What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag???

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
NDP votes against flag freedom bill

OTTAWA - One of the first acts of the NDP under newly elected leader Thomas Mulcair was to vote against a bill encouraging Canadians to "proudly display the National Flag of Canada."

The Conservatives and Liberals voted in favour of Bill C-288, the National Flag of Canada Act, sponsored by Tory MP John Carmichael and Heritage Minister James Moore. A previous version, introduced last year, included fines and up to two years in jail for condo boards or housing authorities that try to prevent Canadians from flying the flag.

The new version contains no such penalties.

The NDP faced some criticism for not displaying enough Canadian flags during last weekend's leadership convention. An NDP spokesman couldn't immediately explain the party's position......

NDP votes against flag freedom bill | Canada | News | Ottawa Sun

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
NDP votes against flag freedom bill
OTTAWA - One of the first acts of the NDP under newly elected leader Thomas Mulcair was to vote against a bill encouraging Canadians to "proudly display the National Flag of Canada."
The Conservatives and Liberals voted in favour of Bill C-288, the National Flag of Canada Act, sponsored by Tory MP John Carmichael and Heritage Minister James Moore. A previous version, introduced last year, included fines and up to two years in jail for condo boards or housing authorities that try to prevent Canadians from flying the flag.
The new version contains no such penalties.
The NDP faced some criticism for not displaying enough Canadian flags during last weekend's leadership convention. An NDP spokesman couldn't immediately explain the party's position......
NDP votes against flag freedom bill | Canada | News | Ottawa Sun
Guess they want to have this for at least one third of a new flag under an NDP Govt.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Indeed, dumb move politically.

But really, why was the HOC wasting time on such a bill?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
HTML:
They have it. I see flags flying from homes and apartment buildings nearly every day.

No, not all. Various times over the years a person has displayed the flag from an apartment building and been ordered to remove it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I believe in Edmonton a person was told he could not display one from his balcony; but, that, if I'm right, is the only one I can think of.

This issue is a contrived wedge issue. I'll trade you three Harpers for one Mulcair.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I believe in Edmonton a person was told he could not display one from his balcony; but, that, if I'm right, is the only one I can think of.
This issue is a contrived wedge issue. I'll trade you three Harpers for one Mulcair.
A number of times in Canada's center of the universe.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Guess they want to have this for at least one third of a new flag under an NDP Govt.

Thank you for posting that....:smile:

Last year at the Tottenham Bluegrass Festival where we often have visitors from the U.S......the proud Americans, would have their flag on their trailers....but....they would also have a Canadian flag flying a little higher out of respect.

I happened to stay over in that park after the festival until July the second before going on to the next festival, and on Canada Day everybody there flew the Canadian flag proudly...except one twit or rather twat because of her sex, had the fleur-de-lys flying on her trailer...:roll:
I told her..right in front of her husband in french "T'as beaucoup de front Mé t'as pas de classe"
Translation: You got balls but no class...
Her husband, from Ontario... only did this:roll:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What's the largest Canadian flag? I can imagine if someone were to put that in a place that would block all sunlight from an apartment or home, that might be a real problem.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
They have it. I see flags flying from homes and apartment buildings nearly every day.

Read the bill It said it would PREVENT condo associations and HOC's ruling against the flying of the flag.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
NDP proposes new Canadian Flag which promotes Canada's French heritage.. Quebec
(Canada's country within a country)

Oh Canada...

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Holly Sh!t!!! The NDP elected Thomas Mulcair as their new leader.. dam'it.

That's the biggest blunder since, I dunno... let's see.

Stéphane Dion

Lost my vote, tired of these political parties that think they need a leader from Quebec to win elections.

Let's see, is there a leader from Alberta??

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This shows just how shallow some groups are in Parliament, what the hell are we wasting all
this time for? Political rhetoric and nothing more. When someone moves in and buys a condo
they know the rules, and its not enough to start changing the entire charter of a housing project.
If you don't like the rules, don't buy into the development.
As for the flag thing, I am in BC and I live in an area where some wave the bloody thing and some
of us could care less. I am not that insecure that I have to wrap myself in a flag. I am very much
a Canadian and an proud Canadian, but I am not big on flag waving and nor singing national
anthems. On proper occasions its great, no problem. Before Hockey games on Canada Day
and so on but every day give me a break.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Oh Canada...

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Stéphane Dion

Lost my vote, tired of these political parties that think they need a leader from Quebec to win elections.

Flag hating commie bastard!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Oh Canada...

Stéphane Dion

Twins - OMG - Twins.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Thank you for posting that....:smile:
Last year at the Tottenham Bluegrass Festival where we often have visitors from the U.S......the proud Americans, would have their flag on their trailers....but....they would also have a Canadian flag flying a little higher out of respect.
I happened to stay over in that park after the festival until July the second before going on to the next festival, and on Canada Day everybody there flew the Canadian flag proudly...except one twit or rather twat because of her sex, had the fleur-de-lys flying on her trailer...:roll:
I told her..right in front of her husband in french "T'as beaucoup de front Mé t'as pas de classe"
Translation: You got balls but no class...
Her husband, from Ontario... only did this:roll:
Ever come to Vancouver Island for a bluegrass festival?