End Govt Subsidies To Ethnic Magazines


dumpthemonarchy
#1
I am reading through the Celtic Connection newspaper and notice they receive financial support from the "Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage".

Businesses advertise in this paper and they seem to get a subsidy here. Why? How many newspapers get this subsidy?

If the Celtic community is so big in Canada, they should be able to support their own newspaper without any govt support. Put the money into the CBC, pay off the debt. or lower income taxes instead. I think the Celtic community could support their own newspaper in Canada.

This fed govt dept spends $15 million per year on periodicals. Way too much.
Canada Periodical Fund (Budget 2011) - Canada's Economic Action Plan (external - login to view)
 
Cliffy
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
Who cares? You would think they were spending your money. Geezuz, why don't you give it a rest. You get your balls in a knot for the most trivial nonsense. Couldn't you find something that is actually a concern in this world, like starving babies, pedophilia, cancer, stupidity? Do you have to take sedatives to sleep at night?
 
relic
+2
#3
You'd think that if the oil companys were so big in Canada they'ed be able to get along without govt support. Geebus ! Just think about all the stupid crap harper and his minions waste money on, and you goomers ready to back twenty years,or how ever far it takes to find an example of a Liberal that did something stupid, Shut Up
 
Machjo
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

I am reading through the Celtic Connection newspaper and notice they receive financial support from the "Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage".

Businesses advertise in this paper and they seem to get a subsidy here. Why? How many newspapers get this subsidy?

If the Celtic community is so big in Canada, they should be able to support their own newspaper without any govt support. Put the money into the CBC, pay off the debt. or lower income taxes instead. I think the Celtic community could support their own newspaper in Canada.

This fed govt dept spends $15 million per year on periodicals. Way too much.
Canada Periodical Fund (Budget 2011) - Canada's Economic Action Plan (external - login to view)

While I agree in principle, I'd extend it to the two largest ethnic groups too: The French and English Canadians. Why is it OK to have our CBC/SRC subsidized but Celtics not? Had you been more consistent, proposing we cut subsidies to all ethnic media, I would have agreed 100%. But when you pick and choose and believe some are "more equal than others", it becomes clear that your stance is not so principled but more self-interested.
 
Cannuck
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

While I agree in principle, I'd extend it to the two largest ethnic groups too: The French and English Canadians. Why is it OK to have our CBC/SRC subsidized but Celtics not?


Because the CBC is not targeted to any one particular ethnic group. I think that is pretty obvious.
 
Machjo
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Because the CBC is not targeted to any one particular ethnic group. I think that is pretty obvious.

On the contrary. According to StatsCan, 15% of Nunavummiut do not know English or French, thus by choosing to have the CBC/SRC in English and French, it is clearly favouring English and French Canadians over Innuit for instance. And again, English and French Canadians are ethnic groups to by definition, even though we think of them as "the norm".
 
Cannuck
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

On the contrary. According to StatsCan, 15% of Nunavummiut do not know English or French, thus by choosing to have the CBC/SRC in English and French, it is clearly favouring English and French Canadians over Innuit for instance. And again, English and French Canadians are ethnic groups to by definition, even though we think of them as "the norm".

English and French are our national languages. That is why CBC broadcasts in English and French, not because they "favour" English and French.
 
taxslave
#8
Dumpy: Did you know that McLeans which is owned by Rogers Communication is also subsidized? Which ethnic minority do they serve?
 
Cliffy
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

On the contrary. According to StatsCan, 15% of Nunavummiut do not know English or French, thus by choosing to have the CBC/SRC in English and French, it is clearly favouring English and French Canadians over Innuit for instance. And again, English and French Canadians are ethnic groups to by definition, even though we think of them as "the norm".

Norm? Norm's not here.

In a multicultural society, there is no norm. The English and French just think they are better than everybody else. "I got news for you sunshine. Pink is not well".
 
Machjo
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

English and French are our national languages.

Because the two largest ethnic groups in Canada are French and English Canadians, so they had the power to favour their own groups while presented their own ethnic group as the norm, which is what the majority does in many countries unfortunately.

That is why CBC broadcasts in English and French, not because they "favour" English and French.[/QUOTE]

They favoured English and french, and so made them official. You seem to forget why they became official in the first place. remember that at the time the Official Languages Act was passed, Residential schools were still operating!

Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Norm? Norm's not here.

In a multicultural society, there is no norm. The English and French just think they are better than everybody else. "I got news for you sunshine. Pink is not well".

I think you misunderstood me there, since you're saying the same thing I said, that English and French are not the norm, only that many English and French Canadians think they're the "norm".

We are officially "multicultural", as long as we understand that the French and English cultures aith their offiical languages are "more equal than others".
 
Cannuck
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Because the two largest ethnic groups in Canada are French and English Canadians, so they had the power to favour their own groups while presented their own ethnic group as the norm, which is what the majority does in many countries unfortunately.

It has nothing to do with ethnic groups. It has to do with working languages. I know lots of people from Polish, Dutch, Chinese, German and Mexican backgrounds that are uni-lingual English. The Chinese government doesn't "favour" English over other languages but there is an ever growing number of Chinese fluent in English.

In any event, if the CBC "favoured" English and French, they certainly wouldn't be splitting their resources for other languages.

Hockey Night In Canada in Punjabi returns on CBC
 
Spade
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

I am reading through the Celtic Connection newspaper and notice they receive financial support from the "Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage".

Damn thos Celts; time to bring the Roman legions back to spruce up the gene pool. A Roman bath anyone?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Who cares? You would think they were spending your money. Geezuz, why don't you give it a rest. You get your balls in a knot for the most trivial nonsense. Couldn't you find something that is actually a concern in this world, like starving babies, pedophilia, cancer, stupidity? Do you have to take sedatives to sleep at night?

Well, it is our money. At least 40% of my money is taken from me each paycheque. And then I hear that they aren't taking in enough and want to raise taxes to cover the wasteful spending. Cutting out useless programs is a good place to start before taking an more of my money. And even if the budget is balanced, usless programs should still be cut and some of my money returned by tax cuts.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#14
Celtic Connection is given away for free. Make suscribers pay for it and a subsidy might not be required. If they go out of business, tough. Time for these filthy barbarians to get some Roman organisation and soap, and get some order imposed on them.

Rogers gets tons of govt subsidies. Like guaranteed spectrum space for their cell phones so other providers like Mobilicity and Wind get crap coverage. End subsidies, monopolies for big corporations and the useless research tax credits.
 
CDNBear
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Celtic Connection is given away for free. Make suscribers pay for it and a subsidy might not be required. If they go out of business, tough. Time for these filthy barbarians to get some Roman organisation and soap, and get some order imposed on them.

Pearls of wisdom, from Jimmy's pupil.
 
SLM
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Celtic Connection is given away for free. Make suscribers pay for it and a subsidy might not be required. If they go out of business, tough. Time for these filthy barbarians to get some Roman organisation and soap, and get some order imposed on them.

Good grief.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Pearls of wisdom, from Jimmy's pupil.

Pretty purple font there.

(I've no real reason for replying to this post, I simply want to get my reddie so I know that everything is ok.Otherwise I worry. )
 
CDNBear
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Pretty purple font there.

Sarcastic purple, one of Karrie's greatest contributions, lol.
 
SLM
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Sarcastic purple, one of Karrie's greatest contributions, lol.

Like I've said before, I tend to just throw it out there. I've rarely seen my sarcasm confused for seriousness.

At least not from folks who think about what they read before they comment on it. And those that don't, well, that can bring it's own amusements. Lol.
 
Nuggler
+2
#19
Dumper, you're probably just pissed your "***** enlargement" magazine is not government supported.

Just ask yourself........How big do you have to be??

Happy Easter.
 
CDNBear
#20
You're on a roll this am old buddy.
 
SLM
+1 / -1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Dumper, you're probably just pissed your "***** enlargement" magazine is not government supported.

Perhaps we should be forwarding all those emails we all seem to get. Honestly, I have no use for them and deleting them seems such a waste.

Quote:

Just ask yourself........How big do you have to be??

I don't expect that someone with such antiquated thoughts will be able to grasp the concept that the measure of a man does not begin below the belt. But kudos for trying.

(Gosh, I'm sure to get a reddie now. )
 
taxslave
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Perhaps we should be forwarding all those emails we all seem to get. Honestly, I have no use for them and deleting them seems such a waste.
I don't expect that someone with such antiquated thoughts will be able to grasp the concept that the measure of a man does not begin below the belt. But kudos for trying.
(Gosh, I'm sure to get a reddie now. )

That was just so you won't be disappointed. We aim to please.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#23
Getting back to the main point here, ethnic newspapers don't need subsidies. We have a deficit of billions, no? OAS is being taken from seniors, we get more and more corporate tax cuts, and useless newspapers get govt money. Go figure.

The Punjabi on HNIC was going to be cancelled, but they found a sponsor. No subsidy here. That's the system I like.
 

Similar Threads

9
Canadian Magazines
by missile | Dec 27th, 2004
no new posts