Flexible school year calendar proposed for B.C.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Minister of Education has proposed a flexible calendar for B.C. schools, Susan "whatshername" of the B.C. Teachers Fed. bad mouths the proposal. I see definite benefits. Ability to close schools for a period during winter months, saving on heating and lighting costs, saving on snow removal costs, less travel to and from school under dangerous road conditions. With a 10 week vacation in the summer, kids tend to need more review in the fall to get back on track. It would also provide the opportunity for kid who enjoy winter sports, or being able to accompany their parents on winter trips to the sunshine such as Hawaii and Mexico. I think the ten weeks could reallocated to four weeks in July (to take advantage of the long summer days for camping etc. two weeks in October to take advantage of hunting season, two weeks in Dec. to tack on to Xmas vacation and two weeks in Feb. or March. I don't see many downsides so would be interested to hear some. :smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The Minister of Education has proposed a flexible calendar for B.C. schools, Susan "whatshername" of the B.C. Teachers Fed. bad mouths the proposal. I see definite benefits. Ability to close schools for a period during winter months, saving on heating and lighting costs, saving on snow removal costs, less travel to and from school under dangerous road conditions. With a 10 week vacation in the summer, kids tend to need more review in the fall to get back on track. It would also provide the opportunity for kid who enjoy winter sports, or being able to accompany their parents on winter trips to the sunshine such as Hawaii and Mexico. I think the ten weeks could reallocated to four weeks in July (to take advantage of the long summer days for camping etc. two weeks in October to take advantage of hunting season, two weeks in Dec. to tack on to Xmas vacation and two weeks in Feb. or March. I don't see many downsides so would be interested to hear some. :smile:

School vouchers could fix that too.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They experimented with this a number of years ago in the interior somewhere. Most loggers wanted to take off during breakup so they worked the school year around that. It will make it harder for kids to have summer jobs though. The teachers union thinks school should be permanently closed and their paycheques direct deposited in their offshore bank accounts.
That ot to make Liberalman happy since he believes teens should be hanging around in alleys smoking crack rather than being productive and learning life skills.

stusa

Apr 19, 2006
Just more time off for teachers and more money

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Just more time off for teachers and more money

And this leads to more time off how? You have completely missed the point. A more flexible school year is all about making more efficient use of educational resources and saving tax money. It would have zero impact on the amount of time most teachers spent in the classroom. Strange that there is any opposition to it from teachers. Most teachers I talked to when this was proposed in Alberta several years ago thought it was a great idea. Maybe the union leader is out of touch with her membership. That would not be the first time that has happened.