WOW!!!! Power of a Tornado

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Years ago my whole family rushed into the root celler because a tornado was coming. My mom was really upset because
she didn't want to lose the house. As it turned out, we lost the chicken coop and most of the chickens as well as the woodshed
and the cow barn. The main barn and the house were fine.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Years ago my whole family rushed into the root celler because a tornado was coming. My mom was really upset because
she didn't want to lose the house. As it turned out, we lost the chicken coop and most of the chickens as well as the woodshed
and the cow barn. The main barn and the house were fine.
Our 30X30 garage went up about 50ft and landed on the house. What a freakin' mess.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
We have plenty of tornadoes around here every year, but very few of that magnitude...last F5 around here was 5 years ago...one hell of a mess...

F5 Tornado in Elie, MB From Different Vantage Point - YouTube

I came close to being caught in a tornado while working on a hospital roof a lot of years back...luckily there was a river behind the hospital and the tornado switched direction when it hit the water...we were trying to get the tarps secured in the wind before we actually saw what it was and before we knew it, the whole thing was over...

It wasn't a very powerful one, but still could have been ugly for me and my crew...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I lived through a tornado, 30 years later and I still can't sleep during a T-Storm.

I was a kid when a massive tornado went through downtown Woodstock, we lived about an hour away from there. I got really freaked out whenever we had a thunder storm, ready to make a mad dash into the basement. I still get really unnerved when one hits around here or when there are warnings. Never actually lived through one though, for which I'm grateful! The last one that ripped through Goderich last year was close enough for me.8O

This is a popular thread! We've got 39 guests currently checking up on it.;-)

Voyeurs. ;)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Our 30X30 garage went up about 50ft and landed on the house. What a freakin' mess.

I can imagine. Our farm was near Weyburn Sask. where we watched several grain elevators get turned into kindling wood.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
We have Doppler but no warning system.

What I could never figure out about Texas, was.. the safest place in a storm is your basement, but the majority of homes built in Texas are slab-on-grade. No Basement.

If I lived in Tornado alley and built a home, it would have a tunnel into a safe area deep within the bowels of the earth.

Where's Superman when you need him?? :lol: :lol:

[youtube]evUGYSptuE0[/youtube]

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Before there were videos....