Don't say 'obese'... you might upset fat people

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The word 'obese' should not be used when encouraging the public to lose weight as it may be 'derogatory', councils have been told.

Instead, anyone who is dangerously overweight should merely be urged to try to 'achieve a healthier weight', according to guidelines drawn up by the health watchdog NICE.

The guidance tells officials to ' carefully consider the type of language' they use when designing posters and leaflets.

Under a new Government strategy, councils – rather than NHS trusts – have been given the task of combating rising levels of obesity.

Ministers are giving town halls £ 5billion a year to tackle a range of public health issues, which also include binge-drinking, smoking and teenage pregnancies.

It is hoped this money will be spent on providing better sports facilities, more green space and on campaigns encouraging the public to be healthy.

The NICE guidance says council officials 'should carefully consider the type of language and media to use to communicate about obesity'.

It says: 'For example, it might be better to refer to a "healthier weight" rather than "obesity" – and to talk more generally about health and wellbeing or specific community issues.'

It added that certain language might be seen as 'derogatory'. Ironically, the advice is contained in a paper entitled Obesity: Working With Local Communities. Tam Fry, spokesman for the National Obesity Forum, said: 'They should be talking to people in an adult fashion.

'There should be no problem with using the proper terminology. If you beat around the bush then you confuse people.

'This is extremely patronising. Obesity is a well-defined, World Health Organisation standard that everybody can understand.'

Ministers have been accused of a 'cover-up of epic proportions' for refusing to publish documents detailing the dangers of the Coalition's NHS reforms.

The documents – drawn up by civil servants two years ago – outline the potential impact on patient care, staffing and cost to the NHS.

Health Secretary Andrew Lansley yesterday announced that he was refusing an order from the Information Commissioner to publish them, warning that doing so would deter civil servants from giving 'frank' advice in future.

Calling the move 'a cover-up of epic proportions', Shadow Health Secretary Andy Burnham said: 'All the warnings from doctors, nurses and patients about the dangers of his re-organisation were true and echoed in private by civil servants but the Prime Minister chose to ignore them.'

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've been doing a lot of work with the 'Weight Wise' program designed and applied here in Edmonton. And the researchers responsible, the people who administer it, all find that the term may be technically correct, but it makes people defensive and seems to inhibit the program.

Say what you will about what people ought to be able to hear, say what you will about 'political correctness', they find it frigs up their attempt to enact change. So, is it wrong to say 'hey, we need to find a different way to discuss this'?

Add to it the fact that research has proven, time and again, that a fit person is a fit person, no matter how much they weigh, and using the term 'obese' as what they're trying to change muddles the issue immensely. They don't want to make their populace 'less obese'.... they want to make them 'more healthy', and the two aren't always the same thing.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've been doing a lot of work with the 'Weight Wise' program designed and applied here in Edmonton. And the researchers responsible, the people who administer it, all find that the term may be technically correct, but it makes people defensive and seems to inhibit the program.

Say what you will about what people ought to be able to hear, say what you will about 'political correctness', they find it frigs up their attempt to enact change. So, is it wrong to say 'hey, we need to find a different way to discuss this'?
Makes sense. Either or, beats fatfuk hands down though.

I can't remember on which side you stood in the discussion on genocide, as applied to the First Nations Residential schools issue. But for the very same reasons you express here, is why I think using the term genocide, shuts down discussion.

Add to it the fact that research has proven, time and again, that a fit person is a fit person, no matter how much they weigh, and using the term 'obese' as what they're trying to change muddles the issue immensely. They don't want to make their populace 'less obese'.... they want to make them 'more healthy', and the two aren't always the same thing.
Amen to that sister!!!

From diet to daily exercise. Just because someone is fat, doesn't mean they're guaranteed to be a burden on the system, or just a fat lazy slob.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

That which I've bolded is the most important statement, in my opinion. I've never been an 'ideal' weight, but I've always been exceedingly healthy. And it burns me to know end when some people focus so heavily on the superficial outer shell without taking the time to think about what makes someone healthy.

Also, it's not the concept that is ever wrong with 'political correctness' or whatever you want to call it. PC is merely a means to try to make those who are too obtuse to utilize their empathy and basic consideration from being insulting little morons. It would be nice if they'd think of it themselves really, but I have no problem shaming a few of them into it. Lol.

Pretty much anything beats that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That which I've bolded is the most important statement, in my opinion. I've never been an 'ideal' weight, but I've always been exceedingly healthy. And it burns me to know end when some people focus so heavily on the superficial outer shell without taking the time to think about what makes someone healthy.

Also, it's not the concept that is ever wrong with 'political correctness' or whatever you want to call it. PC is merely a means to try to make those who are too obtuse to utilize their empathy and basic consideration from being insulting little morons. It would be nice if they'd think of it themselves really, but I have no problem shaming a few of them into it. Lol.

Pretty much anything beats that.

We live in a society that has become more judgmental - at a faster pace - and the pace appears to be quickening in my opinion. The old adage - Judging a book by its cover seems appropriate.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I can't remember on which side you stood in the discussion on genocide, as applied to the First Nations Residential schools issue. But for the very same reasons you express here, is why I think using the term genocide, shuts down discussion.

I'm right along side you on that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

If I recall correctly Karrie informed me that I was wrong of the opinion I held on Genocide and what the term meant as that very topic was brought into discussion - She called it by the numbers- It was a genocide.
I was wrong - She was right.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The most important thing is that you are not supposed to use a word to describe the thing that defines the word, because over time, people get offended by using words.

The end result is, of course, that we are not supposed to use words for anything.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The definition of obese is out of whack with reality. According to the book at 5-11 and 200 lbs I am obese. Far from it. Their idea of ideal weight is anorexic. They don't recognize the difference between fat weight and muscle weight.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The most important thing is that you are not supposed to use a word to describe the thing that defines the word, because over time, people get offended by using words.
Tell me about it. You've been upset with me for years because of words.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The definition of obese is out of whack with reality. According to the book at 5-11 and 200 lbs I am obese. Far from it. Their idea of ideal weight is anorexic. They don't recognize the difference between fat weight and muscle weight.

What reference are you using - I am 6 ft 1 - 210 and I am nowhere near obese- Now i do have a small pot - no not that pot - belly. Vitamin B- (Beer)

Guess being tall and damm good lookin helps though:smile:

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The definition of obese is out of whack with reality.

Well, it's more like people are out of whack with reality. Obesity is a medical term, excessive body fat. A doctor wouldn't look at a physically fit lean man or woman and call them obese just because their BMI is over 30. The body mass index doesn't actually say a thing about how much fat you have, it's only a relation of weight and height. But people are obsessed with weight, in an unhealthy manner. Diet pills? Quick fixes? Want to lose weight fast to fit into a dress? Drastic, and often not for the right reasons.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What reference are you using - I am 6 ft 1 - 210 and I am nowhere near obese- Now i do have a small pt - no not that pot - belly. Vitamin B- (Beer)

Guess being tall and damm good lookin helps though:smile:

I thought that I was gonna have to give you sh*t for posting my description without permission, but - hell, you're a decent guy, so I'll let it slide.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, it's more like people are out of whack with reality. Obesity is a medical term, excessive body fat. A doctor wouldn't look at a physically fit lean man or woman and call them obese just because their BMI is over 30. The body mass index doesn't actually say a thing about how much fat you have, it's only a relation of weight and height. But people are obsessed with weight, in an unhealthy manner. Diet pills? Quick fixes? Want to lose weight fast to fit into a dress? Drastic, and often not for the right reasons.

The only accurate test for BMI- Body Fat - is a water displacement test. I hvae known Soldiers - BMI 35 - Power Lifters.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Really good post... Goes far in illustrating the discord between societal expectations and a realistic/healthy circumstance

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I thought that I was gonna have to give you sh*t for posting my description without permission, but - hell, you're a decent guy, so I'll let it slide.

Well as you know being good looking can be a problem - To many women find you attractive and when in a relationship- well you know what I mean.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Well as you know being good looking can be a problem - To many women find you attractive and when in a relationship- well you know what I mean.

Sadly, I do... I don't think that most folks understand the discrimination that dogs people like us. Sure, people think that it's all sunshine and rainbows but, the unbridled attention and adoration has a real cost in terms of responsibility.

Think that there's any merit in starting up a support group on this?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sadly, I do... I don't think that most folks understand the discrimination that dogs people like us. Sure, people think that it's all sunshine and rainbows but, the unbridled attention and adoration has a real cost in terms of responsibility.

Think that there's any merit in starting up a support group on this?

Not sure if your family has this problem. In my family the men are all tall and good looking - Or they are just not tall. Does your expanded family line also sufferer from this?