Charges Finally Laid in Whistler Dog Killings

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I'm a little reluctant to post on this it's still a sensitive subject and with good reason.I note that the owner of the company funded the new the sled dog code of practice so in effect the company bought it's way out of trouble-no such luck for the poor stupid bastard who killed those animals-what a stinking mess!

Charges of mass slaughter laid in Whistler sled dogs case

Charges have been laid against Bob Fawcett, the former general manager of the Whistler-based Howling Dog Tours

Read more: Charges of mass slaughter laid in Whistler sled dogs case

VANCOUVER — A charge has been laid against Bob Fawcett, the former general manager of Whistler-based Howling Dog Tours, for causing unnecessary pain and suffering to sled dogs killed in a mass slaughter in April 2010.

Fawcett's first court appearance is scheduled for May 24 in Pemberton Provincial Court.

The charge approval is a huge step toward justice for the sled dogs, who lost their lives after demand for sled tours dropped following the 2010 Olympics, said Marcie Moriarty, general manager of cruelty investigations for the BC SPCA.

"We're very pleased the Crown has approved these charges," she said Friday.

"It was the largest and most complex, I would venture, animal cruelty case in Canada."

The investigation, which included a team of forensic investigators, cost more than $250,000 and resulted in a new sled dog code of practice, which was adopted two months ago, Moriarty said.

"It had far-reaching implications," she said of the investigation.

The organization is hoping the new provincial code of practice will serve as a model for treatment of working dogs across Canada, Moriarty said.

She doesn't expect any further charges to arise out of the incident, adding that animal cruelty charges can only be laid under the Criminal Code against the person who killed the dogs.

"It's always been legal to kill your animal," Moriarty explained. "It just has to be done humanely."

Details of the mass killing of sled dogs were leaked to media last year after Fawcett filed a successful claim with WorkSafeBC, saying the cull left him with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Fawcett also posted details on a PTSD website, describing how the panicked animals were shot or had their throats slit before being dumped in a mass grave. Fawcett said he was complying with an order from Whistler dog sled tour operator Outdoor Adventures to do a mass cull of the animals when demand for tours dropped after the 2010 Winter Olympics.

His disclosures sparked an investigation by the B.C. SPCA and resulted in the bodies of 54 dogs being exhumed from their graves near Whistler, using a team of veterinarians and forensic scientists.

"The incident drew international outrage, but at the time of the investigation some members of the public didn't understand why we had to go through the extensive process of exhuming the bodies when Bob Fawcett had already described his actions," Moriarty said.

"In order to move forward with criminal charges in the case, we had to produce clear evidence linking an individual to the crime as well as physical proof that the animals suffered unnecessarily, as outlined in the Criminal Code. Without that verification we could not present a case to Crown counsel."

Many of the forensic experts volunteered their expertise for the operation, Moriarty said.

The BC SPCA was also a key contributor to a B.C. government task force created last year to examine ways to ensure more humane treatment of sled dogs and to draft the sled dog code of practice, which was adopted in February this year.

The BC SPCA is planning a memorial for the slain dogs this summer.

"We have handled the remains of the dogs with the utmost respect and dignity and will be releasing details of the memorial soon," Moriarty said.

"By uncovering the truth, we have spoken out for these animals. We hope that they will finally be able to rest in peace."

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I know that the BC Sled Dog "Code" is pretty much just copied off the "M.U.S.H with Pride" Code and some mushers even question if it will even work. There's still uncertainty about it.

As for the case itself, I'm glad he was charged finally.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The charge approval is a huge step toward justice for the sled dogs

I know I will probably get a bashing for this but....

Can someone please tell me where in the constitution there is anything about rights and justice for animals? Really, we are talking about animals here not humans. In many countries dogs are a source of food like pork and beef. Where does this bleeding-heart BS stop. Will the next thing be humane treatment of lettuce and cabbage?

Also, just for some giggles, can someone explain why euthanasia is a HUMANe treatment for animals but not for HUMANS?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Can someone please tell me where in the constitution there is anything about rights and justice for animals? Really, we are talking about animals here not humans. In many countries dogs are a source of food like pork and beef. Where does this bleeding-heart BS stop. Will the next thing be humane treatment of lettuce and cabbage?

Also, just for some giggles, can someone explain why euthanasia is a HUMANe treatment for animals but not for HUMANS?

It's not in the Constitution but it is against the law to inhumanely "dispose" of animals. The thing with this case is - one of the things I've heard anyway - is that they tried to find homes for the dogs for a few months, including asking the SPCA to take them and when they were turned away, asking local vets to put them down but were refused. There were no homes for the dogs to go to, so that's when it was decided to do the job themselves. Whether this is true or not, who knows.

While dogs are considered a source of food in other countries, it's not so here. Dogs are companions, friends and family. There's a huge difference between a dog and "lettuce and cabbage" and honestly if you don't know that then, well, I can't help you.

IMO, the euthanasia should be available to people; if a patient is terminal and in pain, they should be "allowed" the choice to end their lives.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
....one of the things I've heard anyway - is that they tried to find homes for the dogs for a few months, including asking the SPCA to take them and when they were turned away, asking local vets to put them down but were refused. There were no homes for the dogs to go to, so that's when it was decided to do the job themselves. Whether this is true or not, who knows.
What I heard is that the company surmised there would be no homes for such snarling brutes-IOW they didn't bother trying to find homes at all.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
What I heard is that the company surmised there would be no homes for such snarling brutes-IOW they didn't bother trying to find homes at all.
The link I posted is the face book page of a girl who would have taken them,she just rescued another 3 this weekend from Calgary.So if anyone knows of any dogs being abused she is the one to talk to,she is very well networked.She also does this all with only donations,her place is calledMisty mountain husky Rescue Retirement Ranch . and is located in Kimberly BC

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Not aware that Cruelty to Animals legislation falls within the Charter - but there IS law ... and morality. Putting an animal down is one thing. Putting it down for convenience sake is another.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

If all of our laws and other legal needs were covered by the constitution we wouldnt need a criminal code or parliament for that matter. You dont change the constitution every time you add or change a law on the books.

Yes, dogs are used as sources of food in other countries, not here. Well, not normally anyway. I do find people who differentiate between pigs and dogs on the food question a little odd but thats the way it goes here.

As for the euthanasia question Im all for voluntary euthanasia of humans. Im hoping its legal if/when Im in a position where this option might be desirable.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Not aware that Cruelty to Animals legislation falls within the Charter - but there IS law ... and morality. Putting an animal down is one thing. Putting it down for convenience sake is another.

Some of you seem to be missing the point of my first post. Yes there is legislation but legislation is nothing more than some power-hungry morons telling the rest of the people how to live their lives (that is a complete other topic though). Legislating morality is always a big epic fail because nobody has the exact same level of morality as somebody else and we then get into big issues of whose morality is right because everyone thinks it is theirs. Many wars have been fought and millions died because of people trying to impose their own morality on others.

Now I actually have a big problem with giving animals rights, especially rights that trump a human's rights. I am not saying it is ok to torture your cat but really it is a cat not a human and therefore not entitled to be treated as equal to or better than a human. Having somebody sent to jail for a long time for killing an animal is a horrible precedent that can and will be used for stupid and frivolous prosecution and persecution.

Think about a hunter taking a deer only to wound it and then be unable to track it. That deer will probably die hours or days later in an 'inhumane' way. Do we now prosecute the hunter?

Is anyone familiar with cow-killers? They are large sledgehammers with a pointed end used to hit a cow on the head during slaughter. Not a very humane method when you consider it can often take more than 1 hit but it is the cheapest method and we all like a good steak so I guess it is overlooked in the name of yummy dinners. Maybe all the cattle slaughter houses will be in court soon.

Does anyone have experience with a chicken processing plant? The live birds are hung upside down and have their heads dragged through electrified fluid to stun them so the can have a nerve cut that releases the feathers. This method of plucking won't work when the bird is dead so they are kept alive through the process. Tantamount to torture but hey a nice roast chicken makes it ok right? I won't even go into the conditions the birds are kept in on a chicken ranch which is usually far from humane treatment. I have to assume all of you that believe animals should have the right to human treatment will stop eating chicken.

How about lobster and crab being boiled alive all over the country/planet. Should we not be arresting chefs everywhere and jailing them or is it only the furry creatures your kids like to pet and cuddle that matter?

You see these groups like the spca and peta pick and choose certain domesticated animals that are pets and pull heart strings to try to impose their own morality upon others and plan their actions over a big steak dinner without a thought of how that food made it to the table. There are so many hypocrites on this issue I can't even laugh at it.

And just for those that want to call the killing of a dog or cat (or any other animal) murder please take note of the definition of murder in the CCC....

Culpable homicide is defined as causing the death of a human being,
By means of an unlawful act;
By criminal negligence;
By causing that human being, by threats or fear of violence or by deception, to do anything that causes his death; or
By wilfully frightening that human being, in the case of a child or sick person.[1]

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You were making a point?

If a person is that cold that he/she can, without feeling, execute animals, would you want him/her walking behind you with a loaded weapon?

Don't get me wrong. I have put the occasional animal out of its misery - and would not like to see that legislated against (especially where the critter has to suffer for hours waiting on the vet with the dope) What I would like to see is idiots with guns and sharp objects kept away from anything that bleeds and really doesn't want to die.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You were making a point?

If a person is that cold that he/she can, without feeling, execute animals, would you want him/her walking behind you with a loaded weapon?

Do you shed a tear for every cow, chicken , pig and fish you eat? I doubt it! You probably suck back that salmon steak without a thought. Pretty cold and unfeeling to do that. I guess we should make sure you don't own a gun or walk behind anyone!!!

What I am getting at is that it is futile to legislate morality and that animals in no way deserve HUMAN rights.