Government to stop issuing SIN cards in 2014

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ottawa will stop issuing social insurance cards in March, 2014.

Scrapping the cards will save $1.5-million a year and protect Canadians from fraud, officials said on Tuesday at the Senate finance committee.In the future, people starting work or accessing government services for the first time will receive their social insurance number in a letter, without the classic plastic card.

more

Why your SIN's future is not longer in the cards - The Globe and Mail

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Great, so you now have to carry a letter in your wallet...

going to apply for 2 or 3 new SIN cards to keep safe in my safety deposit box tomorrow.. fukking stupid Government. It's a forum of ID... unless they are thinking of chipping everyone??????

Sure get rid of the Plastic card, but replace it with a paper card like the Social Security Card in the USA.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually this is not such a bad idea. I don't carry my card with me anyway as I know it
by heart as it were. A letter at home is good you can copy it if you need to. The other
thing is we as citizens use it too much anyway. There are a lot of times you are not
required to give it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Back in the 70s ans 80s, people would talk to me a lot about the mark of the beast. I would just say, "What do you think your SIN number is?" I memorized my number decades ago and I never use the card and have not given out my number for over twenty years. I have always viewed it as a badge of enslavement.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Back in the 70s ans 80s, people would talk to me a lot about the mark of the beast. I would just say, "What do you think your SIN number is?" I memorized my number decades ago and I never use the card and have not given out my number for over twenty years. I have always viewed it as a badge of enslavement.

So you're saying, you have evaded paying taxes for the last 20 years... humm

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
My card shredded itself into about a thousand piecesabout 4 years ago, I should get a new one, but why? The only time you need the number is when opening a bank account or starting a new job. Other uses of it are not actually permitted, although people use it for other things. It's only supposed to be used to track financial things that involve the CRA.

And it's not much of an 'ID' card, since it only has a name and a number on it, no identifying things that connect it to anyone.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So you're saying, you have evaded paying taxes for the last 20 years... humm
Jealous? As Dylan once said, It takes an honest man to live outside the law (or something like that). ;-)

Just checked my tax return and it is on there, but I don't remember having given it out. I just assumed it was on there when the Guv sent it to me.