BC Liquor Store Union BCGEU is Braindead

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The BCGEU is braindead because the union doesn't encourage cold beer sales. Then, in liquor stores, guys like me could buy the cheapest, coldest beer in the province from a govt liquor store. Right now, only privately owned liquor stores sell cold beer-which costs more, not the BC govt liquor stores who sell the more expensive warm beer. They could undercut the private liquor stores by selling cod beer at the cheapest price and make privatisation a non-issue in the province.

It won't happen because unions, especially dumb working class unions like the BCGEU, live with their head up their backside and can't see the big picture. They win the Darwin Awards.

Private Victoria liquor stores charge up to 35% more | National Union of Public and General Employees

Private Victoria liquor stores charge up to 35% more

BCGEU survey finds 93% of all private store prices higher than government-run stores. None were lower.

Victoria (6 May 2009) - Evidence continues to mount across Canada that private liquor retailers are gouging consumers and providing inferior service compared to government-run stores.
A survey of 17 private liquor stores in Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, shows that prices at private outlets are up to 35% higher than those charged at government stores.

Conducted by the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union (BCGEU/NUPGE), the survey compared prices for six of the most common popular products.

Overall, 93% of all prices surveyed in private outlets were higher than Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) retail prices. None were lower.

BCGEU president Darryl Walker says the results are surprising given the taxpayer-financed advantages that the province's Liberal government gives to private retailers.

"The Campbell government gives private operators a generous 16% discount when they purchase their stock from the government's Liquor Distribution Branch," says Walker.

"Yet, private store prices remain excessively high. Clearly, in challenging economic times, public liquor stores offer the lowest prices by far and the best value for consumers."

No private bargains

A total of 102 price comparisons were made in the survey (six products at 17 separate private stores):
  • 95 prices (93% of all surveyed) were higher than the LDB price.
  • 19 prices were greater than 25% above the LDB price.
  • 40 prices were 15-25% higher.
  • 5 prices were comparable to the LDB retail price.
  • 0 were less than the LDB price.
"It also appears that some private liquor outlets jack their prices even higher (10-15%) during the hours when a nearby public liquor store is closed," the BCGEU says.

On average, private stores charged 16% more for a 750 ml bottle of Smirnoff vodka, almost 13% more for a bottle of Bacardi rum, and nearly 14% more for Crown Royal rye.

Even higher average prices were levied by private stores on surveyed wines and beer.
Prices were close to 20% higher for Yellow Tail Shiraz, almost 19% higher for Yellow Tail Chardonnay, and nearly 15% more for a 12-pack of Budweiser cans.

The survey took place April 27-28, 2009 and reviewed regular retail prices only. The findings do not reflect any limited time/quantity sale pricing. Results can be downloaded at

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Doesn't the 'management' make the decisions in a business not the union? Or are you guys in BC gone so far commie that the inmates are running the asylum?
In Ontario the Gov. liquor store are union and it makes money hand over fist for the treasury. Oh ya. They have cold beer at the same price as everywhere else as the price of booze is set by said Gov.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
You want cheap cold beer? Petition them to sell it in grocery stores. That's always the biggest thing I notice when I come back to Canada. I walk into a grocery store, expecting to be able to buy beer or wine, and then I recall...

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I agree with Niflmir. Even in backward Kentucky, which has a LOT of "Blue Laws", you can purchase Beer at virtually any market in the "wet" towns and counties. It is FAR cheaper than any government outlet that I have ever seen.

As to the "Union Survey", I would find any "survey" done by a Union to be suspect. Of course it is going to support their point of view. If it didn't, it would undermine their very existence. You can bet that "survey" was a skewed as a zigzag road!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The system seems quite straight forward to me, ya want warm beer ya buy it at the Gov't store at a cheaper price, ya want cold beer ya buy it where it's sold and don't bitch about paying the price to cool it. Cooling can be VERY expensive in a unit where the door is open half the time. :lol:

I also forgot to point out that cooling beer in an insulated box is a further expense.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As usual anything out of a union leaders mouth is highly cherry picked. The 16% "discount he speaks of is not really a discount but more of a wholesale price. But one should never let truth interfere with good propaganda.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's not rocket appliances to make your own beer, mead, wine and hardcore hooch. If you want to know how, just ask.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As usual anything out of a union leaders mouth is highly cherry picked. The 16% "discount he speaks of is not really a discount but more of a wholesale price. But one should never let truth interfere with good propaganda.

Looks like the only way I can give a "thumbs up" :lol:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Doesn't the 'management' make the decisions in a business not the union? Or are you guys in BC gone so far commie that the inmates are running the asylum?
In Ontario the Gov. liquor store are union and it makes money hand over fist for the treasury. Oh ya. They have cold beer at the same price as everywhere else as the price of booze is set by said Gov.

Yeah, in Ontario they do it, but they can't in BC. We're getting braindeader in BC by the day. The union has to make noise about this, it has support. In BC, the inmates already run the asylum, don't worry.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
yup...poor dumpy all upset cause he can't get cold cheap beer right away so he can knock back a couple on his drive to work and home.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yup...poor dumpy all upset cause he can't get cold cheap beer right away so he can knock back a couple on his drive to work and home.

Good one Ger, but I sincerely hope that's not the case. (pun not intended)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Good one Ger, but I sincerely hope that's not the case. (pun not intended)

I, personally, could not understand the "need" to buy cold beer. You buy warm, take it home and throw it in the fridge, or if you're going camping, throw it in the ice cooler. It's not like it's a can of pop that you can chug back as you sit behind the wheel.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I, personally, could not understand the "need" to buy cold beer. You buy warm, take it home and throw it in the fridge, or if you're going camping, throw it in the ice cooler. It's not like it's a can of pop that you can chug back as you sit behind the wheel.

I hear you, perhaps too much obsession over booze these days, mind you not to be hypocritical I went through that stage myself, now, enjoy coffee just as much! :smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I personally can't understand the necessity to consume alcohol, just to have a good time.