Virginia woman wins $1 million - twice in same lottery

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Virginia woman wins $1 million - twice in same lottery - Yahoo! News Canada

Virginia woman wins $1 million - twice in same lottery

Reuters) - A Virginia woman found out on April 7 she won $1 million in a lottery drawing. And then she won again.

Virginia Fike of Berryville, Virginia, had the good luck to buy not one but two lottery tickets from a truck stop that both turned out to be $1 million winners, matching five of the six Powerball numbers. Lottery officials presented her with a $2 million check on Friday.

Fike said she found out that she had won - and won again - while sitting in a hospital room with her mother, according to a statement distributed by the Virginia lottery.

"I saw a scroll on TV about there being two $1 million winners," she said. "I looked at my mom and said ‘Wouldn't it be funny if it was us?'"

She said she planned on using the money to "take care of my parents" and pay bills.

For selling the tickets, the lottery awarded a $20,000 bonus to the Olde Stone Truck Stop.

To win the full Powerball jackpot, which currently stands at $131 million, a ticket must match the numbers on all five white balls in the drawing, plus the red Powerball. The $1 million cash prize is awarded for a ticket that matches the five numbers on the white balls, in any order.

The odds of winning $1 million? One in 5,153,632.65.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
let the marriage proposals begin.;)

is it a lump sum or amortized?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I remember a local guy who was already VERY well off, a millionaire in a VERY WELL to do town won one of the big ones.

Ah well, if they play and win you got to pay up.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That is a good news day for someone I don't think that has happened before.

Oh yes it has, years ago a doctor in Chase won two or three jackpots, I'll bet after the first win he was probably buying scads of tickets! :smile:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I remember a local guy who was already VERY well off, a millionaire in a VERY WELL to do town won one of the big ones.

Ah well, if they play and win you got to pay up.

Now this is just my personal opinion, but I don't think that people that are already rich need to play in lotteries. It's not like they need the money or anything. That being said, regardless of how rich they are they purchased a ticket so they get the money since it is not against the rules.

As for winning the lottery twice at the same time? Wow! The odds are staggering against that happening!