, eh.... That's the problem with a conscience. If I find it on the sidewalk outside of any wallet or purse, it's mine. If I see it fall, then it has a face....

...silly conscience

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, eh.... That's the problem with a conscience. If I find it on the sidewalk outside of any wallet or purse, it's mine. If I see it fall, then it has a face....

...silly conscience

LOL. Yeah, that damn conscience does get annoying doesn't it? I know that if that happened to me, I would not keep it. I'd be tempted sure, most people probably would be even if only for a second or two. But I know that my first thought would be about what kind of trouble the teller would be in for this 'error'. And that would eat away at me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's the way I see it. Unless he has the I.Q. of a barnacle, he knew what he was doing!

This same discussion was had in the thread about the German man who's bank had transferred millions into his account in error. I'm telling you, it is revealing to hear exactly who would keep it and who wouldn't. Reveals a lot about character.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This same discussion was had in the thread about the German man who's bank had transferred millions into his account in error. I'm telling you, it is revealing to hear exactly who would keep it and who wouldn't. Reveals a lot about character.

Yep, draws a pretty distinct line between who is honest and who is a crook. :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep, draws a pretty distinct line between who is honest and who is a crook. :lol:

Crook might be a wee bit of a stretch, I wouldn't go that far. What I think it does show is how many people can and will post-rationalize a behaviour to justify themselves. I often wonder who they are trying to convince though, us or themselves?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Crook might be a wee bit of a stretch, I wouldn't go that far. What I think it does show is how many people can and will post-rationalize a behaviour to justify themselves. I often wonder who they are trying to convince though, us or themselves?

LOL- There is a real fast way to check if it is justifiable, just reverse the situation in your mind.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
LOL- There is a real fast way to check if it is justifiable, just reverse the situation in your mind.

Yes of course. But it's astounding to me how many people are really just so self-involved that they don't seem to be able to do that. It's an entire mindset and I've encountered many, both young and old, who do this.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes of course. But it's astounding to me how many people are really just so self-involved that they don't seem to be able to do that. It's an entire mindset and I've encountered many, both young and old, who do this.

Yep, it's called a feeling of entitlement!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why? Keeping something that does not belong to you is dishonest.

Hard to say. Until he realizes it, no foul. Once informed and he refuses, and there is evidence, then it's theft.

Now if he lost the envelope (and I'll give the benefit of the doubt here), then he's only responsible for his 300.00 lost since the had the teller not made the mistake, he would not have lost the bank's money too, so then the bank is responsible too.

Now the quesiton is, is he telling the truth about having lost the envelope? I think that is what the case will hinge on.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hard to say. Until he realizes it, no foul. Once informed and he refuses, and there is evidence, then it's theft.

Now if he lost the envelope (and I'll give the benefit of the doubt here), then he's only responsible for his 300.00 lost since the had the teller not made the mistake, he would not have lost the bank's money too, so then the bank is responsible too.

Now the quesiton is, is he telling the truth about having lost the envelope? I think that is what the case will hinge on.

You have to apply an element of common sense to the situation as well. Who would mistake $3000 for $300? Even if he got the money in $100 bills, that's still a significant enough difference in bulk size! And when was the last time anyone went to a bank where they didn't count the money in front of you?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You have to apply an element of common sense to the situation as well. Who would mistake $3000 for $300? Even if he got the money in $100 bills, that's still a significant enough difference in bulk size! And when was the last time anyone went to a bank where they didn't count the money in front of you?

Depends on circumstances. A friend, emoployer, whatever gives him the check to cash in, and he didn't look closely at the amount, or was busy or distracted by other things in life and was just taking the money. Highly unlikely, but still within the realm of possibility and so must still be considered in the court case, which I'm sure it will be explored.