Kingston Pen to close

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Kingston Pen to close
By Kristy Kirkup, Parliamentary Bureau

OTTAWA - The government will close both the infamous Kingston Penitentiary, home to some of Canada's most notorious criminals including Paul Bernardo and Russell Williams, and the medium-security Leclerc Institution in Laval, Que.

At a press conference Thursday, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said the prisons were too old to be in service any longer - their crumbling infrastructure and antiquated designs actually pose safety challenges for correctional service workers.

"Institutions built in the 19th century are not appropriate for managing a 21st century system," Toews told reporters.

The Kingston Pen opened in 1835. It currently houses 346 offenders, according to Correctional Service Canada's website.

Most of the inmates at the institution are serving life sentences. They will be moved to other maximum security prisons, Toews assured, adding that the influx of federal inmates expected after the Tories stepped up its efforts to get tougher on crime have not come to pass.

The closures are expected to save the government $120 million a year, and will impact 465 employees.

Kingston Pen to close - Crime - Canoe.ca

Wonder where they're going to ship Bernardo & Williams.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Funny. There is less crime happening according to real documented statistics so Harpo whips up the blind right into supporting getting tough on crime and low and behold there just isn't any more crime than there was before to get tough on. I guess this proves it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Funny. There is less crime happening according to real documented statistics so Harpo whips up the blind right into supporting getting tough on crime and low and behold there just isn't any more crime than there was before to get tough on. I guess this proves it.

The reports of unreported crime were alarming after all. ;)

I think it's just weird that it's going to be closed. It's been there forever.