Wildrose Leader Says No More Money For Quebec.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Wildrose Leader Says No More Money For Quebec.

Alberta's potshots at Quebec are off target

"Will Albertans stand up to Quebec? Wildrose Party leader Danielle Smith, for one, intends to do just that."

"A complaint about the unfairness of having to pay for Quebec's luxury social programs - $7-a-day daycare, more medical coverage and low-cost tuition - is written right into the Wildrose platform."

The Wildrose reminds me of federal Conservatives tough stand on Quebec at the time of the merger with the PCs where they refused to set up a table for the Quebec delegates and had to read the riot act before they would get the table.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
At least Quebecers who have an issue with the rest of Canada have a plan to make it happen. If you're not happy with Canada, separate.

Now, I'm not necessarily in favour of transfer payments,. but merely saying rather than complain about something, show some leadership and propose a solution instead.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
At least Quebecers who have an issue with the rest of Canada have a plan to make it happen. If you're not happy with Canada, separate.

Now, I'm not necessarily in favour of transfer payments,. but merely saying rather than complain about something, show some leadership and propose a solution instead.

Be careful what you wish for...

Past Alberta gov'ts, since the antagonistic days of the Chretien dictatorship havelaid the foundations for Alberta to do just that. Its not that Albertans want to seperate but at the height of Chretien's power, with his constant assaults on the constitutional perogatives and values of the province, there was fear that seperation was becoming not only viable but it might be the only option open to a populace that wanted some control over their own province. If things would turn bad between Alberta and the Feds/the other provinces, Alberta could be gone faster than Quebec sovereigntists change their underwear. But to reiterate, thats not really what Alberta wants: we want respect and fairness in our dealings with the feds/provinces.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Be careful what you wish for...

Past Alberta gov'ts, since the antagonistic days of the Chretien dictatorship havelaid the foundations for Alberta to do just that. Its not that Albertans want to seperate but at the height of Chretien's power, with his constant assaults on the constitutional perogatives and values of the province, there was fear that seperation was becoming not only viable but it might be the only option open to a populace that wanted some control over their own province. If things would turn bad between Alberta and the Feds/the other provinces, Alberta could be gone faster than Quebec sovereigntists change their underwear. But to reiterate, thats not really what Alberta wants: we want respect and fairness in our dealings with the feds/provinces.

I can understand that. But rather than complain, how about she present a strategy on how she intends to do it.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
So instead of bashing Quebec, how about she present her solution as to how she'll put an end to these transfers.

Why? The real issue is why does Quebec need Alberta money to pay for their lavish programs? The response from Quebecers is "Alberta can raise taxes and have the same as us" but thats not an acceptable answer. Why doesn't Quebec just raise its own taxes further to pay for these luxuries if they are so important to the populace? Albertans don't want the programs and don't want higher taxes.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Harper's gonna have his hands full if Wildrose win.

Let the party begin!

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
There is absolutely No reason why a "Plan" needs to be formulated to stop transfer payments. If a province wishes to provide for it's residents, let that province carry the costs themselves. That is quite simple.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
There is absolutely No reason why a "Plan" needs to be formulated to stop transfer payments. If a province wishes to provide for it's residents, let that province carry the costs themselves. That is quite simple.

One could then argue that the rest of the country should not receive any economic benefit produced by that province.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why? The real issue is why does Quebec need Alberta money to pay for their lavish programs? The response from Quebecers is "Alberta can raise taxes and have the same as us" but thats not an acceptable answer. Why doesn't Quebec just raise its own taxes further to pay for these luxuries if they are so important to the populace? Albertans don't want the programs and don't want higher taxes.

So propose a solution. She complained about the transfer payments, but has she presented a practical strategy to put an end to them? Do you want a whiner as leader, or someone who can actually propose a solution?

So she can propose that as leader she intends to renegotiate transfer payments. And if that fails, a plan B like an Alberta sovereignty referendum, or some other idea on how she intends to end thhose transfers. They won't end just because she says so. So yes, some kind of plan is needed.

Unless of course she was merely expressing an opinion. If that's the case though, then you can't consider that part of any platform but merely a personal opinion.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
So she can propose that as leader she intends to renegotiate transfer payments. And if that fails, a plan B like an Alberta sovereignty referendum, or some other idea on how she intends to end thhose transfers. They won't end just because she says so. So yes, some kind of plan is needed.

Everything is negotiable Machjo... How it would roll-out is a detail, but if it came down to it, perhaps the solution might incorporate a step in the process where AB citizens remit all their taxes to the AB gvt and the AB gvt then claws-back the federal contribution.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Everything is negotiable Machjo... How it would roll-out is a detail, but if it came down to it, perhaps the solution might incorporate a step in the process where AB citizens remit all their taxes to the AB gvt and the AB gvt then claws-back the federal contribution.

Economically, everything hinges on whether or not resources in one area of the country should be used to help benefit the rest of the country and to what degree.

This is where Canadians can take a stand, and the federal government would respond appropriately.

And something tells me most non-Albertans don't give a **** what Albertans think.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One could then argue that the rest of the country should not receive any economic benefit produced by that province.

Thing is all of CANADA enjoys a huge economic boost from Alberta's resources. Ontario and Quebec have been stealing from the west for about 150 years so they think it is a right.

Economically, everything hinges on whether or not resources in one area of the country should be used to help benefit the rest of the country and to what degree.

This is where Canadians can take a stand, and the federal government would respond appropriately.

And something tells me most non-Albertans don't give a **** what Albertans think.

The freeloaders don't anyway.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Thing is all of CANADA enjoys a huge economic boost from Alberta's resources. Ontario and Quebec have been stealing from the west for about 150 years so they think it is a right.

Whatever the transfers of resources have been - and whether you like them or not - they have been determined federally because these provinces exist in a country which determines how to benefit itself as a whole.

The freeloaders don't anyway.

Alberta should call a referendum then - but they don't have the guts.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Just resources?.. How about a special mfg-industry component?

Canadians should take a stand on the entire equalization program. You being from Ontario should be especially sensitive to this considering the billions that were transferred from Ontario over the years.

That's a 2-way street and presuming that Smith actually has a plan that will fly, I suppose that Albertans won't give a rat's ass what the fallout will be either.

Alberta should call a referendum then - but they don't have the guts.

That call is probably a lot closer than you think

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Canadians should take a stand on the entire equalization program. You being from Ontario should be especially sensitive to this considering the billions that were transferred from Ontario over the years.

Depends on why it was given out. To whom. Whether they needed the money, and whether or not we have enough to give out in the first place.

I'm sure equalization could be fairer, like in Australia.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Depends on why it was given out. To whom. Whether they needed the money, and whether or not we have enough to give out in the first place.

Why don't we look at the issue this way.... Of those provinces that have been chronically on the receiving end for years; why don't we ask what they have done with the monies or how they might have looked into achieving some way to eliminate the dependence via economic growth planning.

The problem is that providing a carte blanche program of injecting money into a system where there is no real plan or directed use of funds results in that contribution being absorbed into the revenue streams that simply elevates the gvt services to a point that is even less sustainable than before.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Equalization in Canada is Fukd - Quebc recieves approx 40 % plus - When Ont was a have prov - those that recieved equalization funds also had more teachers, doctors etc per cap than Ontario.

As to Albertans not having the guts - I would not bet the country on that statement. Alberta under their premiers along with the other have provinces have stated that equalization has to change. If it does not, well 3 of the have provinces are Sask - AB and BC - One goes I would say all would go.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Go Wild Rose!!!!!