Facebook friends turn in alleged assailants

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
WINNIPEG - It's all fun and games until someone sends your bar fight video to the police.

A group of young men in The Pas videotaped themselves taunting an intoxicated man outside the local Legion on May 5.

"It was stupid. I don't know what they were expecting," said The Pas RCMP Sgt. Lee Fortin.

The drunk man was walking away from the group, but they called him back. As he approached, one male from the group -- who RCMP say was much larger than the victim -- punched him square in the face, knocking him to the ground.

As the victim bled from his face, the group laughed hysterically into the camera mic, happy to have caught the whole incident on tape.

Their Facebook friends didn't agree, however, and soon after the video was posted to the social networking site it was turned over to RCMP -- by several concerned citizens.

"I guess people stewed about it over the weekend and wanted to come to us," Fortin said.

Just as police were about to crack down -- after the victim's family came forward -- the originators of the video took it down.

RCMP have a copy, but they've ensured it's not online and won't release it to the public.

"It's one of those things I would love the public to see, even," Fortin said. "But it's our key piece of evidence so we can't have the public seeing it ... it does show the victim."
"It's beyond me what kind of reaction they were hoping to get from it," Fortin said.

The victim told police he'd had to go to hospital after the attack, but had been so intoxicated he didn't remember why -- until he saw the video.

An RCMP investigation led to the arrest of two men, who police believe are the cameraman and the assailant.

Jean-Rock Plante, 29, and Blake Harry Constant, 30, have both been charged with assault causing bodily harm and were released on promises to appear, with a court date of June 18.

source:

Facebook friends turn in alleged assailants | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Another couple of idiot losers who don't even have youth as some lame ass excuse for their infantile behaviour.

Freaking morons.