More reasons for stupid baby names

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Those filthy peace hippies did it first I think. But they were kinda original. Naming kids after crayons, celestial objects and the periodic table. Ok. That was then.

Now it's just plain old douchebag plagiarism. :lol:

Reality TV, religion give birth to top baby names

Reality TV is giving birth to some of the most popular baby names. No, not Snooki. But Mason, as in Kourtney Kardashian's son, jumped 10 spots to become the second most popular name for newborn boys in 2011.

The more traditional Sophia is the new top name for girls, while Jacob is No. 1 for boys for the 13th straight year, according to the list released Monday by the Social Security Administration.

Kardashian, the reality TV star, gave birth to Mason in December 2009 following a heavily publicized pregnancy. In 2010, Mason jumped from No. 34 to No. 12. Last year, 19,396 baby boys were named Mason, an increase of nearly 4,600, by far the biggest jump for any name.

"It shows what we're paying attention to, what we're thinking about," said Laura Wattenberg, creator of the website babynamewizard.com. "Today, you can't walk through a supermarket without learning more than you hoped to know about the Kardashian family. That's just reality."

Rounding out the top five for boys: William, Jayden and Noah. Michael came in sixth, the lowest ranking since 1948.
Isabella, which had been the top girl's name for two years, dropped to second place in 2011. Emma, Olivia and Ava rounded out the top five.

The Social Security Administration provides lists of baby names dating to 1880 on its website. The top two names that year were John and Mary. John is now No. 27 and Mary has fallen to No. 112 — the lowest for both names.

The list, which also includes top baby names by state, draws millions of viewers. The agency hopes that people go to the website to see the baby names and stay to learn about other services, said Social Security Commissioner Michael J. Astrue.

Top girl names tend to be more volatile — changing from year to year — while the top boy names are more stable, Astrue said. William, for example, has been a popular boy's name for more than 100 years, never falling out of the top 20. Mason is the exception, entering the top 100 for the first time in 1997.

On the girls' side, Sophia first cracked the top 100 in 1997. Isabella dropped off the list altogether from 1949 to 1990.
Social Security also tracks which names increase in popularity and which ones drop.

The fastest rising name for girls: Briella, which jumped 394 spots, to No. 497. Briella Calafiore stars in "Jerseylicious," a reality TV show about battling stylists at a beauty salon in Green Brook, N.J. She's also in a spinoff called "Glam Fairy."

more if you need it:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Those filthy peace hippies did it first I think. But they were kinda original. Naming kids after crayons, celestial objects and the periodic table. Ok. That was then.

Now it's just plain old douchebag plagiarism. :lol:

Reality TV is giving birth to some of the most popular baby names. No, not Snooki. But Mason, as in Kourtney Kardashian's son, jumped 10 spots to become the second most popular name for newborn boys in 2011.

The more traditional Sophia is the new top name for girls, while Jacob is No. 1 for boys for the 13th straight year, according to the list released Monday by the Social Security Administration.

Kardashian, the reality TV star, gave birth to Mason in December 2009 following a heavily publicized pregnancy. In 2010, Mason jumped from No. 34 to No. 12. Last year, 19,396 baby boys were named Mason, an increase of nearly 4,600, by far the biggest jump for any name.

"It shows what we're paying attention to, what we're thinking about," said Laura Wattenberg, creator of the website babynamewizard.com. "Today, you can't walk through a supermarket without learning more than you hoped to know about the Kardashian family. That's just reality."

Rounding out the top five for boys: William, Jayden and Noah. Michael came in sixth, the lowest ranking since 1948.
Isabella, which had been the top girl's name for two years, dropped to second place in 2011. Emma, Olivia and Ava rounded out the top five.

The Social Security Administration provides lists of baby names dating to 1880 on its website. The top two names that year were John and Mary. John is now No. 27 and Mary has fallen to No. 112 — the lowest for both names.

The list, which also includes top baby names by state, draws millions of viewers. The agency hopes that people go to the website to see the baby names and stay to learn about other services, said Social Security Commissioner Michael J. Astrue.

Top girl names tend to be more volatile — changing from year to year — while the top boy names are more stable, Astrue said. William, for example, has been a popular boy's name for more than 100 years, never falling out of the top 20. Mason is the exception, entering the top 100 for the first time in 1997.

On the girls' side, Sophia first cracked the top 100 in 1997. Isabella dropped off the list altogether from 1949 to 1990.
Social Security also tracks which names increase in popularity and which ones drop.

The fastest rising name for girls: Briella, which jumped 394 spots, to No. 497. Briella Calafiore stars in "Jerseylicious," a reality TV show about battling stylists at a beauty salon in Green Brook, N.J. She's also in a spinoff called "Glam Fairy."

more if you need it:

I've always preferred the common simple names like John, Bill, Tom and George. I also don't mind others that are common today, like Bibical names. What I hate are pretentious sounding names and names not given the common spelling. The poor kid has to spell his name his whole life.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In my day you would have been beaten up for having a name like Jayden

Our neice's son is named "Jaden".................stupid f**Kin' name but I keep my mouth shut..............:lol:

But on second thought years ago there were boys named, Beverly, Marion, Vivian and Shirley!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is. It's setting your kid up to be picked on. Any name that rhymes with "gay" is going to bring nothing but grief for that poor kid.

Thirty years ago it certainly would, but now it's probably considered rather vogue. Then there was the poor kid named Mike Hunt!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is. It's setting your kid up to be picked on. Any name that rhymes with "gay" is going to bring nothing but grief for that poor kid.

Upon giving it further thought, I have to at least partially disagree! What about the names May, James, Raymond?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think there are inevitably trends in sounds we like, and thus which baby names are popular. The whole Aiden Haiden Braiden Kaiden Jaiden phase is a great example. my son falls into the neighboring category with Evan. he nearly ended up a Nolan. mason fits the bill too, and reality show or not, great name!

say what you will about names that can be twisted to mean something, as a person who loves to roll words and meanings around in my head, there have only been two sets of parents who I wanted to slap for naming their kids certain things, and one name I loudly objected to for a niece. The two kids whose names I hate? Kale. And Bane. No, I'm not kidding. And the name I helped overturn for a niece....Brie. Seriously, who names their kids after vegetables or cheese?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think there are inevitably trends in sounds we like, and thus which baby names are popular. The whole Aiden Haiden Braiden Kaiden Jaiden phase is a great example. my son falls into the neighboring category with Evan. he nearly ended up a Nolan. mason fits the bill too, and reality show or not, great name!

say what you will about names that can be twisted to mean something, as a person who loves to roll words and meanings around in my head, there have only been two sets of parents who I wanted to slap for naming their kids certain things, and one name I loudly objected to for a niece. The two kids whose names I hate? Kale. And Bane. No, I'm not kidding. And the name I helped overturn for a niece....Brie. Seriously, who names their kids after vegetables or cheese?

Off Vancouver Island there is an island named Lasqueti Island, mainly inhabited by hippies. I worked with a guy who was born over there and his name was "Timber". I think possibly with so many kids named "Tree" at that time his parents decided to be a little more imaginative. In Grand Forks there is a very nice woman in her 30s named "Shimmer".

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Made up names have been used for centuries. It did NOT begin with the Hippies, they just did it wholesale. My ex-wife was originally named Linda Jean, she took on the name "Celestial Moonbeam" after she abandoned me and our daughters. My eldest looked for her birth mother in her early 20's, located her, and she and her sister spent one weekend with her.

My daughters still describe that as the "Scariest weekend of our lives". My eldest has done three tours in Iraq or Afghanistan as an Army Doctor. That must have been one very strange weekend!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
As a man named hermann high, I feel that the stranger a name is the better, although you have to be able to look someone in the eye and say it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have an odd'ish name as well, perhaps my lack of caring what people name their kids, short of 'cabbage' (Kale), 'affliction' (Bane), and 'soft moldy cheese' (Brie). I know plenty of moonbeams and starlights and the like...no stress, those things aren't awful.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think the biggest problem is odd names really but trendy names, because they get really dated.

I mean, you don't see a lot of Myrtles anymore do you? And how many Brittany's and Jessica's will be occupying old age homes in 50 years?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't think the biggest problem is odd names really but trendy names, because they get really dated.

I mean, you don't see a lot of Myrtles anymore do you? And how many Brittany's and Jessica's will be occupying old age homes in 50 years?

And Hortense and Percival have dropped down the list away too..............LOL

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I have to wonder how many "Trayvons" will be around in a few years.
Being a bit of a luddite, i had trouble with my step daughter bestowing on her boys names that began with a X, then pronounced it Z.
Me......why did you name him Exander? Her......no it is Zander......me.......you do not pronounce an X as Zee.........

Then came Xnox and i said, that should be a K.......:roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have to wonder how many "Trayvons" will be around in a few years.
Being a bit of a luddite, i had trouble with my step daughter bestowing on her boys names that began with a X, then pronounced it Z.
Me......why did you name him Exander? Her......no it is Zander......me.......you do not pronounce an X as Zee.........

Then came Xnox and i said, that should be a K.......:roll:

I can not think of anything much crueller to do to your own kid. My surname is not spelt the way it sounds, thank Christ its only five letters to repeat over and over ad infinitim.