Immigration is a privilege, not a right

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Most agree with this of course. The govt considers a granting a driver's licence a privilege. So why is immigrating here considered some sort of right? By even non-Canadians outside the country? Let in 2 million Asians and Africans over the past 20 years, permit them to live in enclaves, and voila, powerful new "global" voting blocs show their electoral clout.

Cut immigration by 75% now.

Immigration is a privilege, not a right | Columnists | Opinion | Toronto Sun

Immigration is a privilege, not a right

Gurmukh Singh, Guest Columnist

First posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 06:34 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 06:37 PM EDT

Immigration, per se, is not a bad thing.

Many birth rate deficient western countries, including Canada, need newcomers each year.
But putting a fanatical emphasis on immigration quotas or numbers is a bad idea.

Delivering needed foreign skilled workers and professionals to industries and businesses is not a bad thing.
But making immigration policies hostage to politics is.

Canada’s immigration policies have become hostage to politics since the early 1980s, when immigrant numbers swelled and ethnic enclaves sprang up around major urban centres.

Wily politicians saw ready-made vote-banks in these ethnic enclaves and cleverly ramped up family-class immigration, as well as instituting various grants in the name of multiculturalism, to keep these vote-banks working.

Therein lies the rub. Once in place, vote-bank policies are very difficult to dismantle.

Today, any politician who tries to scale back family-class immigration, or any other category, faces a backlash from these vote-banks.
Worse, these flawed policies have engendered a deep sense of entitlement among some newcomers.

They won’t brook any tinkering with immigration categories that allow them to bring in their extended families and clans.
That’s nothing short of blackmailing the immigration system.

How absurd that the moment some people land here, they start complaining about disruption of their family life and demand they be reunited with their families quickly!

They think immigration to Canada is their birthright, not a privilege.

Now, will any politician turn around and honestly tell these people: Nobody forced you to come here, or promised a quick passage into Canada for the rest of your family?

But one can count upon the same politicians to play upon these perceived grievances during election times.
Remember how some candidates in immigrant-dominated ridings in the GTA raised the seniors’ issue for political gain during the last two general elections?

With everybody — from newcomers to lawyers’ groups — shoving the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in our faces at the slightest hint of changing the system, the task of dealing with immigration backlogs and plugging loopholes has become nothing short of a legal minefield for policy makers.

Even applicants with no connections to this country are feeling entitled to “rights and freedoms” under the Charter and are threatening Citizenship and Immigration Canada with legal action for delaying their cases or deleting their files!

Since stories of misuse of the immigration system by refugees, criminals, fraudsters, hijackers and murderers abound, the impression has gone around the world Canada is a doormat and one can force one’s way into this country.

Imagine an applicant (some time ago) threatening to take legal action against Canada for sleeping over his case for “too long”!
The outburst by another foreign applicant, as reported in the media recently, is in keeping with the way Canada is perceived as a “soft” destination by would-be immigrants.

Imagine this individual, a mere applicant with no connections with this country, postponing his family life, marriage and dreams because he was so sure of entry into Canada.

One wonders where in the world can any immigration applicant be one hundred percent sure of success?
Perhaps all those applying for Canadian immigration? At least up until now.

Recent steps by the government to tighten the system are to the good. This country is finally getting real about immigration.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I disagree with cutting immigration.

Immigration creates jobs and wealth. Canada should encourage people to immigrate to Canada, provided they have something to offer Canada. I'd support not allowing immigrants into Canada until they have Canadian recognized qualifications. ie Doctors can't immigrate to Canada as a doctor until after they have qualified to practice in Canada. Canada should have programs available abroad, which would allow interested professionals to get Canadian recognized qualifications.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I'm not for putting the cart before the horse.

Driving anywhere on a long weekend near a big city should make it clear enough to anyone that we don't have the infrastructure to support the 600 to a thousand immigrants we take in daily. Forget lowering greenhouse emissions while you're at it. They're all going to want, and have a right to, their own vehicles and fuel burning homes too. Good for business and economy, maybe, but most certainly not good for the environment - ecological, political, or otherwise.

What I do think everyone, including new citizens, have a right to, is to know exactly what this country's immigration policy is. I mean we are a planet of enemies, and shouldn't everyone have a right to know how many more of their enemies abroad will be coming here too, for them to live a strained peace with? But we don't know this, because we the people have never demanded it.

I find it rather puzzling that in a land built on immigration, immigration has never been an election issue, even if it may have been on the minds of the electorate, like myself, no federal election in Canada has ever been decided over an immigration issue! This is because the mainstream parties, i.e., the only ones with a shot at winning, have always colluded to make it a non-election issue. As with decriminalizing/legalizing marijuana, each party in turn says, "yeah, we'll consider that", rendering it a non-issue, and then when they win, what happens? They don't look at it! So too it is with immigration: they'll all say pre-election that they'll take measures with immigration, to make it a non-issue.

I think all Canadians need to know what the long-term immigration policy is. Is there even one, and if not, then why isn't there? Will immigration ever end? What should Canada's optimum population be? Just because we have the room in this country for a couple hundred million more people.... I mean, seriously, DO WE REALLY WANT TO HAVE A FEW HUNDRED MILLION MORE PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY???????????????????

Does the United States want us to have such a massive population on its borders? Surely, the more population we have, the more we'll have to militarize, the more dander is raised.

All I want to know is, is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Or is our immigration policy really to have no policy and just keep on immigrating people with no real plan 'til Kingdom Come? (which could be sooner than later by the looks of the way things are going)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If settling in blocks makes you paranoid you could show the new arrival on how to do things over here, the largest single block of a nationality should be no bigger than 1,000 families and then checkerboard the nations out from there. That would be the original warrior clans that took the land over a 100 year period (longer or shorter is allowed). They would be left as a block taking advantage of something that goes against the very things under discussion. No grouping by ancient ties for anybody except us.
What about forced immigration, say the reactor pools fall over and Japan has to be evacuated, move the people by force ASAP or delay, delay, delay until they are considered to be radioactive much like the children exposed at Chernobyl and the new-borns when the mother has been exposed to weapon grade nuclear particles and deny them entry on the valid grounds that they would contaminate the gene pool.

Can you force 100M people to move, could Canada be forced to accept 30M Japanese. Say the winds will make Canada and the US about the same as Japan at the mandatory evacuation level in 20 yrs and evacuation east or south would be required and the people in those areas resit that 'demand', are they justified or not?

I think Canada could absorb that many (30M) in just one big move and the not in one block thing would become moot until everything gets settled.
Like it or not that many workers will naturally come up with a way to feed themselves and still have time and energy to make and sell products better and cheaper than most anyplace else. Products the Chinese will be buying.

Does the United States want us to have such a massive population on its borders? Surely, the more population we have, the more we'll have to militarize, the more dander is raised.
WOW is all I can think of saying at this point. Can't make it any plainer than that that Canada does't get to tell it's balls what to do.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Immigration puts more money into the government trough

That depends on the productivity of the individual immigrating into the country. Economic immigrants that jump into the workforce contribute significantly through taxes and cash flow in the economy, however, there is another demographic that is not able to participate in the work force immediately (or ever) and consume funds via welfare, healthcare and other social services.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
That depends on the productivity of the individual immigrating into the country. Economic immigrants that jump into the workforce contribute significantly through taxes and cash flow in the economy, however, there is another demographic that is not able to participate in the work force immediately (or ever) and consume funds via welfare, healthcare and other social services.

Countries that have a high level of poverty for generations would be a burden but there are countries that have a good work ethics and business smarts.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Keep riding those Russian rockets.

You can look 'em up on your own time... Face facts Avro, basic logic dictates what I have stated... For the immigrant demographic that can not hit the ground running (due to age, illness, language issues, etc) - they are net consumers of social services/resources.

This isn't rocket science here

It ain't easy being green

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would bet professionals get a green light faster than somebody with a family and no specialization. If they are they are given the jobs that pay the least. If I am not mistaken they do get more opportunity from the Gov if they can submit a workable business plan and members in the same ethnic community are willing to give help in that area so there goes the need for a university education and the need to make the money to pay for that as part of your 'minimum wage'. University required to run a franchise but that means 1 job for every 1,000 that come out of university, all dressed up and no place to go.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I would bet professionals get a green light faster than somebody with a family and no specialization. If they are they are given the jobs that pay the least. If I am not mistaken they do get more opportunity from the Gov if they can submit a workable business plan and members in the same ethnic community are willing to give help in that area so there goes the need for a university education and the need to make the money to pay for that as part of your 'minimum wage'. University required to run a franchise but that means 1 job for every 1,000 that come out of university, all dressed up and no place to go.

Canada has no shortage of professionals. And since we can't force immigrants to work in rural areas, govt programs here are a waste.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Nothing quite says "humanity" like drawing an imaginary line in the earth and locking people in cages when they cross it without the correct pieces of dead tree. That's what really separates us from the animals: our stupidity.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Nothing quite says "humanity" like drawing an imaginary line in the earth and locking people in cages when they cross it without the correct pieces of dead tree. That's what really separates us from the animals: our stupidity.

Oh, to be part of wild nature, the noble wild life. Sure, just let people cross borders whenever, however.

Try to cross that imaginary line called the 49th parallel and you will make new friends real quick. And they speak the same language and seem just like us too. Politics is here to stay.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Canada has no shortage of professionals. And since we can't force immigrants to work in rural areas, govt programs here are a waste.

Define professionals. I know for a fact that we are seeing a shortage of trained tradesman, in ALL the trades, and it is only going to get worse as the population ages.

I hear complaints all the time about having to pay $100-$200 plus per hour for tradesman to do work on your vehicle or equipment in your homes. Wait till the last of the boomers retire and these tradesmen can write their own ticket because there is such a shortage.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Oh, to be part of wild nature, the noble wild life. Sure, just let people cross borders whenever, however.

Try to cross that imaginary line called the 49th parallel and you will make new friends real quick. And they speak the same language and seem just like us too. Politics is here to stay.

There are some countries where the people living there are truly welcoming. Canada, from which I have emigrated, is less and less one of those countries.