Travis Vader charged with murder of missing McCanns

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Travis Vader charged with murder of missing McCanns
By QMI Agency

EDMONTON - Travis Vader has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder of a St. Albert, Alta., couple who mysteriously vanished in 2010.

Vader, 40, was charged over the weekend with the slayings of Lyle McCann and Marie McCann.

The elderly couple was reported missing by their family on July 10, 2010. They were last seen alive on July 3, 2010.

Vader was charged at the Edmonton Remand Centre where he is being held on unrelated charges. His first court appearance on the murder charges is set for May 15.

“Understandably, the public has many questions about what happened to the McCanns,” said Staff Sergeant Shawn LeMay, from RCMP K-Division in Edmonton.

“Those questions will be answered in court.”

Lyle McCann, 78, and Marie McCann, 72, were last seen fuelling their motorhome in their hometown of St. Albert, before heading on a camping trip through the Rocky Mountains. They were scheduled to meet their daughter in Abbotsford, B.C., a week later, but never made it.

Two days after they were last seen, their RV was found engulfed in flames near a campground east of Edson, Alta. The Tucson SUV they were towing was soon discovered nearby.

The couple has since been declared dead and presumed murdered, but their remains have yet to be found.

The RCMP continued to maintain that Vader was a suspect in the disappearance.

In December, Vader was handed a 33 1/2 -month sentence, deemed time-served based on pre-trial custody, after being convicted of a number of charges stemming from a crime spree west of Edmonton in December 2009.

Vader was given a reduced sentence after the judge ruled he was held for an extended period of time in segregation as a result of alleged threats and abuse stemming from his being a suspect in the McCanns’ disappearance.

Travis Vader charged with murder of missing McCanns - Crime - Canoe.ca

I hope taking almost two years to charge him means they have a rock solid case. I'm hopeful these folks can bury their parents remains.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unfortunate naming aside, I hope that, if guilty, he never sees the light of day.

I'd like to know what happened to this poor couple. :(

I'm sure their kids would too.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Unfortunate naming aside, I hope that, if guilty, he never sees the light of day.

I'd like to know what happened to this poor couple. :(

I'm sure their kids would too.

I'm no supporter of the death penalty, but events like this one sure do test me.

I was thinking with a name like Travis, he must be innocent.

I don't know.. Vader vs Travis?

I'm thinking that the force ain't so strong and by the sounds of it, ole Travis may have already gone to the dark side

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know it's ridiculous, I don't know this couple, I've only ever seen a picture of them. But they reminded me of my grandparents. I just can't imagine what kind of animal would hurt them like that.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
In a way, they're everyone's grandparents.. An older couple that set off to do some traveling and were (likely) minding their own business. Didn't do sh*t to no one, and apparently that earned them a shallow grave at the hands of some moron that can't think beyond their next fix or a few bucks.

Like I said, it sure makes me want to reconsider my position on capital punishment

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think situations that really pull at the heart strings will always test our resolve on that one.

I just really, really hope that the length of time they took to charge him means they really do have a great case against him.