Conrad Black to be released from prison this week

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Conrad Black to be released from prison this week

Former media mogul Conrad Black is expected to be released from prison this week in Miami, Fla.

The 67-year-old is serving a sentence for fraud and obstruction of justice related to his company, Hollinger.

Black's release date is Saturday, but he could be out Friday.

It's been a long legal road for Black, who's been in and out of prison for five years.

He was released on bail in July of 2010, but sent back in June 2011 to serve more of his sentence.

It's unclear if Black will be returning to Canada, as he gave up his citizenship when he was made a member of the British House of Lords in 2001.

Conrad Black to be released from prison this week - 680News

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
He wants to return to Canada - a foreign nation? Does he have any saleabe skills? Can he speak either official language? Will he bring underlings with him? Would he be called Mr. Black? Would he still shill for Conservatives?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
He wants to return to Canada - a foreign nation? Does he have any saleabe skills? Can he speak either official language? Will he bring underlings with him? Would he be called Mr. Black? Would he still shill for Conservatives?

Aren't people who served their time allowed to hold a political view?

Would you take away the right of rapists,murderers, terrorists and pedophiles to vote left? :)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Maybe he'll share the same flight as Omar Khadr... Which begs the question, does he have any salable skills other than being a grenade thrower extraordinaire?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The interesting question is, will Canada let him in?

He's not a citizen, and he has a criminal record. We're certainly not obligated to let him in.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You're putting Mr. Black in the same category as Omar Khadr? Interesting, but inaccurate.

Why not?

You had inquired about relevant issues related to language and possible contributions to society? I believe that the query was more than fair and applicable.

That said, how about it? Should Canada be more open to repatriating Conrad Black or the Omar Khadrs of the world?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
That question is not germane; Omar is still Canadian. Canadian citizenship must mean something, or why would Mr. Black wish to reside here?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
That question is not germane; Omar is still Canadian. Canadian citizenship must mean something, or why would Mr. Black wish to reside here?

Conrad can apply for citizenship at any time.. Perhaps we might consider him a political refugee and fast track his application.

Regardless, I am still interested in the base premise of the question that was posed. Do you feel Canada would benefit more from accepting the likes of Khadr or people like Black.

I wait with baited anticipation.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
You mean "baited question." Not relevant, sorry! It is not a matter of benefit; it is a matter of citizenship.

Why don't you start a new thread?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You're putting Mr. Black in the same category as Omar Khadr? Interesting, but inaccurate.

Who do you want him to share a category with? Martha Stewart? Both were very rich. Martha still is. I don't know about
Mr. Black.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You mean "baited question." Not relevant, sorry! It is not a matter of benefit; it is a matter of citizenship.

Why don't you start a new thread?

In the end, Black is simply the poster boy for a much larger issue, this being; What kind of society is it that we wish to promote in Canada? That said, I believe that this is the perfect venue to discuss the underlying principle here.

So, for your comfort, I will omit Khadr from the equation and focus exclusively on Black (as far as identifying a personality is concerned).

Despite Black's criminal past, do we (as Canadians) refuse him citizenship despite the potential benefits that he brings, and/or, do we focus our efforts on promoting individuals that may or may not bring any direct and immediate benefit to Canadian society?