B.C. Supreme Court Justice Strikes Down Section Of Medical Marijuana Law

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

B.C. Supreme Court justice strikes down section of medical marijuana law

"People authorized to use medical marijuana can bake it in brownies and drink it in their tea, not just smoke it in dried form, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled Friday."

"Justice Robert Johnston concluded that the restriction to dried marijuana in the Health Canada’s Marijuana Medical Access Regulations is unconstitutional as it breaches Section 7 of the Charter of Rights."

Brownies and tea may save Canada's economy.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I think people who are engaged in the medical use of weed should not live in fear of spending life in Harper's Gitmo North.

Unless it's fully legalized, perhaps non medical use should be a misdemeanor rather than an indictable offense.

Fully legalize ?? Haven't done enough research for an informed opinion, but a lot of scientists have, and they seem to think it's ok. And then there's the Jesus Bots who don't.

Whatever......................

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

B.C. Supreme Court justice strikes down section of medical marijuana law

"People authorized to use medical marijuana can bake it in brownies and drink it in their tea, not just smoke it in dried form, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled Friday."

"Justice Robert Johnston concluded that the restriction to dried marijuana in the Health Canada’s Marijuana Medical Access Regulations is unconstitutional as it breaches Section 7 of the Charter of Rights."

Brownies and tea may save Canada's economy.

What do you think?

About time. All our regressive drug laws do is create criminals where there is no criminal intent.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Medical marijuana is not very potent and is only designed to maintain illness and sooth pain but in its more powerful state, hash oli, it can cure many diseases, including most cancers. Pot should be legal to grow for personal use and to used in any form people need to deal with their illness.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think people who are engaged in the medical use of weed should not live in fear of spending life in Harper's Gitmo North.

Unless it's fully legalized, perhaps non medical use should be a misdemeanor rather than an indictable offense.

Fully legalize ?? Haven't done enough research for an informed opinion, but a lot of scientists have, and they seem to think it's ok. And then there's the Jesus Bots who don't.

I've been researching it for about 40 years. Haven't found a problem yet .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Medical marijuana is not very potent and is only designed to maintain illness and sooth pain but in its more powerful state, hash oli, it can cure many diseases, including most cancers. Pot should be legal to grow for personal use and to used in any form people need to deal with their illness.

Having a friend that uses medical MJ, I know you are right about the potency, Cliffy.......one reason that I am against the Feds getting involved in any sort of distribution, growing, etc.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

What you talking about Willis?

Harpo's Gitmo North? The BC Supreme Court answers to Harper?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

You have any reputable links to support these claims? I am in favour of legalizing pot to be like alcohol but lets not make it out to be a wonder drug just so some of us can get stoned more easily.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's about time somewhat poked the balloon of 'medical' marijuana. Marijuana 'smoke' is filled with carcinogens and tars There are something like 60 elements in marijuana smoke that have never been fully identified and studied as to their toxic potential.

If the active ingredient in Marijuana, TLC, does have a therapeutic use .. let it be studied, in formal, blind medical testing processes (the few that have been conducted have shown it to have little to none).. and then synthesized into a safer form of ingestion.. in a pill or injection... not brownies, not tea, not smoke.. but real medical appliances. But the Medical Marijuana lobby wants nothing to do with real science.. because all of this is about getting stoned.

This is another example of an out of control judiciary, imposing laws on the country through contrived and artificial Charter applications, in areas in which they have no competence. In fact it'd be hard to find a more convoluted lot of intellectual and moral mediocrities than inhabit the Canadian Bench.. going right up to our pathetic Chief Justice.. Beverly McLaughlin.. a frustrated 60's era feminist ideologue.

The Charter of Rights has been a monumental failure.. in terms of Trudeau's vision of it. It has created a judicial tyranny. In fact a Charter, as anything but a statement of principles, is an anathema to a Parliamentary system.. which does not contain the checks and balances implicit with an American style Federal system.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's about time somewhat poked the balloon of 'medical' marijuana. Marijuana
'smoke' is filled with carcinogens and tars There are something like 60 elements
in marijuana smoke that have never been fully identified and studied as to their
toxic potential.
Who says you've gotta smoke it?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Who says you've gotta smoke it?

Smoking is integral to marijuana culture. If people buy it to bake into brownies, they're still going to smoke it. The point is that marijuana has absolutely NEGLIGIBLE therapeutic value. If it did, people would be willing to take it in pill or injected form. 'Medical marijuana' simply does not exist. It's whole reputation is based on subjective opinion. It has nothing to do with science. And as with chewing tobacco, things that are bad for you in smoke form, tend to be bad for you with oral ingestion as well. But nobody knows.. nobody, especially the marijuana industry, is interested in testing it. That defeats the purpose of the pothead nation.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Smoking is integral to marijuana culture. If people buy it to bake into brownies, they're still going to smoke it. The point is that marijuana has absolutely NEGLIGIBLE therapeutic value. If it did, people would be willing to take it in pill or injected form. 'Medical marijuana' simply does not exist. It's whole reputation is based on subjective opinion and . It has nothing to do with science. And as with chewing tobacco, things that are bad for you in smoke form, tend to be bad for you with oral ingestion as well. But nobody knows.. nobody, especially the marijuana industry, is interested in testing it. That defeats the purpose of the pothead nation.
As usual, you are talking without a clue. I have not smoked pot since the seventies, but I have used it in various forms for chronic pain and as a muscle relaxant, to aid in healing from a cold and pneumonia. Watch the film about cancer cure and see the studies have been done in university labs. No one has been ever harmed by the use of pot. The biggest nay sayers are those who have been conditioned to fear their own shadows.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
As usual, you are talking without a clue. I have not smoked pot since the seventies, but I have used it in various forms for chronic pain and as a muscle relaxant, to aid in healing from a cold and pneumonia. Watch the film about cancer cure and see the studies have been done in university labs. No one has been ever harmed by the use of pot. The biggest nay sayers are those who have been conditioned to fear their own shadows.

I too grew up in the 60s and 70s too, Cliffy, and smoked my last joint when i was about 25. For a year or two prior to prior to that i was constantly stoned, to the point that i was developing serious paranoia, depression and psychosis.. something i never got from alcohol, which i similarly over did for a time. I still enjoy a few drinks on occasion, i wouldn't touch a joint these days with 10 foot pole.

All my friends of that period, quit about the same time i did, because it was impossible to go into work, or study, or get yourself sufficiently together to go out for an night on the town. or do just about anything if you were habitually using pot, much less develop a social, professional and family life. Those that didn't quit ended up getting into much harder stuff, or just dropping out into some subsistence and transient lifestyle.. and were searching for a psychological crutch, not a recreational escape.

The nature of the drug is such that you won't JUST be blissed out, not for long anyway.. you will end up having a great deal of difficulty relating to people, getting things done, developing a career, forming a family.. and there are increasingly negative psychological effects to heavy use. That's not just my experience, it was a widely held view in my circle.. which was, i think, a sophisticated, well educated and open minded group.

The psychotic effects of heavy marijuana use have been theorized and studied for some time. The paranoia and depression are well vetted as well. Marijuana is a mind addling drug that drives the heavy user into extreme introversion, to the point of severe social avoidance.. and to disinterest, a lack of concentration, a lack of dynamism or engagement on professional or familial matters.

My original point was that if the active ingredient of marijuana is truly therapeutic, then isolate it and test it under rigorous objective medical protocols.. clearly defining its negative consequences as well. Define dosages, methods of administrations, guarantees of consistency, potency and quality.. as well as a methodology of weaning the patient off a course of doping.. as exist with all other medicines.

The marijuana industry throws up it hands its disgust at the prospect. And they do because they know, from what tests have been done, that the outcome will show TLC has MINIMAL therapeutic value. Because they have zilch in terms of evidence except opinion and a kind of cultural mystique to offer. But that is the basis now of a multi billion dollar industry. And that industry.. is all about getting stoned. And i've stated the fact is that marijuana is a drug that in heavy and habitual use, will cause far more harm than the minimal and unproven 'good' its given credit for.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's about time somewhat poked the balloon of 'medical' marijuana. Marijuana 'smoke' is filled with carcinogens and tars There are something like 60 elements in marijuana smoke that have never been fully identified and studied as to their toxic potential.

If the active ingredient in Marijuana, TLC, does have a therapeutic use .. let it be studied, in formal, blind medical testing processes (the few that have been conducted have shown it to have little to none).. and then synthesized into a safer form of ingestion.. in a pill or injection... not brownies, not tea, not smoke.. but real medical appliances. But the Medical Marijuana lobby wants nothing to do with real science.. because all of this is about getting stoned.

This is another example of an out of control judiciary, imposing laws on the country through contrived and artificial Charter applications, in areas in which they have no competence. In fact it'd be hard to find a more convoluted lot of intellectual and moral mediocrities than inhabit the Canadian Bench.. going right up to our pathetic Chief Justice.. Beverly McLaughlin.. a frustrated 60's era feminist ideologue.

The Charter of Rights has been a monumental failure.. in terms of Trudeau's vision of it. It has created a judicial tyranny. In fact a Charter, as anything but a statement of principles, is an anathema to a Parliamentary system.. which does not contain the checks and balances implicit with an American style Federal system.

HOW MANY MARTINIS did you drink to invent that claptrap? There are other ways of using pot than smoking.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Smoking is integral to marijuana culture.
That's malarky. Get with the times. A vapourizer is the standard for those who truly use medically. You can even get a tax credit for buying one it's like any other piece of medical gear required for treatment. Even the cannabis you buy can be claimed for a tax credit.