Canada’s job gains blow past forecasts

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Do we have a breakdown by province?

Ah.. here we go:

Despite the big jump in March, Gulati said the market was simply catching up after either weak growth or job losses in recent months, and that job gains over 2012 will likely even out to an average of between 10,000 and 20,000 a month.

Gains in March were spread across a host of industries, including health care, culture and recreation and public administration. The natural resources industry -- the fastest growing in the country -- continued to see strong demand for labour. Modest increases were also seen in Canada's manufacturing sector.

Most of the jobs were created in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.

Canadian youth are still struggling to find work. The unemployment rate for 15- to 24-year-old is 13.9%, remaining essentially unchanged since July 2009.
Employment edges up in March: StatsCan

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canadian youth are still struggling to find work. The unemployment
rate for 15- to 24-year-old is 13.9%, remaining essentially unchanged since
July 2009.

My daughter will be coming home from Halifax in two weeks. She can't find work beyond pt time in retail or fast food.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
My daughter will be coming home from Halifax in two weeks. She can't find work beyond pt time in retail or fast food.

While I agree that the youth need more opportunity, they begin the statistic at 15.

15? Really?

Before I get "when I was your age" posts, let's just consider that in this day and age, maybe 15 is a bit too young to expect someone to be employed anyway.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The conservatives are doing a great job, just think how better it would be if they were real conservatives or classic liberals.

We should be proud of Steven Harper in his quest to de-socialize Canada.

I say Durry, you become Durry. I say Con and you become Con.

This is fun!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
While I agree that the youth need more opportunity, they begin the statistic at 15.

15? Really?

Before I get "when I was your age" posts, let's just consider that in this day and age, maybe 15 is a bit too young to expect someone to be employed anyway.
She has been working since she was 14.

As for "when I was her age" there weren't jobs for anyone. The 80's were far harsher than today.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Even if they put their head together.

Apparently the Harper crew is stopping funding for Katimavik. That is ****ed.